Thread: Good deal on DW performance?

User Info Menu

Default Good deal on DW performance?

I found a guy looking to sell a 7 piece (8, 10, 12, 14, 16 toms, 14 snare, 22 kick) DW Performance shell pack in the ebony finish for $1,800. The kit wasn't gigged and appears to be in like new condition.

I've checked around and everyone quotes me the exact same minimum advertised price for DW performance stuff. Based on that price (roughly $3,000), this seems like a reasonable deal. But I just wanted to make sure there aren't dealers out there selling under that minimum advertised price because that might make this not such a great deal.

Thanks!
    Doc
    Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they don't get it wrong.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Good deal on DW performance?

I would offer him $1500 and tell him to keep the 8" tom.. GC here in maine has a nice red perf. 5pc for $2200 + 15% off which I am not doing the math on now : )
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I think it is a good price. I would use the 8" but thats me.
    Conrad

User Info Menu

That's a good price, but I would try and get him down, just because if I could.
    -Tama Granstar II (12x11, 16x16, 22x16)
    -Yamaha 7000 Series (12x8, 13x9, 16x16 22x18)
    -Crush Sublime E3 (12x8, 16x14, 24x17)
    -Pearl Mixed Series kit (8x7, 10x8, 15x13, 20x14)
    -Brady Jarrah Ply 8x14
    -HHG Purpleheart/Cherry Stave 7x14
    -HHG Red Birch Stave 7x14
    -Pearl Masters MCX 5.5x14
    -Pearl Steel (Pre-Sensitone) 6.5x14
    -Pearl Vintage Professional Series 6.5x14
    -Tama Imperialstar Seamless Steel 6.5x14
    -Tama Soundworks Maple 6.5x14
    -Premier (African Mahogany with Beech Re-rings) 8x14
    -Remo Bravo II 5.5x14
    -OCDP Maple 6x14
    -Crush Aluminum 5.5x14
    -Crush 10 ply Maple 6x14
    -Trixon Birch 5.5x14
    -Wuhan Traditional Cymbals
    -Paiste 2002, 602,

User Info Menu

It is not an 'oh my god what did I do" if you miss it price but it is a good price and were I in the market I would definatly have a look and think about it. check life on the heads and everything if they are new/good then that adds a little value, if they are old beat dented then replacement will cost a penny or two.. but overall sounds like a good deal to me.
    We Have nothing to fear but Reefs and Pirates

I tried taking life seriously, didn't much like it so now what I take seriously is living

User Info Menu

I'm not sure where your located at but I would check CL first even the surrounding areas. I'm in Sacramento I picked up a dw collectors for 1200 bucks 8,10,12,14,16 and 22 I see them on there all the time usually in sf (like an hour half drive) so just saying always check around

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drmpunk View Post
    I'm not sure where your located at but I would check CL first even the surrounding areas. I'm in Sacramento I picked up a dw collectors for 1200 bucks 8,10,12,14,16 and 22 I see them on there all the time usually in sf (like an hour half drive) so just saying always check around
    WOW Now that is a steal of a deal..I have seen Collectors on cl here but the cheapest is always around $2500 and is usually a 4pc
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

$1,200 for 6 piece collectors series? That's nuts. They are no where near that price here.

Thanks for the advice guys. I pulled the trigger on them. He was originally asking $2,400 and I got him down to $1,800. They're in excellent shape so it saved me $1,200 over buying new. I ordered some combination tom/cymbal stands and just have to wait for those to come in before I can get the kit setup.
    Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they don't get it wrong.

User Info Menu

Congratulations, be sure to post some picks of them. I think you got a good deal, the CA craigslist is the only place I generally see really low priced collectors kits. Lots of starving musicians I guess.

User Info Menu

Once I get the racks and get the kit setup I'll post some up some pics.

I did have a chance to tune them up yesterday. My initial impression is that the snare and kick sound great. I think I'm going to have to reserve judgement on the toms until I have some time to play them. The FAST sizes are new to me.

User Info Menu

Congrats Doc! Can't wait for the pics!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Congrats Doc! Can't wait for the pics!
    +1............................we loooove pics.

Congrats on the new kit