Thread: Mallets: "Girl From Ipanema"....yes, that ol' chestnut, lol.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

Default Mallets: "Girl From Ipanema"....yes, that ol' chestnut, lol.

Well, as I keep practicing and working on bits of piano and keyboard (and keep on solidifying my melodic and harmonic side of music theory), it's starting to pay off in small dividends, at least from my perspective.

About a couple of weeks or so a go, I started jamming with Tom, the ex-keyboardist from one of the bands I'm involved in....we talked a bit about music theory on the phone, and how I can keep working on my melodic chops. So we had a jam arranged at his place, and to my pleasant surprise, he brought in a friend of his, Jason, on drums.....which was just great as Jason's a jazz drummer with such a great feel for Latin....for anything really. Just between the three of us, Tom on a couple of keyboards, myself and Jason, we had such a full sound.

Tom had said to learn a few chord change exercises, such as playing blues (which has been getting easier and easier on vibes for me) and to learn a couple of tunes such as Miles Davis's "So What?" and Tom Jobim/Stan Getz's "Girl From Ipanema"....from there on, I have to try to learn a new "standard" every couple of weeks or so....mind you, it doesn't have to be a jazz standard, anything that we could re-invent, really....with time permitting, as the three of us have students, music projects and other things going. Whether we'll be able to get something going with this, maybe adding other musicians, I'm not sure as yet, but we sure can't wait to jam some more again in a week's time or so!

So, here's some video of me practicing along to "Girl From Ipanema":
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Default Re: Mallets: "Girl From Ipanema"....yes, that ol' chestnut, lol.

Nice! That's one of my favorite standards. I regret that I don't play the vibes as much as I should. I used to be pretty good in my college years, but sadly I have let that lapse.

Keep up the mallet playing!

User Info Menu

Thanks Shane! Hey, what do ya mean "used to be pretty good"? I've seen bits your playing, you got some awesome mallet playing chops! I mean that mate.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    Thanks Shane! Hey, what do ya mean "used to be pretty good"? I've seen bits your playing, you got some awesome mallet playing chops! I mean that mate.
    Thanks - I do well when it's a written part, but my mallet ad-libbing skills suck. I can picture what I want to hear, but don't know my way around the keys well enough to get there.