Thread: 6-inch Heads

User Info Menu

Default 6-inch Heads

I'm planning on replacing the head on a 6" drum. This is a Toca Timbale Snare. It's basically a 6" timbale with a set of snares that touch the head from the underside, like an LP Microsnare.
    My question is, what would be the best head for this purpose? It'd need to be cranked up very high, but also pretty thin in order for the snares to work with it. What's the thinnest head that can be tuned very high?

User Info Menu

Default Re: 6-inch Heads

You should be asking the boys down in the Percussion part of this forum. There you will find experienced hand drummers who can help you out.

User Info Menu

This isn't a hand drum though. It's more for drumset players anyways, so I figured more people here would see. It's just a standard 6-inch drumhead.

User Info Menu

Clear Ambassodor. Or a black dot.

User Info Menu

what do you hit something that small with? i'm not too good with finesse
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    what do you hit something that small with? i'm not too good with finesse
    It's on a percussion set-up, basically where a regular snare drum would be on a drum set. Not too easy to miss the way it's mounted, but if it was somewhere else...forget about it.

User Info Menu

I've a couple of little 8x6" micro snares, one came with my Trixon co.cktail set (in orange sparkle) and the other is a black acrylic snare made by a mate of mine who works in one of my local drum shops. I know the little Toca snare you're talking about, as that was one option I was looking at before Nick made me my micro snare.

The two snares mentioned, plus my Tama 12x4"Nickelworks steel snare in the background.

You can see the head choices I went for those two, the Pansini snare is cranked a bit higher (Nick says this was the smallest one he has ever been asked to do, but hey, he knows how crazy I am, lol). However, bear in mind these are double-headed drums, whilst yours is a single head design. Listen, I pop into the store every few days or so, I could ask him or any of the guys there what they recommend, if you like. I'm not a fan of that head that Toca sell with that particular drum (judging from memory when I was shopping around ages ago)......I would go for either a Remo Coated Diplomat or a Remo Fiberskyn 3 Ambassador weight.....they work really well with 6" rototoms, especially if you're going for high tensions and you want a clear cracking sound.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    I've a couple of little 8x6" micro snares, one came with my Trixon co.cktail set (in orange sparkle) and the other is a black acrylic snare made by a mate of mine who works in one of my local drum shops. I know the little Toca snare you're talking about, as that was one option I was looking at before Nick made me my micro snare.

The two snares mentioned, plus my Tama 12x4"Nickelworks steel snare in the background.

You can see the head choices I went for those two, the Pansini snare is cranked a bit higher (Nick says this was the smallest one he has ever been asked to do, but hey, he knows how crazy I am, lol). However, bear in mind these are double-headed drums, whilst yours is a single head design. Listen, I pop into the store every few days or so, I could ask him or any of the guys there what they recommend, if you like. I'm not a fan of that head that Toca sell with that particular drum (judging from memory when I was shopping around ages ago)......I would go for either a Remo Coated Diplomat or a Remo Fiberskyn 3 Ambassador weight.....they work really well with 6" rototoms, especially if you're going for high tensions and you want a clear cracking sound.
    Thank you for all the details! Sure, if you're able to ask them that would be great. The head on the Toca snare is not the best by any means. It can handle high tensions (I literally have this as high as it can be tuned), but I feel that something thinner would get a better snare response. One of the great things about the Toca version of this drum is that, unlike the LP and Meinl ones, the snare is adjustable like on a snare cajon, by just turning a knob. However if the head is too thick I wouldn't imagine it would make too much of a difference. It sounds very much like a marching snare drum, and rimshots are fantastic on it, I just want to see if there's a way to get a head that's more responsive to the snare wires.
    My other question for you, since you've heard both, how does a two-headed snare this size compare to the Toca version as far as sound goes?