Thread: DW Collectors Edition Question

User Info Menu

Default DW Collectors Edition Question

Hi, this is my first post here and was wondering if I could draw on some of your collective wisdom and experience.

I'm looking at buying a kit for my lady, I've found a Used DW Collectors series I'm interested in.

It includes the following: It's a 4 piece, with the DW Tom Stand included, in the following sizes,

18x22 Bass
    10” Tom
    12” Tom
    18” Floor tom

The set is wrapped with a set of SicSkinz drum wraps. Under this wrap they are the following color: Ultra White Marie.

I am a novice and so my knowledge is limited, however, as I understand it, there are odd sizes here. Is the 18” Floor Tom an odd tom size there? What about the rest of the set?

Was just wondering what differences I should expect from this size combination as opposed to a combination that could be considered standard. Also, with it being a custom made kit, what application or style do you think these sizes would have been designed for or best suited too?

It is a local musician who apparently has 4 sets. He needs to get rid of one and so he put it up for sale in a local music shop. He had it listed for 2000.00, then it went down to 1800.00. I went in and offered 1500.00 cash and he accepted.

In addition to the above question I was wondering what y'all think of the price?

Any and all help with this would be greatly appreciated.

User Info Menu

Default Re: DW Collectors Edition Question

Going from 10 and 12 to 18 is kind of a big jump. But some people have a hard time getting a deep, low sound from a 14 or 16. That might be why they have an 18.
    Mapex Meridian Maple
    12"x9", 14"x14", 16"x16", 22"x18"

Addiction Drum Design custom 14"x7" segment snare
    Ludwig Epic 14"x7" "Brick" snare with custom paint
    DW Collector's Series 14"x6.5" Black Nickel Over Brass snare

Zildjian A Custom
    14" Mastersound HiHats
    16" Projection Crash
    18" Projection Crash
    21" Rezo Ride

Evans Drum Heads

Meinl Cajon
    Meinl Large Studio Shaker
    LP Egg Shaker
    LP Cyclops Tambourine

User Info Menu

yeah I agree the 12 to 18 is a big jump but I don't think it is that big a deal, personally I would rather have a 14" or 16" but woud not turn it down.. $1500 is a great deal IMO.. Plus because it's wrapped it would be easy to find a 16" floor tom to go with it and wrap it in the same color.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I'm a bit on the skeptical side. Wondering why anyone would wrap a DW kit other than to hide severe damage is concerning.

The difference in sizes from 12 to 18 wouldn't be that big a deal as you can tune the 18" up to be a 16" fairly easily.

Keep in mind if you are just buying a shell pack you are going to double your expense by the time you purchase cymbals and all the other hardware you are going to eventually need.

Unless this recipient is a long term working drummer, I'd set a budget of $1000.00 for a complete drum set with cymbals and hardware.

On top of that, you'll still need to purchase a snare drum.

You can do better with your investment money than $1500.00 on a partial kit, let alone used and I'd bet abused.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I'm a bit on the skeptical side. Wondering why anyone would wrap a DW kit other than to hide severe damage is concerning.

The difference in sizes from 12 to 18 wouldn't be that big a deal as you can tune the 18" up to be a 16" fairly easily.

Keep in mind if you are just buying a shell pack you are going to double your expense by the time you purchase cymbals and all the other hardware you are going to eventually need.

Unless this recipient is a long term working drummer, I'd set a budget of $1000.00 for a complete drum set with cymbals and hardware.

On top of that, you'll still need to purchase a snare drum.

You can do better with your investment money than $1500.00 on a partial kit, let alone used and I'd bet abused.
    Agreed, pretty suspect to wrap a collectors series kit...be careful.
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

I'm with bish that's fishy and the 18 is a big jump makes me think there was something wrong with the kit and the 16 couldn't be salvaged. 1500 is not bad but once again you still got a lot of $$$ to go before you have a playable kit.

User Info Menu

I would not touch any DW wrapped in an aftermarket skin. Sounds far too suspect.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Thats a good point about the possible damage, it is a good price for a collectors kit even w/o the snare.. Must be the liberal in me coming out as I am far too trusting these days
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Some of your replies had me very concerned. ..

I pulled off the sicskinz wraps, as they are only glued along the edges where they overlap, and I discovered that the drums look fine underneath and the original finish seems to look as it should.

Thank you all for your replies...

User Info Menu

if it stamp inside the note it a dw collector if it not don't touch it with a 20 feet stick

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

Good info, I called DW and gave them the numbers that are inside and it is a legid DW set.. Thanks..

User Info Menu

Good background checks--glad you came to the forum to check first! Let us know how things turn out.
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)

User Info Menu

Hey David,
    Good luck with whatever you choose to do, but I have one more suggestion for you. I'm a newbie myself, about to get a new DW Collectors kit. One thing you might check is to find out what the 'natural shell note' is for each of the shells (drums), and then ask DW if they sound like an appropriate 'set'. Let me explain. In the Collectors series at least, DW determines, and stamps/labels each shell with what they have determined to be the 'natural' note of the shell. When they sell a kit, they determine what the appropriate set of shell note combinations should be. How they go about doing this I don't know, but it might not be a bad idea to determine each of the shell 'notes', and then ask DW if those shells are part of a set that they would have put together from the factory. Is this critical? Again, I don't know, but it IS another piece of data for you. If I've not made myself clear, I'll be happy to try to explain in more detail, if I can.

One last item. My forthcoming kit is a 10, 12, 16 and 20 bass. I specifically wanted a 16" floor tom, as I am a 'deep tone' oriented kind of guy. I decided I wanted to add one more floor tom to the kit, and asked my dealer and folks here whether I should go for a 14 or an 18, the overwhelming response i got was to go for the 14. The DW X shells in the 14 and 16 toms are supposed to be some of the best drums out there, or so I've been told. So, the good news for you, should you decide to add one more floor tom, you can't go wrong with a either a 14 or 16. Price wise, I think you did fine. My new 10, 12, 14, 16 and 20 bass is costing me $2975 new (I already have 2 snares and don't need another one, yet). So, $1500 for basically the same set minus one tom sounds like a great deal, as long as the drums are in decent shape. Good luck, once again!

Update: now that I've got my kit, I can attest that the 16" floor tom is BEAST! I can't wait for the 14" to arrive, and honestly, the 18 would likely have been so far beyond overkill...
    Last edited by cabasner; 10-20-2013 at 09:20 PM.
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare