Thread: Why Bamboo Sticks?

User Info Menu

Default Why Bamboo Sticks?

So I've been seeing a lot of advertisements for these bamboo drum sticks, and besides being much more than a novelty item or a conversation starter, I see no point in getting them but everywhere I go people are trying to talk me into using them. My question is why are these such a big deal all of the sudden? I use my hickory 5B's and I love them I go through about 2 or 3 pairs a year playing pretty much whatever I feel like (Rock, Metal, Country, Jazz, Latin, and of course solo drumming). The only reason I post this question is that they have been recommended to me by several people, but at about $15.00 a pair they seem a little overkill to just try out, so have any of you used these and what is your opinion?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Why Bamboo Sticks?

you only go throughy 2 or 3 pair a year playing rock and metal? are you sure your sticks arent oak?

User Info Menu

The only sticks that I've seen made out of Bamboo are hot rod sticks. A bunch of small diameter bamboo rods all joined together usually with a foam center. Which are mostly used to contain loudness. Is this what your referring to? Are the people that are trying to get you to use them your parents or neighbors? Welcome to Drum Chat.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

I think he's referring to Boso drumsticks.
    6 Piece Pearl Masters Custom Extra Maple
    14x5.5 Snare
    10x8 Tom
    12x9 Tom
    14x12 Floor Tom
    15x13 Floor Tom
    22x16 Bass Drum

Miscellaneous Hardware
    14 inch Zildjian Quick Beats
    16 inch Istanbul Xist Crash
    20 inch Meinl HCS ride.

User Info Menu

No, they're made by a company called Boso drumsticks they are oval tipped that's all the information I can find, they're being recommended to me by some drummers in my area but these guys are new drummers who honestly are not informed well enough to tell a inverted para-diddle from a reverse para-diddle I'm asking because I'm intrigued by the material, and CC I actually used to use oak sticks but I kept breaking them and I don't have the money to keep buying sticks so I taught myself some technique's to maintain my sound and improve the lifetime of my equipment and that has saved me sticks, cymbals, drum-heads, and most importantly money.

User Info Menu

I would be curious how Bamboo's density compares to Hickory.

I use Oak most of the time but Hickory is old reliable as far as I know.

Also, Bamboo is very easy to grow, very much a renewable resource so how is it comparing to Hickory on an environmental level?
    -Steven

User Info Menu

On the janka wood hardness scale, bamboo is harder than oak but softer than hickory.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by imnotverygood9 View Post
    I think he's referring to Boso drumsticks.
    Thanks for the info. They look interesting but painfully expensive. Bamboo is a very strong wood and grows fast. I'll wait till the prices come down. My Pro Mark 747 Japanese Oak nylon tipped sticks lasts about 2 1/2 months for $9.00. That's a pretty good value.
    Last edited by wolvie56; 11-02-2013 at 11:33 PM.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

They're not going to be any better than existing sticks on the market. It's just marketing hype. Something new in the industry so it will raise an eyebrow or two.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    They're not going to be any better than existing sticks on the market. It's just marketing hype. Something new in the industry so it will raise an eyebrow or two.
    Exactly what I thought.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

I have been curious about Boso sticks since I first heard about them a couple of months ago. I currently use Regal 5B Maple mainly for the finish, weight and durability. The Boso seems entreating because it sounds like they would have some of the same characteristics but are made of a more sustainable material (Save The Planet). I can't find any locally and, as expensive as they are, I wouldn't like to pay $15 plus freight just to try them which I would love to do. If they were good I would buy them by the brick.

User Info Menu

Nothing beats hickory....Nooooooooo-thing!!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Bought a pair of sticks made out of recycled materials one time. They broke the first time I played them. Snapped right in half... in the middle of the stick! LOL

User Info Menu

I will stick with Oak.

get it?