Thread: Calling on Evans Head Users

BackStreetDrums Guest

Default Calling on Evans Head Users

I have a Sonor Maple kit, 17x20 kick.

My genre is Blues/soft jazz/Big Band.

What is the perfect Evans Bass Beater head to use? (now have a remo which came with the set)

I have no problem with my toms/snare (Evans G2/Black resno G1).
    Perhaps the Bass heads are a bit costly to do a trial and error play which is why I don't want to take the plunge. I was thinking Hydraulic heads

So, if you are an Evans guy, or not, what is a recommended batter bass head I could try?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Calling on Evans Head Users

I would go with a clear EMAD single ply....Unless you kick the snot out of it, then go with the 2ply. You'll get a nice resonant tone from it and still have some "thump". Aquarian Super Kick would also be good. I've even heard a clear Remo Pinstripe sound good on the bass.

For the music you play, I would gravitate toward some resonance and not the dry "thud". I would stay away from Hydraulic heads.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I used g2's for toms. I have an aquarian on my bass though.
    Mapex Saturn 6 pc
    14x6 mapex stainless steel snare
    Zildjian,Paiste, Meinl
    DW5000 td4 double pedal

User Info Menu

Evans Emad 2. You get an extra muffling ring with it if you need it, and it's a great sound for all genres. Highly recommend it.
    Happy Drumming!

IS15

BackStreetDrums Guest

Thanks All!

Good considerations.

User Info Menu

one of the Evans EQ heads, I find there is all thud and no boom with to much muffling.

or else a Powerstroke 3
    -Steven

User Info Menu

One more vote for the Evans EMAD -- although I much prefer the EMAD Coated -.
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

I'm not sure the EMAD is what you're looking for in a jazz/big band setting. I'd look more toward the EQ series as Zeta said.

User Info Menu

Honestly, 90% of it will be how you tune the drum.....particularly the front reso head. One of the best sounding bass drums Ive ever heard was a cheap Sound Percussion 22" with a clear Pinstripe on the batter and a coated reso with no port hole.
    Last edited by N2Bluz; 11-11-2013 at 08:07 PM.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I always used the Remo PS3 and had no reason to change it. I have read that the EMAD is becoming the most used head amongst drummers. Maybe someday I will try one.

User Info Menu

For your type of sound Emad 1 or 2 will fit the bill

User Info Menu

I just bought the emad from Evans and it sounds great
    Kreg
    First concert the Beatles 1966
    Love to rock and roll with my set of Rogers

BackStreetDrums Guest

Evans Emad has my vote, and since I like Evans over the others, it makes sense to 'keep it in the family'

Thanks again for all input.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BackStreetDrums View Post
    Evans Emad has my vote, and since I like Evans over the others, it makes sense to 'keep it in the family'

Thanks again for all input.

Emad on bass, and coated g1 on toms.

User Info Menu

EMAD is great. I'm using the GMAD now and like it even more!
    DW drums and Paiste cymbals.

User Info Menu

I'm not experienced enough to recommend a head for a specific genre, but I have the Evans clear EMAD 2 batter head and I think it's great! It improved the sound of my kick from the OEM Remo head that came with it. This is on a 20x18 DW Collector's kick.

By the way, my toms have clear G2 and G1 heads, batter and reso.
    Last edited by cabasner; 11-14-2013 at 08:03 AM.
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_in name only View Post
    EMAD is great. I'm using the GMAD now and like it even more!
    I use the GMAD as well. GREAT head.

User Info Menu

I recently bought the Evans emad. And really like it
    Kreg
    First concert the Beatles 1966
    Love to rock and roll with my set of Rogers

User Info Menu

EMAD user here. It's awesome.

User Info Menu

For a jazz sound I would use one of the following on the bass- Emad Clear will give you some decent attack and durability but will lack a little in sustain and tone. If you want a little more tone and sustain and slightly less attack and durability then a G2 coated or clear will be nice.

For toms- a G1 coated or clear will give you plenty of sustain and tone but not as much attack and durability and a G2 coated or clear will give you a nice balance of tone, sustain, attack, and durability.

This is just my opinion. I switched from Remo and Aquarian to Evans a few years ago and I have yet to find a head that performs and sounds better.

My drum shop allows and encourages drummers to bring in drums and cymbals for comparison. Would you be able to spend a couple hours, maybe, in the shop comparing heads? I agree that buying two or three bass heads may be a little impractical and most shops also know this.
    Last edited by drumsetsnide; 12-01-2013 at 06:14 AM.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG