Thread: Anyone know how to fix black oxidation on gold rims and hardware?!

User Info Menu

Default Anyone know how to fix black oxidation on gold rims and hardware?!

I have a really nice DW kit with gold rims. I used to have them in my garage and they got really oxidized cause of the humidity. I've tried all kinds of brass cleaner including "Groove Juice" but to no avail. I really want to get them looking nice again but can't seem to find the right product. BTW I live in SO CAL so if anyone else does do you know of any drum restoration shops in the area? The only one I can think of won't call me back! I don't think the secretary EVER relays the message. Thanks for yalls help. Blessings........

Sorry IF there's already a thread about this....didn't C1. If so please direct it to me.

User Info Menu

Man, that one's going to take the pros weighing in. Good luck with it! And tell the restoration shop they need to get rid of their secretary, because they're losing business.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Middleman, you may laugh but...

Try Dow Bathroom Cleaner. Yes, the scrubbing bubbles. I've used it for years on my cymbals and hardware and it works great. I don't know about the oxidation of which you speak, but it can't hurt to try it. Works much better than Brasso and all the others I've tried, with almost no elbow grease necessary.
    No, I still won't play Wipe Out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Herb Utsmelz View Post
    Middleman, you may laugh but...

Try Dow Bathroom Cleaner. Yes, the scrubbing bubbles. I've used it for years on my cymbals and hardware and it works great. I don't know about the oxidation of which you speak, but it can't hurt to try it. Works much better than Brasso and all the others I've tried, with almost no elbow grease necessary.
    I'll have to try that on my cymbals! Brasso takes a lot of work.
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

User Info Menu

I want something tried and true though. I don't wanna further ruin the rims. I've recently thought of just buying new brass rims. I'd still need to fix a few lugs though. Thanks for your input. Blessings..........

ThePloughman Guest

Default Re: Anyone know how to fix black oxidation on gold rims and hardware?!

How old is it? Call DW.

User Info Menu

If it were me I would try the less harsh Sabian of Zildjian cymbal cleaner and see what that does. I use that stuff on a 100 percent brass hall tree that I have in my entry way as well as my cymbals and it works extremely well on both.

User Info Menu

I failed to mention in my previous post that the brass hall tree has some plating and some solid brass features and the cymbal cleaner works great on both. If you try something an it works, I would love to hear what you did so post the results for us here.

User Info Menu

Ploughman is right, call DW and ask for help!
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Guys, brass plating is reasonably durable, similar in nature to chrome plating. As long as you us care and try on a test spot that is hidden you can try a number of things without damage to the rim or plating. Besides the most you would be out if you did for some reason damage it would be in the neighborhood of $16.00 from explorers music. so what is the harm in experimenting a little.

User Info Menu

I went back and re-read that you have already tried the Groove juice. (sorry I missed it) If you have already tried that then that is stronger than what I recommended. what about some bar keepers friend cleanser. It is non abrasive and is used to clean stainless steel, I have found that it works well on cymbals. some mild rubbing compound for car finishes worked well sometimes. I have used it with some success for polishing some metal surfaces on my boat. Lemon juice or vinegar might work as well. none of the products I have referred to will hurt the plating.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThePloughman View Post
    How old is it? Call DW.
    You know DUH, I never thought about that. I was looking for the forest but the trees got in the way! I only live a little over an hour from Oxnard. Maybe I'll take me a little trip. Thanks everyone for your replys and help. I'll keep yall posted when I fix my kit. Blessings.........

User Info Menu

HOLA como estas MIDDLEMAN CREATIVE ARTISTIC ARTIST DRUMMER (CAT) USE CLEAN KING IT comes in A CONTAINER that looks
    like COMMET & ITS FANTASTIC I have been useing this PRODUCT all My life*
    AND ITS FANTASTIC**GRACIAS **youcan find it AT MOST STORES where you shop for FOOD & SORTS of THINGS **

User Info Menu

I would second on the bar keepers if you are to the point of throwing things out. Works great when I used it on Pans in the kitchen... its a powder so mix with a little water and make a paste out of it. Try it on small area first. Good luck.
    Pditty

User Info Menu

you may shy away from this but believe me as a guy that has worked in a body shop
    it does wonders for chrome
    use double (00)or triple (000) steel wool
    even higher 0 count if you can get it
    be very gentle and it should do the trick
    you descision
    but thats how i would do it
    "I mean honestly... I don't understand how "boom-click-boom-click-boom-click"evades a drummer...." ~ Kryshah

Gretsch Catalina Club Mod
    Sabian cymbals:
    18 in. AAXplosion crash
    21 in. AA raw bell ride
    16 in. Vault crash
    14 in. AAX stage hats
    Paiste:10 in. metal splash
    Zildjian:zil-bel
    DW 7000 double pedals
    PDP hardware
    EMAD!!!