Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Teacher

User Info Menu

Default No Teacher

So, here's my biggest problem, I think. Though I wanted to drum since I was a wee lad, I didn't actually do anything about it until I was a junior in high school, when I joined the marching band and was stuck with the little bitty 12 inch marching cymbals..... I can read music... but mostly because I took a piano class in high school, and I learned a bit o'violin when I was that very same wee lad. I have never had a formal drum lesson, and couldn't afford one if I wanted to (kinda lucked into my monster set) WHAT DO I DO?? I want to drum, I love to bang around, but frankly I suck. I can't play crazy fills, and I don't really know many rudiments... I'm good at keeping time, and can keep the backbeat really well... I just really screw up when I try fills.

User Info Menu

Those last two details about your talent are the only two you need in my opinion, and they'll get you just where you want. I haven't had any lessons and have been playing since last October. I still don't know any rudiments, but I can do crazy fills by ear, keep time, and breakbeat. It's a matter of your will to succeed with this instrument, if you have a strong will then it's natural and you'll be fine.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Whew! That makes me feel better, 32HB! I feel the same as you, Kryshah. I can keep time, I can do some fills, and I'm keeping a pretty good beat on the kick. It's all still so basic, though, and I want so much to improve.

The truth is, though, that I have church work to do, so I have to fit practice time around my other duties, and sometimes I practice a little less than I should, so the rudiment work gets shortened. I am working under a teacher who tells me that I am doing very well, so at least I have that feedback, and maybe that is what you are lacking, Kryshah.

I think 32HB is right. Keep putting in the time, and let it come to you. I'm sure we'll both get there, but when you want to be Neil Peart quality, yesterday, it just seems to be taking too long. I'll encourage you, and you can do the same for me. That's what this place is about!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I guess that I'm really just so intimidated, because I know that the truly great drummers, even the seemingly irresponsible ones like keith moon, and john bonham actually have purcussive degrees... BA's in drums if you will.... lol and you guys talk about your teachers on here a lot... so I feel like I'm lacking some valuable resource. I have very little discipline, and when I sit down to work on rudiments, I end up just doing whatever... slamming around doing the same few beats that I know... I guess I should try to play along with some songs more often eh....

User Info Menu

Yeah, the only reason I got a teacher was to force me to be accountable to someone. That way I had to put in the practice time. If you can't get a teacher, find a drummer friend, and ask them to hold you accountable for your practice.

Kryshah, have you done your rudiments today?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

If you don't want to do rudiments, then don't do the rudiments. I like to think that I've "invented" ways to get around the essential rudiments lol. The only problem is that now that I've taught myself all these techniques, I'm finding out that my favorite drummers are purely rudimental and couldn't make half the things they have if it weren't for proper training, and I feel lag when I try to learn actual styles rather than my own. I'll put some videos up of my "technique" after I get my hands on a camera. It's really just a fill type of thing, but feels cool once you get around it alot.
    I also don't believe that your age should have anything to do with it, that seems like a realization that holds most aspiring drummers in their mid-years to stop. All I have to say is, if you really want to do it, do whatever you can to get there, even if you have to bend things a little.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Hey guys, i really like what pb said about having somebody holding you accountable for your own learning. There is no quick and easy way to learn how to be a good drummer. Anything worth doing takes time to learn how to do it right. Drums are a perfect example of that.

When I first started playing, I was doing the same thing that Kryshah was talking about: banging around with a few beats instead of working on my rudiments. I would work on them for a few minutes, and then get bored. I always thought to myself, "why am I just working on this one little thing when I have a whole kit to play with" and then off I went. Then one day, I decided to try something out that one of my friends suggested I do...

I tricked myself into practicing rudiments. How? Very easily. I removed everything from my coffee table and put a practice pad and a pair of sticks right in the middle of it. Nothing else was allowed on that table. They sat there for a couple of days because I thought it was a stupid idea. Then I noticed that I started picking up the sticks and playing on the pad when I heard a good song on the tv. Then I was playing the music from the commercials. Then I was playing everything that I heard (drove my roommate insane by this time, but I figured his sanity and my playing ability were a good tradeoff ) all the time. I would turn on the radio and play for hours to whatever came on. It did'nt matter. If I did'nt like the beat to the song, I would change it and experiment. Just me and my practice pad. No kit. No distractions. I was playing a lot of the rudiments without even knowing it. Then I pulled out the book and looked at what the rudiments really where, and I was able to bust most of them out. I had gotten over the hurdle of learning that first one by unknowingly learning about 10 of them. That gave me the determination to learn the rest.

That is how I learned them. Nothing spectacular. It did'nt happen over night (I actually did that for about 2 months). You will find that you will pick up the sticks and practice a LOT more if they are sitting right in front of you all the time. Try it. It might work for you. It might not. Just give it a valiant effort and don't let the "this is stupid" thoughts override your creativity.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

1DB, I like it! Thanks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 1DrumBum View Post
    Hey guys, i really like what pb said about having somebody holding you accountable for your own learning. There is no quick and easy way to learn how to be a good drummer. Anything worth doing takes time to learn how to do it right. Drums are a perfect example of that.

When I first started playing, I was doing the same thing that Kryshah was talking about: banging around with a few beats instead of working on my rudiments. I would work on them for a few minutes, and then get bored. I always thought to myself, "why am I just working on this one little thing when I have a whole kit to play with" and then off I went. Then one day, I decided to try something out that one of my friends suggested I do...

I tricked myself into practicing rudiments. How? Very easily. I removed everything from my coffee table and put a practice pad and a pair of sticks right in the middle of it. Nothing else was allowed on that table. They sat there for a couple of days because I thought it was a stupid idea. Then I noticed that I started picking up the sticks and playing on the pad when I heard a good song on the tv. Then I was playing the music from the commercials. Then I was playing everything that I heard (drove my roommate insane by this time, but I figured his sanity and my playing ability were a good tradeoff ) all the time. I would turn on the radio and play for hours to whatever came on. It did'nt matter. If I did'nt like the beat to the song, I would change it and experiment. Just me and my practice pad. No kit. No distractions. I was playing a lot of the rudiments without even knowing it. Then I pulled out the book and looked at what the rudiments really where, and I was able to bust most of them out. I had gotten over the hurdle of learning that first one by unknowingly learning about 10 of them. That gave me the determination to learn the rest.

That is how I learned them. Nothing spectacular. It did'nt happen over night (I actually did that for about 2 months). You will find that you will pick up the sticks and practice a LOT more if they are sitting right in front of you all the time. Try it. It might work for you. It might not. Just give it a valiant effort and don't let the "this is stupid" thoughts override your creativity.
    I think I need to do this, since I got my kit I hardly do my rudiments.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Yeah, the only reason I got a teacher was to force me to be accountable to someone. That way I had to put in the practice time. If you can't get a teacher, find a drummer friend, and ask them to hold you accountable for your practice.
    Great idea PB. You're very wise.
    I was just talking to my wife the other day about how we all need encouragement from everyone else to stay on track. It is human nature to "sway", so to speak. Therefore, for you to understand that, and create an atmosphere of accountability with relation to drumming, shows your level of maturity. I'd be willing to bet you're a great pastor as well.

I salute you!

User Info Menu

Coming from you, Drummer, I consider that high praise. Being older does mean that I've blown it enough to have learned a few things, whether I wanted to, or not!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post

Kryshah, have you done your rudiments today?
    hey PB, thats the EXACT reason why i have a teacher again. He helps me get motivated to pratice.. wow i thought i was the only one, way to do pb

User Info Menu

I am so proud of my teacher, he knows how to teach and to motivate.
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

No higher praise for a teacher, Andreeew. Make sure you tell him. It will make his day!

User Info Menu

Fills are kinda hard to do aren't they? I just practiced the standard roll and now I can do all kind of crazy things.
    The trick isn't what you're doing with your hands, it's what you're doing with your arms. If you keep your roll going on one drum, that's fine, but if you keep your arms moving to different drums (usually in a descending manner) it sounds really amazing.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

Shazane Guest

ok... practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice and practice.

I wouldn't advise finding ways around anything, if you can't do a rudiment, learn it, the best way to learn anything is to practice it to perfection. Learn all the basic rudiments and you'll be able to play alot of things.

In fact, here's every rudiment: http://www.drumrudiments.com/

I too have only standard middle school band training, when I started playing an actual drum set, I had absolutely no idea what to do, I figured it out though.

Another good thing is to watch instructional videos online. This guy's really good for more advanced techniques: http://www.youtube.com/user/djp132
    Last edited by Shazane; 09-21-2007 at 08:48 PM.

User Info Menu

The rudiments can seem daunting. But i would recomend that you try to learn all the basic ones.

The single stroke rolls, double stroke rolls, drag, flam and paradiddles.
    If you can play all of these well, the rest are just a matter of coordination.

On the subject of fills, i would just try to expereiment. Remember that fills can be arranged into "familys". For example 8th note fills, 16 note fills, triplet based fils and so on. Just do for example a relly basic roll around the kit. Then just try to move it around and displace it. Youll be amazed how many interesting fills can be "found" that way. You have a large kit so the possibilities are almost endless!

I hope that helps.

User Info Menu

And remember... when you really get down to it, you can learn anything you want to, or not. For example, I taught myself how to play drums when I was young. It was years before I ever took lessons. And I became pretty good even without a teacher. I may have had more natural ability, I don't know. But I think most of my progress came simply from my passion and desire to practice and get better. I know guys that only play a couple of rudiments but they're still pretty good drummers.

Another thing Krysh... take your time and enjoy the process. Take one lick at a time and just work on it slowly until you get it. You'll find that one by one, they'll start adding up and you will get more and more comfortable with all of drumming. Then of course, when you can afford it, lessons help too.

User Info Menu

I have to admit, the only benefit I received from my teacher was that before I started, I knew absolutely nothing. My teacher got me going on the basic rock beats, rudiments , co-ordination exercises. Pointed me in the right direction so to speak.

That aside, taking lessons did not motivate me at all. My teacher didnt motivate me either. I drove the motivation because I wanted to play and made my decision. Being a good drummer in a short period of time was the only thing on my mind and my driving factor. My motivation was the fact of getting better everyday and seeing the improvements on a daily basis. Thats what made me want to play 4 hours a day of solid practice. Not a teacher.

Now I can play and havent had lessons from a teacher in 2 years. And I am still the only motivation for playing. The next time I take lessons will be to learn a new dimension of playing but certainly not for motivation.

A teacher wont make you love playing the drums but can lead you in the right direction
    Last edited by livewire80; 09-22-2007 at 11:08 PM.

User Info Menu

LW, I agree with you, so maybe "motivation" was the wrong word to use. I can get so busy with my job, that at the end of a day (or night), I'm just tired. What the teacher has done is not let me give in the the tired feeling. I know that I have to push through the tired because I have a teacher that will ask about my practice. On most nights, I have no problem with spending time at the kit, or with a practice pad, but on those tired nights, the thought of my teacher keeps me on track.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kryshah View Post
    So, here's my biggest problem, I think. Though I wanted to drum since I was a wee lad, I didn't actually do anything about it until I was a junior in high school, when I joined the marching band and was stuck with the little bitty 12 inch marching cymbals..... I can read music... but mostly because I took a piano class in high school, and I learned a bit o'violin when I was that very same wee lad. I have never had a formal drum lesson, and couldn't afford one if I wanted to (kinda lucked into my monster set) WHAT DO I DO?? I want to drum, I love to bang around, but frankly I suck. I can't play crazy fills, and I don't really know many rudiments... I'm good at keeping time, and can keep the backbeat really well... I just really screw up when I try fills.
    Hey Kry, I don't know many rudiments either but one thing that I've been doing the last few days is I set my metronome to the speed I want and I do doubles, singles and paradiddles (the only one's I can do ok) all around my kit, this has helped me with my fills.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drum_chick View Post
    Hey Kry, I don't know many rudiments either but one thing that I've been doing the last few days is I set my metronome to the speed I want and I do doubles, singles and paradiddles (the only one's I can do ok) all around my kit, this has helped me with my fills.
    Great idea! I'll try that.

User Info Menu

Hey Krys, anytime you want to work on anything I can come over, or we can meet at the church or where ever....we can work rudi's, latin, jazz, whatever you want....It would be good for both of us...I mean heck I'm rusty as all get out, being as I haven't really played in a lil over 2 years.

User Info Menu

I have to agree about the 'teacher' thing that many have said in this thread.
    I went to a teacher to basically 'embarrass myself ' if I had failed to do what he asked me to do in the last lesson. I guess some call that accountability?

I feel like a right tool ( Aussie word for D*ckhead - there I go again BongoBro ) if I turn up and cant do the excercises , or at least show I have made attempts to do the excercises from the last lesson.

Also, I really enjoy the company of this teacher, he's a young guy and I am his oldest student ( 41yo ) we have a lot of laughs, mainly about my complete inabiltiy to play anything he gives me there on the spot.

I thought about giving him the flick for a while as I went stale but I am so glad I kept up as I am fairly un-imaginative and he gives me new stuff every week.

But , you just GOTTA practice too ! - LOTS.

Wotto
    ' Up the Irons '

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drum_chick View Post
    I think I need to do this, since I got my kit I hardly do my rudiments.....
    I do rudiments 15 minutes before every practice session