Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 76

Thread: Cymbal Cleaning, What do you use thread.

  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Default Cymbal Cleaning, What do you use thread.

    I just got done cleaning my cymbals a little bit ago. They were in dire need! I used to be so anal about keeping them clean but haven't been lately. Well today I just could not take it anymore.

    Lot's of finger print tarnish and some green spots from sweat on all my cymbals.

    I've used Groove Juice for over 15 years and it's still my choice for quick easy peasy no elbow grease required cleaning.

    I just sprayed it on and watched it do its job. The cymbals literally almost immediately got from a dull finish to a fresh vibrant finish. To help even out the juice into the grooves I use a blue shop towel moistened with the juice. For the green spots I gave those a little bit more of a rub down.

    Then just spray it off with a water hose, dry, flip over and repeat.

    Bam! They look and sound new again. I love this stuff! The only draw back is it takes off labels too. Which I don't really care about.

    I don't have before and after pics.

    But I was curious as to what all you guys like to use as well?

  2. #2

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Cymbal Cleaning, What do you use thread.



    Basically groove juice soaked cotton (although I really think it's kerosene or something). Rub the cymbal down, rinse with soap and warm water and dry. Easy.

  3. #3

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Cymbal Cleaning, What do you use thread.

    i love shiny cymbals .. and to me they sound much better.... groove juice is the best thing going for keeping your cymbals shiny..
    Tamaholic

  4. #4

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Cymbal Cleaning, What do you use thread.

    I cover mine in peanut butter and let the dogs have them.

  5. #5

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Cymbal Cleaning, What do you use thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    I cover mine in peanut butter and let the dogs have them.
    You're a (pea)nut.
    Signature here

  6. #6

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Cymbal Cleaning, What do you use thread.

    Believe it or not lemon juice.
    The look great and smell fresh!
    I'm sweating just thinking about sweating.

  7. #7

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Cymbal Cleaning, What do you use thread.

    I saw a YouTube video of someone cleaning his cymbals with ketchup. Be careful if you get fries with that cuz it'll leave smudges on your cymbals even after taking the ketchup off.
    Signature here

  8. #8

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Cymbal Cleaning, What do you use thread.

    I'm a Groove Juice guy. I started out doing the full clean every 6 months. Since then, I've become a slacker. I'm down to once a year, or before a gig, if I have the time.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.


    Drum Bum: Gifts for Drummers

    Cool Drummer T-shirts and Drum Accessories!

  9. #9

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Cymbal Cleaning, What do you use thread.

    Shiny cymbals sound better just like new shoes can make you run faster.
    I've never cleaned my cymbals and they sound fine. I've purchased a cymbal once with some mildew looking material on it and cleaned that off. Just my opinion.

  10. #10

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Cymbal Cleaning, What do you use thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by AKC75 View Post
    I just got done cleaning my cymbals a little bit ago. They were in dire need! I used to be so anal about keeping them clean but haven't been lately. Well today I just could not take it anymore.

    Lot's of finger print tarnish and some green spots from sweat on all my cymbals.

    I've used Groove Juice for over 15 years and it's still my choice for quick easy peasy no elbow grease required cleaning.

    I just sprayed it on and watched it do its job. The cymbals literally almost immediately got from a dull finish to a fresh vibrant finish. To help even out the juice into the grooves I use a blue shop towel moistened with the juice. For the green spots I gave those a little bit more of a rub down.

    Then just spray it off with a water hose, dry, flip over and repeat.

    Bam! They look and sound new again. I love this stuff! The only draw back is it takes off labels too. Which I don't really care about.

    I don't have before and after pics.

    But I was curious as to what all you guys like to use as well?
    Agreed, quick and easy.
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH


    Click for Gear Pics!

    DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24


    Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

  11. #11

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Cymbal Cleaning, What do you use thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    Shiny cymbals sound better just like new shoes can make you run faster.
    I've never cleaned my cymbals and they sound fine. I've purchased a cymbal once with some mildew looking material on it and cleaned that off. Just my opinion.
    I was at my buddies house the other day. He had a Zildjian 16" Avedis in natural finish covered in green tarnish, both sides. It sounded like crap. It had no resonance or sustain hardly at all.

    We did a before and after test on the sound after a Groove Juice spa treatment.

    And what do you know? It sounded like a cymbal again!

    When the tonal grooves of a cymbal have corrosion it does affect the sound.

    I have heard of drummers even burying cymbals in the ground to give them a more dry earthy sound.

  12. #12

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Cymbal Cleaning, What do you use thread.

    Different strokes is all. I'm in your camp - I want the bright glassy shimmer, the sustain and sweet voices. I'm not a fan of the dry dead dirty clank.

  13. #13

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Cymbal Cleaning, What do you use thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialAnthony View Post
    Different strokes is all. I'm in your camp - I want the bright glassy shimmer, the sustain and sweet voices. I'm not a fan of the dry dead dirty clank.
    I love that glassy sound cutting shimmer.

    Where can I find that stuff you use and how much is it?

    Groove Juice is more like an all natural acid that eats the tarnish.

  14. #14

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Cymbal Cleaning, What do you use thread.

    i clean mine twice a year maybe, i didn't used to bother but i paid nearly 1000 for my cymbals so i want to make sure there looked after, would you buy a car and never wash it?

    cheers
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

    Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

    I play lead Drums

  15. #15

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Cymbal Cleaning, What do you use thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by AKC75 View Post
    I was at my buddies house the other day. He had a Zildjian 16" Avedis in natural finish covered in green tarnish, both sides. It sounded like crap. It had no resonance or sustain hardly at all.

    We did a before and after test on the sound after a Groove Juice spa treatment.

    And what do you know? It sounded like a cymbal again!

    When the tonal grooves of a cymbal have corrosion it does affect the sound.

    I have heard of drummers even burying cymbals in the ground to give them a more dry earthy sound.
    Of course I respect the fact that if it gets too caked up with any corrosion that it would affect the sound. I have not had that issue. Of course it would depend on conditions, weather...etc. Even the ones they've buried in the ground, they clean off the dirt first.

  16. #16

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Cymbal Cleaning, What do you use thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by AKC75 View Post
    I love that glassy sound cutting shimmer.

    Where can I find that stuff you use and how much is it?

    Groove Juice is more like an all natural acid that eats the tarnish.
    Wallyworld, $5 or so a can. You can pick up the same thing in most music stores/online. It's gone by many names over the years - Buckaroo cymbal cleaner was the last "music" can I bought. But the one I currently have is Eagle One branded wheel/chrome cleaner from the automotive section at walmart. It's all the same...

  17. #17

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Cymbal Cleaning, What do you use thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by markthechuck View Post
    i clean mine twice a year maybe, i didn't used to bother but i paid nearly 1000 for my cymbals so i want to make sure there looked after, would you buy a car and never wash it?

    cheers
    Agreed. I have way too much money invested in my cymbals to not take care of them.

    But from here on out I'll probably clean more often. Every 2 months or so.

  18. #18

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Cymbal Cleaning, What do you use thread.

    i've been meaning to give my cymbals a good cleaning sometime but I really don't want to rub off the labels so i'm gonna have to try lemon juice or just be very careful around the labels.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you octopus?

  19. #19

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Cymbal Cleaning, What do you use thread.

    Barkeepers friend, Brasso, Nev R Dull, what ever is in the cupboard they all work good.

  20. #20

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Cymbal Cleaning, What do you use thread.

    I found it interesting, on a YouTube video a short while ago with Neil Peart's drum tech, that he would polish Neil's cymbals after every gig. This was apparently when Neil was first using Sabian Paragons, which at the time, even for him were only available in natural finish (i.e., not brilliant/shiny). The tech said that typically after 8-9 polishings, the cymbals would start to crack. Clearly the result of the polishing, or so he said. I'm sure no one here would polish theirs to that level, but something to keep in mind. So, if you don't have brilliant finish cymbals, don't try to make them into ones!

    Just my $0.02.
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie

  21. #21

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Cymbal Cleaning, What do you use thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by cabasner View Post
    I found it interesting, on a YouTube video a short while ago with Neil Peart's drum tech, that he would polish Neil's cymbals after every gig. This was apparently when Neil was first using Sabian Paragons, which at the time, even for him were only available in natural finish (i.e., not brilliant/shiny). The tech said that typically after 8-9 polishings, the cymbals would start to crack. Clearly the result of the polishing, or so he said. I'm sure no one here would polish theirs to that level, but something to keep in mind. So, if you don't have brilliant finish cymbals, don't try to make them into ones!

    Just my $0.02.
    Me thinks Neils tech is full of crap. Polishing isnt why they cracked.

  22. #22

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Cymbal Cleaning, What do you use thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by cabasner View Post
    I found it interesting, on a YouTube video a short while ago with Neil Peart's drum tech, that he would polish Neil's cymbals after every gig. This was apparently when Neil was first using Sabian Paragons, which at the time, even for him were only available in natural finish (i.e., not brilliant/shiny). The tech said that typically after 8-9 polishings, the cymbals would start to crack. Clearly the result of the polishing, or so he said. I'm sure no one here would polish theirs to that level, but something to keep in mind. So, if you don't have brilliant finish cymbals, don't try to make them into ones!

    Just my $0.02.
    I call shenanagins on that one too.

  23. #23

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Cymbal Cleaning, What do you use thread.

    Sabian cymbal cleaner! Spray it on, wait 15 to 30 seconds, wipe off and buff. No elbow grease needed. Just cleaned all 6 of mine plus the two sets of hats in about 30 minutes. It will not take off logos if you are worried about them. Also my main ride is an old Zildjian from the '70's and it looks new again.
    1976 Tama Imperialstar Saturn 12+1 Platina6,8,10,12,13,14,15,16 concert toms, 16, 18 floor toms, 2-22x18 Bass drums.
    1971 5x14 Ludwig acrolite snare
    Tama metalworks snare 13x6
    DW collectors Maple Blue Glass7x8, 8x10, 9x12 rack toms, 11x14, 13x16 hanging toms, 18x23 bass, 8 and 12 timbale toms, 5.5x10 Ten and Six All Maple snare, 5.5x14 Supersolid snare, DW 9000 rack system, DW 5002 Double bass pedal, DW 5000 Hi-Hat stand, DW 9000 Snare stand.
    Sabian Xs20 cymbals: 16 & 18 crash, 20 ride, 14 hats, 8 splash, 18 china.
    Zildjian cymbals: 21 ride, 15 hats. All '70's era.

  24. #24

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Cymbal Cleaning, What do you use thread.

    Depends on the manufacturer.
    I use Bosphorus Cymbal Swipes on my Bosphorus cymbals. Works great. I've used it on old A. Zildjians too with good results.
    I only use Paiste Cleaner on my Paistes and I follow the cleaner up with Paiste Protectant.
    Recently I bought 3 new A. Zildjians. I just use soap and water after each gig to clean them. Doesn't fully remove the finger prints but good enough results for me. Or I remove stick marks after the gig with only a towel and elbow grease.

  25. #25

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Cymbal Cleaning, What do you use thread.

    I rarely clean my cymbals, I wipe them off with water and dry them, that is it. But I read this post 2 weeks ago and happened to be fairly drunk and needed to go to the grocery to pick up more beer, so I had a friend pick me up (NEVER DRINK AND DRIVE,EVER) and while grabbing the brew bought 4 lemons and some ketchup. Final results, Ketchup was kind of fun, made a big mess, but did little. The lemons, on the other hand amazed me, you have to do some manual work to get them clean, but they actually did a good job. Who knew?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •