Thread: jelly bean kits

User Info Menu

Default jelly bean kits

There are so many pics of beautiful kits here on DC I'm jealous quite often. The first kit I bought myself was a shell pack brand new but since then I have always found and bought strays that just couldn't be passed on or at least it seemed at the time.

I kinda like piecing together drums into a nice kit. My most recent addition are the Yamaha kicks I got the other day which I think are going to stay at home for a nice home kit. Those kicks were originally from a shell pack and somehow, over the years, stayed together. I do try to keep things matched in color as much as possible.

Any of you like doing this or would it bother you too much?
    Last edited by slinky; 10-03-2013 at 04:12 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Default Re: jelly bean kits

if they were all the same make and say all in a sparkle i wouldn't mind that, Abe Laborial Jr has a Green/Red/Blue DW kit he uses when touring with Paul McCartney, if they were totally different finishes i wouldn't like that, Each to there own though.

Cheers Mark
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Yeah I've seen pics of Abe's kit, pretty interesting. I think it works better for sparkle finishes....I couldn't imagine doing the same with various fades.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

I've been seeing an ad on the local CL for a Pearl MMX kit. It's a big kit: two floor toms, at least three rack toms, with a snare included. There are ZERO drums with matching finishes. Solids, bursts, fades, whatever. I'm sure they sound great, but this thing is an absolute eyesore.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

oooooo, I'd love a Fibes Crystalite or Ludwig Vistalite, multi-colored, Jellybean kit!
    If you mean all different makes and finishes of drums, you may mean a Frankenstein kit?
    The sound is what really matters but if you want it more so for looks, jelly beans are cool.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 10-03-2013 at 11:13 AM.

User Info Menu

I call them mutt kits.

I played on a vintage Rogers kick with 2 Tama toms and snare for years. As long as it sounds good, I'm good.

User Info Menu

Jelly bean kits are nice. They have a nice resonant ring to them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    I've been seeing an ad on the local CL for a Pearl MMX kit. It's a big kit: two floor toms, at least three rack toms, with a snare included. There are ZERO drums with matching finishes. Solids, bursts, fades, whatever. I'm sure they sound great, but this thing is an absolute eyesore.
    yeah, saw it too quite an eyesore LOL. 3000 not bad for such a big 8 pce kit with all the hardware, rack, double pedal etc. No cymbals. A paint job would blend them all into one nice kit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    yeah, saw it too quite an eyesore LOL. 3000 not bad for such a big 8 pce kit with all the hardware, rack, double pedal etc. No cymbals. A paint job would blend them all into one nice kit.
    Yup, that's the one.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

I have my 1963 Super Classic's in blue sparkle and am working on getting some other preserial sparkle drums to go with it.

So far I have:
    13" Blue Sparkle Ludwig
    13" Silver Sparkle Ludwig
    16" Blue Sparkle Ludwig
    22" Blue Sparkle Ludwig
    14" Blue Sparkle Super Classic Snare Ludwig

The blue drums are an original kit. I'd like to get a Red or Green Sparkle Floor tom too. (Preserial of course )
    -Steven

User Info Menu

lol yes Frankenstein kits do apply to this. I try to keep colors together but it'll change up like black kick and red rack tom. I'd love to have some of the awesome kits you guys own, all matching all born on the same day and hopefully someday I will have that again.

When I lived in California I use to go to San Francisco a lot and would always pop into Sam Adato's Drum Shop. Sam always had something I wanted and bought more than one drum from him. Those kinds of shops are the best. Granted GC is right up the street from Sam but his shop is way cooler.

Sam in the shop

Last edited by slinky; 10-03-2013 at 07:12 PM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

that's my kinda shop.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

i want one of those, sign me up!
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

would'nt bother me! been thinking of mix and matching for years with the right drums.
    considering a red fade tom to add to my 3 piece blue fade/titanium burst snare tama at the moment.
    don't put off till tomorrow what you can put off today

User Info Menu

If I found three or four of the best sounding drums in the world, I wouldn't care less if they all matched in color. From behind a set, all you see is white circles any how! (or clear).

all the best...

User Info Menu

I personaly cant stand them. But to each his own.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    Not usually my thing but I do like those.

User Info Menu

I think they are beautifull and they would look good in my studio beside my MCX.

User Info Menu

I wanna go to Sam's Drum Shop.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 8beat View Post
    I wanna go to Sam's Drum Shop.
    I don't blame you cause he sure has a big assortment of drums. Probably pick a couple of good deals.