Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: forgetting gear

User Info Menu

Default forgetting gear

I know there's first times for everything but I have never forgotten to pack something as important as "MY CYMBAL BAG"! got to the club last night and was just taking it all in then it hits, I don't remember seeing my cymbal bag ????.... because it's in the BAND ROOM! 40min away!. So there were two options. Go all the way back and get my cymbals which personally I was in favor for or go 10min and use the guitarist's cymbals as he has a set. So we went with plan B because of the time and traffic factor then had to make a GC stop because my STICK BAG! is in my CYMBAL BAG!.

Well turns out they are all ZBT's and small ZBT's! belive me I was thankful for being able to use them but going from 14"hats to 13"hats, 18" crashes to a 15 and 16" crash and from a 21"heavy ride to a 20"light ride I was a little leary about how this was going to turn out.

It was so painfully obvious to my ears that i almost just played he whole set with my eyes closed hoping nobody would notice these little funny cymbals that i was pounding on hoping to squeeze more volume out of which we all know is scientifically impossible, but did it anyway. We were getting pretty good crowd response during the set and afterwards at the bar people were talking so I guess it wasn't as bad as i thought it was. Anyway just thought I'd share this story as it was definatley a new drumming adventure for me.
    Last edited by slinky; 12-01-2013 at 12:41 PM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Default Re: forgetting gear

I showed up to a gig one time with no hardware case and the gig was 5 hours away from home. It was on a holiday weekend and no music stores were open. Management, bartenders, waitresses, etc. were calling anyone and everyone they knew that might have a drumset but most people were gone for the weekend. They finally found someone with some gear but by the time we drove to the guy's house, came back, and pieced it together, we were about 2 1/2 hours late to start. The club owners weren't too happy about that. And it was a huge club with a large crowd of people waiting for us. Luckily, it was a club that had a late crowd so it still turned out to be a good night. Surprisingly, the band leader never docked my pay but I felt bad about that for months.

I'm now paranoid before leaving for every gig. I check the car like 5 times to see if I have everything and when I show up to the gig and something isn't in plain site, I start panicking. Usually I have it but that one experience put the fear of God in me.

User Info Menu

Due to loading my gear the same way every time (other than taking different shell packs) I'd notice if something wasn't there because there would be a void and an incomplete pack job and hopefully it's noticeable before leaving the garage.

I do recall many years ago not having a throne and that can be a detriment to a good night but not a show stopper. Someone usually has an extra chair sitting around.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I count how many things I have in the car. If the count is not what it usually is then I know that I'm missing something.

User Info Menu

I've unfortunately done the same thing... The gig was over an hour away so going back to get get cymbals for a 20 minute set wasn't very worth it.

Luckily the drummer of the band after us was very kind and let me borrow his cymbals. They were great quality, but going from 14" hats, 20" crash and a 22" ride (that I used as a crash) to 13" hats, 18" crash, and 20" ride that was SUPER heavy (not gonna crash if you tried) was quite a bummer for my playing style. We made it work and the set was fine, but it is (hopefully) just a lesson that we have to learn once.
    Kits:
    -C&C Player Date 13/16/22
    -65' Ludwig Super Classic 13/16/22

Snares:
    -DW Nickel Over Brass 6.5x14 snare
    -Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 65' Super Classic 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 64' Pioneer 5x14 snare
    -PDP Classic Wood hoop 6x14 snare

Rides:
    -Zildjian 22" Constantinople
    -Zildjian 22" Kerope
    -Zildjian 20" Constantinople
    Hats:
    -17" A Medium crash over K custom dark crash

-DW 9000 pedals

User Info Menu

The only story I have was on a Sunday when I was playing in church. I had a work meeting before then, which was a bit inconvenient, and planned to get picked up and dropped off at church before the service started. It must have upset my Sunday routine or something because I forgot my sticks. Because we were holding church in a restraunt function room, someone managed to find a couple plastic forks which I used for the first song and a half while someone very graciously shot back to my house and grabbed them for me. Needless to say, the plastic forks were not very loud at all haha
    Pdp LXE | Pearl ELX Export

'Give me your fingernails, oh look, the moon' - Todd Sucherman.

User Info Menu

I really hope I don't have repercussions from this but, no I haven't had the experience of forgetting to bring something to a gig but two experiences do stand out.
    I got to a gig for sound check after setting up and playing the evening before so everything was there except my in-ears- I had forgot they were still hanging around my neck. The next day, half asleep, I panicked because I didn't see them anywhere… back stage, dressing room, shower, around the kit somewhere. I finally ran up to the car and they had fallen between the seats. But boy was my heart pumping!!
    And just recently I went to rehearsal but forgot my stick bag. Thinking I had an extra pair next to the set I didn't bother to turn around. Well, I ended up using butter knives (lightly) as I didn't want to waste more time looking for something. A half hour later my wife shows up and saves the evening!
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

Happened once to me re: cymbals (I have forgotten stuff all the time including pedal, sticks, music, etc.). I live an hour away in traffic and it was 30 min till the gig. Fortunately there was a music store 6 blocks away that was still open and they let me borrow a full set of cymbals which I got to return to an affiliated store in my home town. Saved my neck.

User Info Menu

Never

User Info Menu

Oh man, don't remind me. just did it today when I went to give lessons at a student's place. I take a basic kit (the RIMS Purecussion fold-up set, a cymbal case and a snare case) a small amp with headphones to plug in a laptop, MP3 player or CD player, and more importantly, my bag full of drum books, manuscript paper, stationery etc. Well guess what I left behind?

Not the kit.
    Not amp, headphones etc
    Not even my sticks.

Had everything but that damn bag of mine! Fortunately the kid had his drum chart and exercises from last week handy on him. Whew!
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

I had a gig yesterday and most of the way there i wondered if I'd packed the bass pedal. I ran through the options and Sam Ash and GC were pretty far away, but then I drove past a tiny guitar shop that had a drum kit in the window. I stopped and checked my case for my pedal (had it) but I was prepared to borrow, rent or buy the cheapest pedal they had.

I forgot my stick bag once but a trombone player also played drums and he had some I could borrow.
    Life's too short to play the same solo twice. Improvise!

User Info Menu

Been there. Forgot hi hats once. Not sure how. Another drummer let me use his.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySticks View Post
    I forgot my stick bag once but a trombone player also played drums and he had some I could borrow.
    I always have a drum key and extra pair of sticks in my vehicle regardless of gigging or not. One never knows when one could be called upon to sit in or guest appear and I hate using anyone else's gear if I don't have to.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Due to loading my gear the same way every time, I'd notice if something wasn't there because there would be a void.
    What he said.
    I haven't forgotten anything (yet) !
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I have been misinformed before which has put me in some uncomfortable situations. Played a gig where we were told that and SJC kit with cymbal stands/ hi hat stand would be provided. Told just to bring pedals, snare and cymbals.
    Got to the gig and the SHELL PACK of SJC drums was there...... Had everyone including my lady running around to find me at least a snare stand and hi hat stand... Ended up with a clutch-less hi hat stand, straight cymbal stand, snare stand and a crappy chair.

A few weeks ago my new band was asked to come in and help a buddy out with a recording session for a sound class at the university. Full kit and stands were in the room when he called me, I got there an hour later with Snare, Pedal and Cymbals, started setting up and the Pep band came and started taking the full kit while I was unpacking! Haha, it was pretty funny. Everyone was going around hunting down as many pieces for a kit as possible. I could have gone home ad loaded a kit and stands to come back but time was short and I went with what we could find. Here's what I recorded with:
    Pearl Forum kick (found a brand new EMAD coated for it!), 10" Tama Swingstar tom (one head so beat up I took it off and used the reso side) and a 16" Pearl Forum floor. Also, I had no clutch this time too!

I think these experiences are a great tool for creating your emergency bag.
    My list is becoming this:
    HH Tambourine
    Clutch
    Snare stand
    hh stand
    boom stand
    tape
    key
    felts
    sleeves
    a few tension rods

Also a few tips for my buddies here:

1. Get a Brita water bottle! They are small and will fit in your bag and allow you to have decent water anywhere you play

2. Invest in a decent external battery for charging your phone. If you can't find an outlet your phone is useless so just bring a charge with you. They can fit in your pocket and keep you from being out of contact.

3. Just buy one of those 10 for $10 Vic Firth 2nds. If you break a pair of sticks and only have a backup pair wouldn't you rather have some hickory sticks just in case than nothing? Its unlikely but at least you won't be caught with your pants down. I can't afford more than 2 pairs of my regular sticks at a time ($9 a pair!?) so I always am safe at a show knowing I wont burn through 10 pair of sticks at a show.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    I have been misinformed before which has put me in some uncomfortable situations. Played a gig where we were told that and SJC kit with cymbal stands/ hi hat stand would be provided. Told just to bring pedals, snare and cymbals.
    Got to the gig and the SHELL PACK of SJC drums was there...... Had everyone including my lady running around to find me at least a snare stand and hi hat stand... Ended up with a clutch-less hi hat stand, straight cymbal stand, snare stand and a crappy chair.

A few weeks ago my new band was asked to come in and help a buddy out with a recording session for a sound class at the university. Full kit and stands were in the room when he called me, I got there an hour later with Snare, Pedal and Cymbals, started setting up and the Pep band came and started taking the full kit while I was unpacking! Haha, it was pretty funny. Everyone was going around hunting down as many pieces for a kit as possible. I could have gone home ad loaded a kit and stands to come back but time was short and I went with what we could find. Here's what I recorded with:
    Pearl Forum kick (found a brand new EMAD coated for it!), 10" Tama Swingstar tom (one head so beat up I took it off and used the reso side) and a 16" Pearl Forum floor. Also, I had no clutch this time too!

HH Tambourine
    Clutch
    Snare stand
    hh stand
    boom stand
    tape
    key
    felts
    sleeves
    a few tension rods

Also a few tips for my buddies here:

1. Get a Brita water bottle! They are small and will fit in your bag and allow you to have decent water anywhere you play

2. Invest in a decent external battery for charging your phone. If you can't find an outlet your phone is useless so just bring a charge with you. They can fit in your pocket and keep you from being out of contact.

3. Just buy one of those 10 for $10 Vic Firth 2nds. If you break a pair of sticks and only have a backup pair wouldn't you rather have some hickory sticks just in case than nothing? Its unlikely but at least you won't be caught with your pants down. I can't afford more than 2 pairs of my regular sticks at a time ($9 a pair!?) so I always am safe at a show knowing I wont burn through 10 pair of sticks at a show.
    Reminds me of "backline" horror stories. I've been there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    What he said.
    I haven't forgotten anything (yet) !
    I haven't forgotten anything 'yet' either...sort of...

A couple of weeks ago I was in a rush to get home from work and get packed up for an early evening gig. I was in route and got a call that it was canceled due to weather (outdoor gig, cold front well in progress). When I got home and started unpacking, I realized that I had forgotten my snare Don't know what I would have done.
    Gretsch Renown RN1 ~ Silver Oyster Pearl

User Info Menu

It's been 20 years since I forgot something critical to a gig (hihat stand). I keep an old pedal, a couple pairs of sticks, and a set of snare heads in my car at all times and they have each saved me.

I'm embarrassed to admit that recently I left my cymbal bag at a bar after a gig, and not even inside. It was leaning against my car and I remember thinking "don't drive away without that," which I promptly did. The next day while unloading I realized what happened and freaked completely out. It turns out that a homeless lady that had been staying in her van in the bar parking lot saw it and grabbed it. She had been there watching the band, liked us, and realized what happened. I drove a half hour back, picked it up, gave her 20 bucks, received an uncomfortably long hug, then proceeded to breathe normally.

User Info Menu

One band I was in before I played drums. On the way to a show the trailer door came open and the drummer's cymbal bag flew out on the freeway and got ran over. Lucky our lead guitar player was the manager of guitar center so we were able to get a new set.
    Mapex Saturn 6 pc
    14x6 mapex stainless steel snare
    Zildjian,Paiste, Meinl
    DW5000 td4 double pedal

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Due to loading my gear the same way every time (other than taking different shell packs) I'd notice if something wasn't there because there would be a void and an incomplete pack job and hopefully it's noticeable before leaving the garage.
    I have to load the same way because its the only way to fit all of it in my car safely. My band mates even know to bring out my equipment in a particular order when packing up from a gig!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    HH Tambourine
    Clutch
    Snare stand
    hh stand
    boom stand
    tape
    key
    felts
    sleeves
    a few tension rods
    Agreed!

My emergency kit that always travels with me:

User Info Menu

I'm looking at all these post and I think I have forgotten one of everything in them at one time or another. I try very hard to be consciousness about arriving with my gear but if I get out of my routine then something is bound to go awry.

User Info Menu

I forgot my cymbals one time. Luckily we were playing a show with some buddies and their drummer let me use all of his cymbals. They were all much nicer than mine, so it actually worked out pretty well, haha. I also just forgot my bass drum pedal at my band's last show, but was able to use another band's.

User Info Menu

I dont have the luxury of keeping extra stuff in my car at all times. I drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee, which has shockingly little cargo space. I can barely get my drums in there, forget extra stuff.

Plus, I use the Jeep to haul stuff fairly often. Not enough space to keep drum stuff in there permanently.

User Info Menu

Always keep a wife at home. Forget something, simply have her bring it over. Saves time!

all the best...

User Info Menu

reoccurring nightmare from which I wake up sweating, you know, like standing in front of a crowd giving a speech in the buff.
    Last edited by inthpktplayer; 12-03-2013 at 06:13 PM.