Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is this the smallest stage you have ever seen?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Is this the smallest stage you have ever seen?

The only thing I could think of in that situation would use a stand up c***tail set. Saw a clip on you tube of someone playing a drum solo on one of those and it was pretty cool!
    Last edited by drummerMD; 10-13-2014 at 09:58 PM.

User Info Menu

A band I was in back in the 90s had a front man who actually owned and managed all the leased video games, dart boards, shuffle boards and pool tables for all the local bars. It was great that he knew all the bar owners....we got tons of gigs. The bad part was that he would book gigs in all these small bars that didn't have room for a band. Since he owned the pool tables, we would have to move the tables and/or video games before the gig. Then, move them back after the gig. Nothing worse than tearing down & loading band equipment at 1:30AM, then have to move several pool tables (sometimes from outside on the sidewalk or in back of his truck) back into place and level them up again.

In my current band, we usually play all acoustic if the venue is that small. We can all sit around a table if needed, and I just play my Cajon. It also gives it a very intimate and relaxed feel to the gig. Less like a band and more like part of the crowd.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

trimmed seven inches off my 22x18 bass drum for just such an occasion, which i sure could of used this past sunday if not for back line kit i was required to use. funny how everyone thinks its diameter that creates the smallest footprint.
    don't put off till tomorrow what you can put off today

User Info Menu

Pretty close.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    Wow! I hope they paid you well! Jeez. That's rough, Rich.
    Lol!!! Between the three of us, we split $69.00 in tips (not bad since there were only 7 people in the place). That's $23 for playing a few tunes, and watching the SF Giants beat the Cards between sets. Otherwise, I would of been sitting on the couch at home doing the exact same thing less $23.00.

Last edited by late8; 10-16-2014 at 10:30 AM.

User Info Menu

my god I've seen bands play on tiny stages like that and always pray it's not me someday haha

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    my god I've seen bands play on tiny stages like that and always pray it's not me someday haha
    Spaz, you're a young dude with great promise to make it one day but an 'ol geezer like me, I'm lucky if I get a call to come out and play. One good thing I can say about playing "dives"......I feel right at home.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Lol!!! Between the three of us, we split $69.00 in tips (not bad since there were only 7 people in the place). That's $23 for playing a few tunes, and watching the SF Giants beat the Cards between sets. Otherwise, I would of been sitting on the couch at home doing the exact same thing less $23.00.

You had fun at least? LOL.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    You had fun at least? LOL.
    Free beer 'nuff said!

User Info Menu

You do what ya gotta do. Its all in the fun of playing.
    So whats so wrong with laughing. Some need to learn to laugh

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by not him View Post
    You do what ya gotta do.
    So true Larry.....that's the exact words that ran through my head as I started to set the kit up behind the pool table.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    Should have put the drums up on the table!!!!!
    I remember a gig back in the 80's when I played on top of a pool table at a fraternity party. Some of the frat guys rigged up a makeshift platform out of plywood or something and I somehow managed to get my double bass Ludwig Super Classic kit up there. I will say it was shaky and scary though.

Haven't thought about that in ages ... haha
    Last edited by dangermoney; 10-17-2014 at 02:13 PM.