Thread: Drum Kit & Rack Hardware Cases or Covers

User Info Menu

Default Drum Kit & Rack Hardware Cases or Covers

Hi All,

I will hopefully be receiving my new DW kit soon. One thing I had not yet considered was cases, covers or bags for the drums and cymbals. I do not plan on playing out, but nonetheless, I want to have these drums (DW Collectors) protected as robustly as possible if/when they ever DO get moved for ANY reason. Weight is not an issue. In that light, I guess I'm looking for recommendations on the best hard shell cases. I saw SKB cases that look outstanding. I know they have a great reputation in the guitar/bass world (I have one of their iSeries waterproof hard cases for my '54 Masterbuilt Stratocaster and it is an absolute TANK!) I wonder if their drum cases are similar. What I've thought about is the following:

1-SKB-D1820
    1-SKB-D0810 **
    1-SKB-D1012 **
    1-SKB-D1416
    1-SKB-D5514
    1-SKB-CV22W (for up to 8 cymbals)

The ones marked ** might need to be one diameter up, depending upon the exact diameter of the suspension rings for the 8x10 and 10x12 rack toms. I may have to wait until I actually get the drums in hand to determine the correct case size.

Do any of you have experience with these cases, or could you recommend something equivalent or better? I don't want to break the bank, but these cases above will run close to a $1K. Not cheap, but worth the protection, if they are as good as I think they might be. Thoughts?

While we're at it, what about cases or bags/covers for the DW rack hardware that I'm getting DW Sabian Vault Edge snare, and my Pearl Demon double pedals already have their own cases.
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum Kit & Rack Hardware Cases or Covers

SKB are more than adequate. I have some Humes and Berg which are very similar. Hard shell moulded plastic. I would go normal size but power tom depth, then glue some foam into the top and bottom, this gives the drum a nice snug package.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

just wondering why you would spend 1,000 bucks on cases for your drums if you dont plan on taking the drums out of the house..... put the money in the bank, and if you ever decide to take the drums out ,, THEN buy the cases ..
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Well, I'm certain that a house move is in the offing...it's just a question of when. You are correct that it DOES sound a little foolish. I also agree that having expensive cases for a single move is overkill, too. Our move would only be about 10 miles or so, and I certainly could make a few trips with the drums carefully situation in our SUV, and not let movers get their hands on them. Bottom line, though, is that even if I don't end up getting the cases right away, I want to know which ones to get when I really WILL need 'em.

Honestly, thanks for asking a fairly obviously question. It really DOESN'T make a lot of sense to spend a grand on equipment to be used one or two times and then sit in a corner. I still want input on which ones to get, however.

Thanks!
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

Get some tuxedo bags that's what I keep my dw' s in and I gig them every once in awhile skb cases are very nice and I use them for my c&c kit but they only get used when I tour. Personally i think that's way over kill if you never plan to gig them
    Last edited by drmpunk; 09-23-2013 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Spelling

User Info Menu

Tuxedo bags are good, I've got some that I've had for a long time. The Ahead armor bags also look pretty nice and should be fine for the occasional move. If you've got the money to spare the SKB are great but maybe overkill.

User Info Menu

i gig often i use flight cases , one case holds my kick and cymbals , one holds all 3 toms and the snare, and one hardware case , all have wheels and padded very well ,, the bad part is that you need a truck to haul them around. they are great protection for your kit , plus i can move my whole kit in two trips to the truck. and i payed less than 1,000 bucks for them .
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

If $1000 isn't going to kill you why not invest in the SKB? You spent a pretty penny buying the DW Collectors, it makes sense to me to protect them regardless if your move is 10 miles or 10 feet. I have soft bags but will invest in SKB cases soon. I don't gig but my USA Customs will have SKB cases soon.

If you were a guitar player and had a Martin, would you have to ask yourself "Nylon or hard case?" I would assume maybe a hard case "just because?"...

User Info Menu

Bags would be the ticket if you new house is tight for storage space. You have to think, while not in use, which sounds like 95 percent of the time. The cases will be taking up a large corner, mostly the 22" kick case is a cumbersome real estate hog. Bags on the other hand can be flattened and put on a closet shelf.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

at least when your old and decrepit your wife can sell them for a few weeks worth of groceries

but seriously unless you planing on taking them on a plane or a open trailer anytime soon ...just get the pro soft case's

User Info Menu

I was thinking about getting a hard shell conga case for my hardware. 16'' dia 30'' deep. That's way too short though. It'd need to have wheels too. There's used one around for cheap.
    Last edited by slinky; 09-26-2013 at 05:57 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Thanks for your opinions, guys. I love that you can ask anything here and get opinions. The thing I like best is that it allows me to think about things sometimes in ways I had not previously considered. Of course, as in all these situations where we ask for advice, we all must make our own decisions. So, first, I found out that the price for the SKBs, even including a case for an additional 12x14 floor tom that I decided to add to my forthcoming kit, is going to be less that $1K, closer to $800, which isn't horribly bad. As late8 pointed out, if you've got high end drums, why not protect 'em as best as possible. I've only had one stringed instrument, a 5 string bass, that didn't come with a hard shell case, and while the gig bag that it DID come with was pretty decent, I was never happy with it. I parted with that bass a few years back, but was always worried about the potential to hurt it. More significant is the point that signia fan brought up, which is the space issue. I agree that it will be a lot of room taken up just sitting in a corner, rarely used. If we end up getting a bigger house, which it looks like we are likely to do, I'll make sure the 'music room', whichever room that turns out to be, will be big enough to store them without too much of a problem. Thanks a bunch, guys!
    Last edited by cabasner; 09-26-2013 at 10:23 PM.

User Info Menu

I have the Aheads- while not hardcases, they are nice and thick and do a great job keeping things from getting beat up. Heads up, they are a tad oversize if you go off dimensions. I ended up with a 9x13 case for my 10x13 tom (didn't want to wait for the order), and it fits it just fine.

User Info Menu

I found a good deal on a set of used hard cases from a local music store. I knew I would be moving to a new church, and I didn't want anything to happen to my drums (at the time, it was only my Catalina kit). I still prefer to get hard cases for my guitars and drums, because one thing I can count on is moving again, at some point, and my stuff is often handled by the people in the church. Not that I'm complaining about that. I'm grateful for the help, but they are usually not quite as careful with things as I would be. Knowing that, I just take precautions.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cabasner View Post
    Thanks for your opinions, guys. I love that you can ask anything here and get opinions. The thing I like best is that it allows me to think about things sometimes in ways I had not previously considered. Of course, as in all these situations where we ask for advice, we all must make our own decisions. So, first, I found out that the price for the SKBs, even including a case for an additional 12x14 floor tom that I decided to add to my forthcoming kit, is going to be less that $1K, closer to $800, which isn't horribly bad. As late8 pointed out, if you've got high end drums, why not protect 'em as best as possible. I've only had one stringed instrument, a 5 string bass, that didn't come with a hard shell case, and while the gig bag that it DID come with was pretty decent, I was never happy with it. I parted with that bass a few years back, but was always worried about the potential to hurt it. More significant is the point that signia fan brought up, which is the space issue. I agree that it will be a lot of room taken up just sitting in a corner, rarely used. If we end up getting a bigger house, which it looks like we are likely to do, I'll make sure the 'music room', whichever room that turns out to be, will be big enough to store them without too much of a problem. Thanks a bunch, guys!
    I recently had the same choice to make. I picked up a sweet set of Tama Artstar Customs and knew that I would be moving them around and playing out in a new band. I looked into hard cases, both Humes and Berg and SKB. Some of my tom sizes, (power) were not popular SKB sizes.

I was doing some research and weighing the advantage of protection vs. size and storage issues. I play mostly smaller venues, so I have to be able to have these cases not take up a ton of room. And while cases are nice for protection, and a must for air travel and for situations where YOU are not handling your gear, they are not always the best for all situations.

I have a smaller apartment and practice at a friend's house. There is not a lot of extra room for MORE equipment. I already have a nine-piece Tama Granstar in Protection Racket soft cases in one of my rooms now.

I figured that I was the one that would be moving most of my equipment and that I would prefer to be able to stuff four soft cases inside the Bass drum case.

I love my Protection Racket Cases! (Ahead makes just about the same thing) They offer great protection with a sturdy soft exterior and a soft fleece lined material. They are easier on vehicle interiors than hard cases. They cost less. They are not space hogs. They are easy to load and unload on stage and at home. And they look sharp.

Outside of cost, I think the biggest issue for consideration would be space. If you are cool with both, then either hard or soft are fine. SKB prices aren't too bad either.

Make sure you don't forget to protect your cymbals too! If I wasn't moving around too much, I would get a hard cymbal case. But I am the one putting hands on my gear, so soft case it is. The soft cymbal cases are great for fast load-ins and load-outs. I have a nice Ahead Armor 24" cymbal case that I like.

Also, one consideration if you go with hard cymbal case is how many cymbals you have. If you are one of those cymbal hoarders, make sure that you try cramming all your pies in there before your option for returning the case expires.

Good luck.

User Info Menu

Cool additional info, guys, thanks for the stuff still coming in.

I was looking at the Ahead website, and they sure LOOK like they are hard cases. I gotta tell ya, they sure look pretty heavy duty, even if they're not hard sided. I gather that they do, indeed, collapse to some degree when in storage (i.e., when not in use)? Could anyone who knows tell me how much they do squish down? I'm also beginning to think that maybe those kind of cases/covers might work for my purposes. I can pretty much guarantee that I'll never gig out, and if by some miraculous case I ever do, it would be me doing the moving, or at least supervising the move. I also do kind of like the thought of the case conforming a bit more to the drums than a hard case would.

So, now that I've opened my eyes a bit more because of you fine folks, convince me why I WOULDN'T want to go with the Aheads as opposed to the SKBs. I did a look a bit at the Protection Racket cases, but there didn't seem, to me, anyway, to be as much detail about their overall construction (construction details, yes, but a complete case, not so much). Maybe I just looking at the right place.

Regarding cymbals, the SKB case I was looking at is supposed to hold 8 cymbals. I will have, once my new rack and accessories arrives, 5 total, (1 ride, 2 crashes, and a top/bottom hi hat set).
    Last edited by cabasner; 09-29-2013 at 05:12 PM.

User Info Menu

I have a set of Ahead cases. They are excellent & give great protection. They're strong enough to stack safely with the drums inside, and when they're empty I store them inside each other.
    They won't all fit inside each other with the sizes I have, but I can get the 10" into the 12", into the 16", into the 20". That just leaves the 13" tom & 14" snare cases to store separately.
    Mapex Armory - Photon Blue
    Mapex VXB kit - Transparent Black
    Mapex & Pearl snares
    Paiste Alpha & RUDE cymbals
    Remo & Vater

User Info Menu

I should have just gotten on YouTube and looked at all the cases I was interested in. Boy, was I surprised about how the SKB and Gator hard cases are built, and not in a good way! They really have little or no padding inside them, contrary to what I expected. Yes, they are hard on the exterior, but if you want any significant padding inside, you're going to have to spend quite a bit on foam or other types of pads to ensure the drums don't get banged around inside them. Yes, I did see that they have 3 or 4 padded pieces that are supposed to orient the drum inside the case, but for ME, that's not enough. I'm thinking that the super padding of the Ahead cases, even though they are not hard sided, would take a reasonably hefty bump and still protect the drum inside. And, as Dodeska noted, it had occurred to me that you could 'nest' those cases inside each other, if not in every case, then for at least a decent number of them.

So, I think I've changed my mind...I think I'm gonna go with the Ahead cases, proving once again, that you get great advice here, and the YouTube is a great place to go see things that you can't otherwise get your hands on!

User Info Menu

hardcase uk make some nice cases i have a set for traveling

User Info Menu

Geez! If you you are only going to move them once, put them in some cardboard boxes with some foam. Save a lot of $$ and space as well because boxes can be disposed of.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I (& my son) use alot of "tuxedo cases" by humes & borg....
    I use a thin sheet of foam rubber (available cheap from scrap material whrhse) around a drum for extra protection.....
    Works for me now that im not tourin da world no mo.....
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!