Thread: Good deal??

User Info Menu

Default Good deal??

Just saw a local ad online listing a 5 piece Ludwig Epic for $150.00- shells only.

I'm not a "modern" Ludwig player/user. I only have a few vintage pieces so I really don't look at their sets but after seeing this and doing s little looking around, I see that new Epic 4 and 5 piece kits are selling for $799 to $899 +/-. What do you guys think? Same guy is also selling an Accent- 4 piece for the same price, $150.00.
    Last edited by drumsetsnide; 11-24-2013 at 05:50 PM.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

Default Re: Good deal??

Well, there's a 5 PC Epic shell pack on my local CL for $650.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Well, there's a 5 PC Epic shell pack on my local CL for $650.
    I'm thinking that's my answer.
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro

User Info Menu

I wouldn't waste any time calling on it. Stuff like that is usually gone within hours of posting.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Epics are their midrange kits I believe, that sounds good to me.

Always call when you see a good deal that you can get, sometimes people assume its gone and miss it.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    Epics are their midrange kits I believe, that sounds good to me.

Always call when you see a good deal that you can get, sometimes people assume its gone and miss it.
    Exactly this ^ and as an Epic owner myself I can certainly vouch for their sound.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Epics are actually really good & punchy shells.

At that price I'd jump on it.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Why can't we ever see deals like that in Canada lol. Jump on it man.

User Info Menu

I'd buy them both.

User Info Menu

I am most likely getting both and i am getting a 1920's Wurlitzer in the next couple weeks to go with the Wurlitzer snare I acquired last year. GAS!!!!
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro

User Info Menu

Yeah Epic's are nice drums, I think they are combo birch and maple.. Almost bought a nice set a few years back
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumsetsnide View Post
    I am most likely getting both and i am getting a 1920's Wurlitzer in the next couple weeks to go with the Wurlitzer snare I acquired last year. GAS!!!!
    It sounds like you nedd some Rollaids. Bad but I just couldn't resist8^)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by markdrum View Post
    It sounds like you nedd some Rollaids. Bad but I just couldn't resist8^)
    I need more than Rolaids!! Haha. Just picked up some condensers and tom mics yesterday…
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumsetsnide View Post
    Woooo....a Wurlitzer? They were made by Leedy I remember reading somewhere. Nice! And rememberrrrr.....pics or it didn't happen!
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Wurlitzer was their own entity. More famous for juke boxes and organs (pipe and home). Leedy made drums for Wurlitzer in the 1920's and 30's and Wurlitzer stamped their name on the shells. Wurlitzer then stopped marketing drums and strictly made juke boxes and pipe organs. The company was purchased in the 1940's or 50's by Gibson and they remain the owners.

I will post pics of the snare I have. It's a 1922 COB. I bought it looking very old and tired and clean it up and put new heads on it.
    Before

After
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro

User Info Menu

WOW!!!!

Great job with Photoshop!!

Or...was it changing the table top that caused the effect?

J/K!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Nice job doesn't look lke the same snare. What did you use to get all the pitting off the hoops.

User Info Menu

I saw and tapped some Epic's that were a maple/walnut hybrid. They sounded really nice without mentioning the amazing price.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

Wow that restored snare looks nice.

User Info Menu

nice job on the snare vast improvement There's a leedy snare on e bay now not sure if auction is over yet or not. seen it yesterday morning

User Info Menu

Wonderful job on the snare! And I wish deals like that came up in my area! I'd jump at the chance and think about the money later!!
    Mapex Drums | Zildjian and Meinl Cymbals | Evans Drumheads | Pro Mark Drum Sticks

User Info Menu

Thank you all who commented. There were a few steps in cleaning this. As far as the pitting on the hoops- it's actually rust in a few places. Leedy/Wurlitzer used steel hardware and steel "chopper" hoops on the snares I have. So only the shells are brass or chrome over brass (the ones I have anyway).

I use a soaking solution for all steel parts/hardware to literally soak the rust off. There is a chemical reaction of some kind (I'm not a chemist) that removes the rust. If the rust is heavy enough I will use a tooth brush to lightly remove the excess oxidation. Length of soaking depends on the amount of rust. The container says it will not work on every metal or the oxidation that every metal produces. I will post pics of a tension rod I cleaned with this method.

For the hoops (as with the shells) I use Flitz metal polish and protector and a lot of elbow grease. I might use a cloth wheel/buffing wheel/polishing wheel (however you want to call it) on a drill at a low speed if needed.

I do as much cleaning with a cloth, wheel, and the soak. If It doesn't come clean then I MIGHT use a very soft/fine wire wheel on "medium" speed (however you define medium- RPM's) as a last resort and never on the shell. If that doesn't work then I leave it alone.

All shells will clean up to a certain extent. Let's be real. Most metal drums that have been played are going to have oxidation, dings, dents, scratches, and minor imperfections. That adds to the character of the drum. Imagine the stories they could tell! Plus, if I wanted a mint drum I would look for a show piece or new old stock. But where can an average guy find one? In addition, after they have had a facelift I like to try them out and play them on occasion.
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro

User Info Menu

what a difference. I'm going to have to look for this stuff .It looks almost brand new