Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cymbal Cleaning, What do you use thread.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cymbal Cleaning, What do you use thread.

Paiste cymbal cleaner for most of them, Zildjian for the others. Just wish I had more time and energy to get the whole collection done. At the moment the 2000 Sound Reflections set is the one that's pretty well polished up, along with the Zildjian Oriental Splash and China. But some that are like museum pieces , such as the 20" Zildjian K that's stamped "Made In Turkey" (circa 1960's, possibly earlier) or the old Paiste Formula 602 22" ride with rivets (of similar vintage) I'll leave untouched, as I want to keep them in their original state as much as I can. To take the tarnish off that's built up over the years will only destroy their vintage value.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

I've used only dish soap and water with a quick hand towel dry. I'm sure that's not the best way but I've heard letting the dust settle into the cymbals actually slows down the cymbals feedback and sounds better.

User Info Menu

Yesterday, I took 4 cymbals into the shower with me...........and old hand cloth and a can of mild abrasive powder (like Bon Ami or Barkeeper's Friend).

The cloth was a charcoal dark gray when I finished. I had also brought in old extra towels and put them on the floor outside the shower..........afterward, all the drying was done in a few minutes

My old cymbals look awesome and sound great.

Warning, if you want to keep the logo, don't clean them like I do.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Yesterday, I took 4 cymbals into the shower with me...........
    Wow, now that has the potential to be dangerous. What if you dropped a wet cymbal on its edge and it landed on your......

Toe.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Wow, now that has the potential to be dangerous. What if you dropped a wet cymbal on its edge and it landed on your......

Toe.

I'm lucky to have a big shower with a seating area............really.
    It serves as a work bench when I'm cleaning cymbals.

I used to clean my cymbals in the tub.............and then clean the tub.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I tried ketchup a couple of days ago, and it worked surprisingly well.
    Saw a guy on youtube do it.
    Yamaha Stage Custom 6 pc
    Assorted Zildjian
    Gibraltar hardware
    Zildjian laminate sticks
    LOTS of snares
    AQUARIAN heads

User Info Menu

I use only Paiste cleaner and polish.

I tried the cut lemon method with disastrous results...the cymbals were all splotchy and nasty looking.

Thankfully the cleaner fixed that up.

All is right with the world again.
    DW drums and Paiste cymbals.

User Info Menu

I just wish there was one guaranteed not to take off your logos...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    Agreed. I used Groove Juice, but I actually painstakingly taped over the Zildjian logos so that they wouldn't come off, and there wasn't a glaring spot that wasn't clean.
    "Well-behaved women rarely make history."
    -Laurel Thatcher Ulrich, 1976

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    Sabian Cymbal cleaner. Will not take off logos and is really easy to use.
    1976 Tama Imperialstar Saturn 12+1 Platina6,8,10,12,13,14,15,16 concert toms, 16, 18 floor toms, 2-22x18 Bass drums.
    1971 5x14 Ludwig acrolite snare
    Tama metalworks snare 13x6
    DW collectors Maple Blue Glass7x8, 8x10, 9x12 rack toms, 11x14, 13x16 hanging toms, 18x23 bass, 8 and 12 timbale toms, 5.5x10 Ten and Six All Maple snare, 5.5x14 Supersolid snare, DW 9000 rack system, DW 5002 Double bass pedal, DW 5000 Hi-Hat stand, DW 9000 Snare stand.
    Sabian Xs20 cymbals: 16 & 18 crash, 20 ride, 14 hats, 8 splash, 18 china.
    Zildjian cymbals: 21 ride, 15 hats. All '70's era.

User Info Menu

Nobody has mentioned Barkeeper's Friend. It's all I ever use now. And it's cheap.

Cassidy
    Cassidy
    Drumslinger

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cassidy View Post
    Nobody has mentioned Barkeeper's Friend. It's all I ever use now. And it's cheap.

Cassidy

Post #30
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...hlight=KEEPERS

"The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coolhand1969 View Post
    I rarely clean my cymbals, I wipe them off with water and dry them, that is it. But I read this post 2 weeks ago and happened to be fairly drunk and needed to go to the grocery to pick up more beer, so I had a friend pick me up (NEVER DRINK AND DRIVE,EVER) and while grabbing the brew bought 4 lemons and some ketchup. Final results, Ketchup was kind of fun, made a big mess, but did little. The lemons, on the other hand amazed me, you have to do some manual work to get them clean, but they actually did a good job. Who knew?
    Lemon juice is great but you have to use Baking Soda for the chemical reaction to completely cleaning. That's the trick IMO!
    9 out of 10 people addicted to brake fluid can't stop!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cabasner View Post
    I found it interesting, on a YouTube video a short while ago with Neil Peart's drum tech, that he would polish Neil's cymbals after every gig. This was apparently when Neil was first using Sabian Paragons, which at the time, even for him were only available in natural finish (i.e., not brilliant/shiny). The tech said that typically after 8-9 polishings, the cymbals would start to crack. Clearly the result of the polishing, or so he said. I'm sure no one here would polish theirs to that level, but something to keep in mind. So, if you don't have brilliant finish cymbals, don't try to make them into ones!

Just my $0.02.
    yea I had seen that too and it got me thinking, when you see use a corrosive cleaner or anything that causes you to see black on your rag, that's metal not just dirt, and done enough it only makes sense your thinning your cymbal overtime. I would trust a guy doing this day in and out as he's seeing actual results between excessive polishing and not.
    don't put off till tomorrow what you can put off today

User Info Menu

Gee, I really appreciate the thread on Cymbal Cleaning - now you've brought it to my attention that my cymbals need cleaning again - and after I just got finished planting 4 rose bushes. Now Im going to have to clean cymbals -- but I use Barkeepers Friend so it wont be much of a chore to do - - a hint to those who might try using it - - - wear latex gloves and for sure - wash down the cymbals after you've cleaned them with Barkeepers Friend - really warm water and Dawn dishwashing soap works really well at getting the stuff off your cymbals. To make sure you got it all off - I use Viva paper towels ( because they are a really soft, heavy duty paper towel and they wont scratch your cymbals ) and rub the entire surface of each cymbal, top and bottom sides - if ya see a greenish/blackish color on the towel, back to the dishwashing thing but then again, I might try Windex - just now thought of trying that...will let you know how that works out.
    Last edited by Warren Wright; 03-09-2014 at 03:44 PM.
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

Well, after a good soaping up and rinsing off , I sprayed em good with Windex and wiped em off with some Viva soft paper towels so I wouldn't scratch the cymbals and it removed a small amount of residue that didn't rinse off. So now I have one more step in the process but the end results will be well worth it.
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

User Info Menu

Awesome Warren Remember Pictures man! Pictures!
    "I don’t think a drummer should have to show off to get noticed. You’re like the conductor of a train. You keep the train on the tracks – let everybody else worry about everything else.” -Nathan Followill.

Grear List
    Cymbals: Zildjian K
    15" Light Hi Hats
    14" Hi Hats
    18" Dark Thin Crash
    19" Dark Thin Crash
    22" Light Ride
    Drum Kit: Gretsch Catalina Maple
    12/14/20
    Snare: Ludwig
    Epic 14"x5.5 Soon to be upgraded.

Keep the Peace!

User Info Menu

People really need to go to chemistry class.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    People really need to go to chemistry class.
    And what might we learn from it all?

User Info Menu

How all metal polish's work.

User Info Menu

I have used petrol (Gasoline) to remove greasy finger marks, old tape residue and grime which takes no effort - just a quick wipe with a soaked cloth. Unfortunately it also removes logos just as quickly, so avoid the logos if you want to keep them, it seems to leave the laquer coating intact, which is odd as it wipes the printed/painted stuff like magic. I wash em immediately afterwards using regular dishwashing detergent, then rinse off with cold water and dry them.

I don't know if this causes any damage to the bronze though. I'm a newbie with very little experience - so if I'm doing anything stupid which may lead to future problems I would appreciate it if anyone with more knowledge could put me straight. My cymbals aren't the best (B20 Stagg, Sabian Pro) but I wouldn't like to trash them through ignorance.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    You guys seen the You Tube video of the guy that buys old cymbals and "restores" them?
    Most of them he turns into effects cymbals...he uses a turn table and an angle grinder with sand paper to cut them down, LOL. To clean them, he puts them on a turntable and uses coarse grit sanding blocks to literally sand them clean. Makes me cringe just watching it.
    I've seen this guys You Tube videos. I watched the series of them out of morbid curiosity to see what stunts he was going to perform next - in the later videos he reviews some of his previous 'work', many of them start cracking - only a few weeks/months after his restoration/modifications are complete.....

User Info Menu

I also use Groove Juice, but I just purchased Meinl Custom Dark Cymbals and I need advice on how to clean them. They have a blackish finish that I am worried about removing in the cleNing process! PLEASE HELP!!!

User Info Menu

I bought a Sabian cymbal cleaner and it scared me yesterday. There was a hand print right on my new brilliant finish AAX crash so I rubbed a little there with the Sabian cleaner. Turns out the cleaner is very gritty. Washed it off and you can see about a square inch of micro scratches where the fingerprint was.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I use #0000 steel wool, Brasso and Windex.