Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about a new Ludwig Black Beauty

User Info Menu

Default Thinking about a new Ludwig Black Beauty

I'm pondering a new 6.5x14 Black Beauty snare. My main snare at the moment is a really cheap PDP Blackout, which is fine for what it is, but it would be cool to have a genuine classic to go along with my DW Sabian Vault Edge Limited Edition, which I'm trying to minimize the use of (I want to keep it pretty close to pristine). What do you guys think about the Black Beauty?
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

Default Re: Thinking about a new Ludwig Black Beauty

Put in a search in this forum for Black Beauty and you'll find it's a BIIIG favorite!
    And costs as much as a decent drum kit...sheeesh! You really must have G.A.S.!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Well, this snare would be part of a five piece DW Collectors kit 😊
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

BB makes a good all around snare with any kit. Go for it cause I know if I saw one decently priced I would buy it in a minute.

User Info Menu

A Beauty would make a solid addition to any kit. RC

User Info Menu

A guy let this 1 go for $325 (plus shipping) a few years ago.

I lived on BB's and Supras. All the BB's were the Super Sensitive models.

You can do anything on them.

Don't know why the picture came out sideways.

User Info Menu

Guys,

Does anyone know what the difference between an LB419 and LB417 model is? The particular shop I'm looking at has an LB419 (the one I'm thinking of getting), but when I look at the Ludwig site, the only 6.5x14 Black Beauty they have listed is an LB417. I've searched on the Internet for the difference between these 2 model numbers, but couldn't find anything. Do any of you know?

User Info Menu

I'm thinking the LB419 is the 6.5 X 14" Super Sensitive model but not 100% certain. If it's got a "t" after it, it's with tube lugs.
    eBay searches of LB419 came up with only the super senstive models which are approx. $200-$300 more than the LB417.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 11-15-2013 at 09:00 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cabasner View Post
    What do you guys think about the Black Beauty?
    I prefer maple shells and I own one new and two high-quality vintage maple snare drums.
    But if I ever buy a new metal snare, the Black Beauty is my only choice.
    And it would also be the 6.5..........Go for it !
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I'm pondering a new 6.5x14 Black Beauty snare. My main snare at the moment is a really cheap PDP Blackout, which is fine for what it is, but it would be cool to have a genuine classic to go along with my DW Sabian Vault Edge Limited Edition, which I'm trying to minimize the use of (I want to keep it pretty close to pristine). What do you guys think about the Black Beauty?
    I can't say enough about this snare. I had it up next to my Gretsch USA Custom 6.5 x14" snare and in my opinion, the BB blew the Gretsch maple snare away.

The brass/nickle has warmth to it which most who have never played it will discover (like I did). I never cared about brass or steel snare drums until I heard the BB in person. My local drum shop had the 6.5x14" BB sitting next to the major brands such as DW, Yamaha, Tama etc and I had plenty of choices to compare the BB and Ludwig got it right.

If you can find a used one that was made in Chicago prior to the 1981 sellout to the Selmer Company, even the better (worth more now) but the current issue made in Monroe N. Carolina will not dissappoint you.

Here's mine:

Last edited by late8; 11-18-2013 at 03:51 PM.

User Info Menu

nothing to think about. Best snare money can buy. just go get it
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

Absolutely, the best snare I've ever owned..........................man, for a beginning drummer, you have some great gear..................the BB will only add to that

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    Absolutely, the best snare I've ever owned
    Argueably, "The most recorded snare drum in modern rock music", the Ludwig SupraPhonic. I looked up the players from the past and present and here's just a short list:

Lionel Hampton
    Hal Blaine
    Joe Morello (Dave Brubeck Quartet)
    John Bonham
    Alex Van Halen
    Ian Paice (Deep Purple)
    Ginger Baker (Cream)
    Dino Danelli (Young Rascals)
    John Densmore (Doors)
    Mitch Mitchell (Hendrix )
    Mick Avory (The Kinks)
    Carl Palmer (ELP)
    Steve Gadd (‘60s-‘70s)
    Charlie Watts (pre Gretsch years)
    Bobby Elliot- The Hollies (switched to Ludwig from Premier)

User Info Menu

You say LUDWIG BLACK BEAUTY
    OR SUPRAPHONIC = DROOL

EVERY DRUMMER HERE SEZ:
    WAIT WHILE I GRAB A BIB!!!!
    Last edited by PHROGGE; 11-19-2013 at 03:55 PM.
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Getting 'this' close to pulling the trigger on the BB. I've been offered a great deal...an "A" stock 6.5x14 BB for $600, with the trade of my PDP Blackout 5x14 maple snare. Between my DW Sabian Vault Edge Limited snare and the BB, I'd have no need for the PDP any more...that was just my 'beginner, practice' snare, though with the Evans heads I put on it, it sounds pretty good TO ME!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phrogge View Post
    you say ludwig black beauty
    or supraphonic = drool

every drummer here sez:
    Wait while i grab a bib!!!!
    +1
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro

User Info Menu

After getting permission from big boss...new Black Beauty on the way

User Info Menu

After getting permission from big boss...new Black Beauty on the way
    Congrats.......................when it gets in.................we demand pics!

You're going to love it.

User Info Menu

Fantastic!! Can't wait to see pictures.
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro

User Info Menu

will do!!

User Info Menu

Congrats!
    I just realized I can join the club, just have to sell a drum kit to get the $$$ for a BB! Sheesh!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    Congrats!
    I just realized I can join the club, just have to sell a drum kit to get the $$$ for a BB! Sheesh!
    LOL Oh come on, they're not THAT expensive!! Well, I guess everything is relative... I'm getting mine for $600 including a trade for my PDP snare...

User Info Menu

congrats ... its a great drum , one that you can play for the rest of your life.. great choice.
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Thanks for the kind words! I told my teacher that a BB is on the way...he always laughs when I tell him about the equipment that I am fortunate enough to get...I think he's shaking his head about the pretty cool stuff I've got!

I think all of the equipment that I have now is stuff I can hold onto for the rest of my life. DW Drums and all DW 9000 hardware (rack, remote high hat, snare stand), Pearl Demon Eliminator direct drive double bass pedal, a DW limited edition snare, Zildjian cymbals, and now a Ludwig Black Beauty. If I ever get good enough, maybe one day I'll order a killer exotic wood DW kit, probably the same sizes for all the drums I have except for, maybe, a 20x22 kick (instead of the 18x20 I have now). Not that I'm not thrilled with my Broken Glass Finish Ply kit, though that would not have been my first choice; but I simply couldn't pass up the deal I got on it!

User Info Menu

Thanks for the kind words! I told my teacher that a BB is on the way...he always laughs when I tell him about the equipment that I am fortunate enough to get...I think he's shaking his head about the pretty cool stuff I've got!

I think all of the equipment that I have now is stuff I can hold onto for the rest of my life. DW Drums and all DW 9000 hardware (rack, remote high hat, snare stand), Pearl Demon Eliminator direct drive double bass pedal, a DW limited edition snare, Zildjian cymbals, and now a Ludwig Black Beauty. If I ever get good enough, maybe one day I'll order a killer exotic wood DW kit, probably the same sizes for all the drums I have except for, maybe, a 20x22 kick (instead of the 18x20 I have now). Not that I'm not thrilled with my Broken Glass Finish Ply kit, though that would not have been my first choice; but I simply couldn't pass up the deal I got on it!
    Congrats on the BB... I have kind of been looking at those myself every once in a while. Looking forward to your feedback after you get it.

Regarding all your new gear... you have been getting some really awesome stuff... congrats! I am not one of those guys that think you don't deserve the high quality gear just because you haven't been playing too long. I started drums later in life. While I don't consider myself a newbie, I am definitely not in the crowd of the many seasoned veterans we are fortunate to have on this site. I busted my arse to put myself through engineering school and to be in a position to afford nicer gear than many who have played way longer than me. Did I pay my dues? I think so, they were just different dues

I think the only risk you may have is that as your playing and ears mature (as a drummer) your tastes and needs may change. And after acquiring all that gear, you may wish you had got something else. Not saying it will happen, just a possibility. But GAS must go on!

So, don't worry about it if someone gives you a hard time about getting nice gear...if you are in a position to do so, do it.
    Gretsch Renown RN1 ~ Silver Oyster Pearl