Thread: Akin to BlueSky's 'Discouraged' thread...

User Info Menu

Default Akin to BlueSky's 'Discouraged' thread...

Hey guys,

I've had about 6 lesson thus far, two with one teacher, and about 4 with the current one. It seems like everything has gotten in the way of progress, after the first two lessons, I got basically blown off by that teacher, found my new guy (who I like a LOT) but after my first four lessons, I've been away for the last 3 weeks. Personal issues have taken precedence over drumming, and my mom passed away this Wednesday... So, not much time to spend on drums. I will be going back to my lessons starting Tuesday, but I wonder where I ought to be in terms of capabilities by now. Granted, I've had no practice time in weeks.

My current teacher is as big on reading as playing, which I think is a good thing. But as far as actually playing, I've only gotten about as far as the music annotated at the beginning of BlueSky's thread. Nothing beyond that, to this point. I don't know what kind of progress one should EXPECT from lessons; that's kind of what I'm asking. I even purchased a drum course, which has books, DVDs and on-line stuff, as a supplement to my live lessons. I haven't gotten into it enough to know if that course will cause conflicts with my live lessons or not. When I started with my current teacher, he told me I should, within 3 months, be able to play an AC/DC tune from written music (he showed me the music, don't recall the tune, seemed to be a moderately challenging piece, drumming-wise), but clearly with all the interruptions, that timetable is way off.

I guess I'm just wondering what kinds of things people think a new drummer should be 'up to' playing after a certain amount of time. I know this is all VERY individual, but I'd like to think I could learn to play at least a simple song within the next month, now that I'll be able to get back into regular lessons and practice again. What do you guys think? Can you give me some examples of simple drum songs that I might think of being able to play within the next 4-6 weeks?
    Last edited by cabasner; 09-22-2013 at 08:45 PM.
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

Default Re: Akin to BlueSky's 'Discouraged' thread...

You've had a lot of stuff going on. Take your time and allow yourself to enjoy the process. It takes awhile to see anything significant. Patience is your friend. Embrace her.

Very, very sorry to hear about your mom.

User Info Menu

Hi Cabasner,

Sorry to hear about your Mom.

When I started playing "drums" I had to practice the rudiments for hours (military pipe band). Took me about 6 months to get a double stroke roll working in my favour. Playing the "kit" took a really long time to just get consistent....Then I stopped for 20 years.....I am currently working on getting better all the time.

Life is busy, 3 kids, I am away 1/2 the year due to work etc etc. The important thing is to set a goal and practice/work towards it. If it is not working one day, relax and come back to it later. Gradually things start to click and you will have a harder and harder time remembering when things didn't work as well.

Do not be discouraged by the 10 year old prodigy on youtube that can cover hit songs with seemingly effortless playing, play for you and always try to achieve the goal you set.

It is important to have an instructor but also on your own have that practice pad going and working your hand coordination, tap your feet, get a good sense of the rhythm to a song your listening to, anything to keep you interested. Quality practices are way better than quantity, but if you can do snippets...15 minutes a day working on something it will help, also spaz out on the skins...pound out that frustration or tension...I find drums a great release and sometimes I play something that I never thought possible

I am currently trying to learn how to play a bass guitar....fingers hurt like heck and my brain seems disconnected from the things I want to do...but after working on it for a month I can see things getting better, and my drumming has improved?...

Remember that everything is not instant... just make it fun
    Brent H

User Info Menu

cabasner, let me say first that I am sorry for the loss of your mother. This is certainly a time when focus away from the drums will be expected.

As to your expectations, the expression is that you have to learn to walk before you can run. On the other hand, you need to talk with your instructor about your goals. Obviously, if he can teach you things that will have you able to play to a simple song, it will inspire you to keep learning.

You have to Give yourself a little grace here, though, because you have had other things that are keeping you busy. Progress in in part be determined by the amount of time that you have to devote to consistent practice.

Hang in there, and remember that each little success will ultimately lead you to the goal of playing.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

cabasner, I am sorry about your mother.

Give yourself some breathing time, as you are undoubtedly getting pulled in a lot of directions. On the other hand, having some drum practice to focus on may make things easier to deal with.

Progress really is very personal, as so much depends on the time you get to spend practicing, and what clicks quickly for one person might not for the other, and vice versa. Talk to your teacher about your expectations and his.
    LP Bongos
    10" Remo Festival Djembe
    12" Toca Synergy Vuur Djembe
    Finger Darbuka
    8" X 14" Mid-East metal Darbuka
    Meinl bongo snare cajon
    16" Remo Buffalo drum
    12" Meinl frame drum
    10" Remo frame drum
    ...and more to come, I hope...

User Info Menu

cabasner, first my condolence goes out to you and your family for the loss of your mother. Where should a beginning drummer be within a short amount of time? In my opinion, it depends on the ability of the drummer. Some natural sense of time and rhythm can help speed things up. It took me at least one year to gain confidence to jam with people and another 27+ years to the present day to remain committed to drumming. Some folks are gifted. Others struggle to maintain a beat. I often find myself asking the same question. How good should I be after playing all these years? Progress can be measured in so many different ways but I keep getting calls to gig out so I must be doing the right thing??
    Last edited by late8; 09-25-2013 at 10:24 AM.

User Info Menu

Very sorry to hear of your loss, cabasner.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Coldplay Yellow, it's even easier than AC/DC. It was the first song I learned.

In the big scheme of things you're just starting out. Many players have played for many years. I've played for 4 or 5 years and am still not very good. But I enjoy every minute of it.
    Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they don't get it wrong.

User Info Menu

Sorry about your loss recently. As far as where you should be at this juncture. First everybody is different and learns depending on your own natural skill set, whatever level that turns out to be. Second you have a lot on your plate right now, so I would just take it as it comes and not worry about it till things die down a bit. Thirdly, your teacher seems to be pretty old school. I know that being able to play just from notation is kinda important, especially if your a session drummer, or being paid to play commercials or sit com jingles, but depending on how much of your daily session is devoted to learning notation, he may be bordering on the obsessive in the beginning. A new player wants to see what they can accomplish on the kit more than learning what each symbol means first, then taking it to the kit. There are plenty of pro players that have never learned how to read music. But that's just me. Take it as it comes. Another simple tune is No Fun by Iggy Pop. Repetitive, simple, and fun to play if you have a kit at home.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Cabasner, I am so very sorry for your loss. I can only imagine what a difficult time this might be for you. Research has shown that losing a parent is one of the most stressful situations a person can experience, second only to losing a spouse. And then you add in your "stress" about your ability and everything seems to be even worse.
    After reading all the replies to my original post, I was heartened to hear that I wasn't as bad off as I thought, and it gave me new hope, so to speak. I also had someone send me a video that has helped a great deal - and I've only been able to sit at my kit for about 15 minutes since I saw it.
    Since I'm a newbie like you, I can't help with a time frame, but I was glad to see that you have a new teacher you like.
    Hopefully a year from now we will both be like this: !
    Take care, man.
    "Well-behaved women rarely make history."
    -Laurel Thatcher Ulrich, 1976

User Info Menu

Cabasner, sorry for your loss. I lost my Mom 2 years ago at 87, but it was expected. I was 64.

Today is 54 years to the day that my Dad died, 4 days after his 38th birthday. I was 12 and I don't think I ever got over that.

I still miss them both.

User Info Menu

My Prayers and Condolences for you and your family Cabasner.....................

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Akin to BlueSky's 'Discouraged' thread...

Cabasner, you've had a lot happen to you in the past couple of weeks. What you're going through is perfectly normal. (I still miss my parents, who passed away in 1980 and 1982 respectively.) It's almost a cliche, but time does heal everything. As drummer said, patience is your friend, so hug her. Sounds like you found a better drum teacher, too, so you can focus on your drumming (both the reading and the sticking).

Know that you have a lot of drumming brothers and sisters who are here with you and for you...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

One of the things I run into is feeling like im not learning anything. I think a lot of that is because its happening slowly and you just dont notice. if you take a step back and look at what you know now and what you can do now compared to before your first lesson you have probably come a lot farther then you think. ive decided to take a 5 minute video of me playing something easy and something chalenging on once a month so I can look at it and say .. wow .. I remember when just doing 1/4 notes at 60bpm was hard. and now I can do almost twice that .

sorry for your loss, I lost my mother a little over a year ago and Im not sure I even believe it happened yet.

you came to a great place full of great people here keep at it and remember. drumming is fun
    We Have nothing to fear but Reefs and Pirates

I tried taking life seriously, didn't much like it so now what I take seriously is living

User Info Menu

First of all, my very sincere thanks to all of you who have sent your kind thoughts about my mom. When something like losing a parent happens, even though I am 55 and she was 84, it makes it seem like nothing else has any importance at all. I have been fortunate in one way today. I had placed my order for my rack hardware and cymbals a week ago, and all that stuff arrived today. For the first time in two weeks, I was focusing on something other than my mom, and I had been wondering when that would finally happen. I am thankful that that first thing was drum related I hope my mom is looking down from heaven and hoping that she is glad that I've finally found something that has diverted my emotions from the sadness of her loss. It still hits me hard that I can't pick up the phone and tell her how thrilled I am with my new toys, and how neat everything is. It's going to be a VERY long time until I'm used to that new reality that I can't ever do that again...

Again, thank all of you for your very sensitive understanding. I'm not sure I had a clue that this would be this difficult. I thought that since I knew losing one or both of my folks was inevitable, that I was prepared and would be okay. I guess we never really know how we'll react when the real thing happens. I appreciate more than you know that all of you have been so gracious and kind. You are all good people.
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cabasner View Post
    I have been fortunate in one way today. I had placed my order for my rack hardware and cymbals a week ago, and all that stuff arrived today. For the first time in two weeks, I was focusing on something other than my mom, and I had been wondering when that would finally happen. I am thankful that that first thing was drum related I hope my mom is looking down from heaven and hoping that she is glad that I've finally found something that has diverted my emotions from the sadness of her loss. It still hits me hard that I can't pick up the phone and tell her how thrilled I am with my new toys, and how neat everything is. It's going to be a VERY long time until I'm used to that new reality that I can't ever do that again...
    She knows.
    "Well-behaved women rarely make history."
    -Laurel Thatcher Ulrich, 1976