Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it just me, or are wuhan cymbals fragile?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Is it just me, or are wuhan cymbals fragile?

My favorite effects cymbal

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolvie56 View Post
    A Wuhan china cymbal is just as strong as any other cymbal as a whole. But having said that when you turn the china right side up with that thin flange pointing up and that's where you hit it with the same force used with any other cymbal, you can expect it to break in that area way sooner than other cymbals. It has lasted for 3 years until you turned it right side up. China's should be played upside down hump up with the use of a cymbal spring as well for maximum protection.
    I have to disagree here. I've always played my chinas right-side up and never cracked one. I use very thin chinas as well. Granted I'm not a super hard hitter, but I use chinas pretty often and they're always right-side up. They are pretty loose on the stand so that they can move freely when hit (as with all my other cymbals) and I've never had a problem. I was always told that the hump was a stress point so I don't ever hit there. In adition, at least with the china I currently have, it sounds much fuller when mounted bell-up. I don't know, maybe I'm just very lucky...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcs90 View Post
    I have to disagree here. I've always played my chinas right-side up and never cracked one. I use very thin chinas as well. Granted I'm not a super hard hitter, but I use chinas pretty often and they're always right-side up. They are pretty loose on the stand so that they can move freely when hit (as with all my other cymbals) and I've never had a problem. I was always told that the hump was a stress point so I don't ever hit there. In adition, at least with the china I currently have, it sounds much fuller when mounted bell-up. I don't know, maybe I'm just very lucky...
    Probably a combination of being on the light side as far as forceful hitting, and a conscience effort to take it easy on that thin flange. People tend to smash their China's because they sound cool and different, and they make a good end to a roll like a crash does. Not sure about the hump being a stress point. Physics would tend to point to the edge as being the weakest point on a China cymbal I would think. Maybe not. Yeah, loose on the stand, or the use of cymbal springs is the way to go. I use them on all of my cymbals. I think your method is cool even though it's the exception rather than the norm.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolvie56 View Post
    Probably a combination of being on the light side as far as forceful hitting, and a conscience effort to take it easy on that thin flange. People tend to smash their China's because they sound cool and different, and they make a good end to a roll like a crash does. Not sure about the hump being a stress point. Physics would tend to point to the edge as being the weakest point on a China cymbal I would think. Maybe not. Yeah, loose on the stand, or the use of cymbal springs is the way to go. I use them on all of my cymbals. I think your method is cool even though it's the exception rather than the norm.
    Yeah, I use them at the end of rolls and when there's a big build-up sometimes I may hit them a little harder, but even then it's a lot less than many other drummers I know in person. I know one person who hit their china much less than me, but had it upside-down and hit probably 3 times as hard and his cracked. It was also thicker than mine. As for the stress point, not sure, that's just what I've been told. It could make sense if the cymbal is bent to make that shape but the edge is often a lot thinner. I guess there could be an argument for both, really. I've never tried a cymbal spring but if I had my china upside-down I definitely would. All my cymbals are on the thinner side, and mounted loose they all have plenty of flex which seems to help with the impact when I do hit harder.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ray on the Drums View Post
    My favorite effects cymbal

What does that thing sound like? (sound file ?)

Acoustic & Electronic:
    Pearl Prestige World Series WLX 1988
    Tama Swingstar 1983
    Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive (Birch) 2007
    Ludwig Acrolite Snare 1976
    Ludwig Supraphonic 6.5x14" 2021
    Pearl Sensitone Elite Aluminum 5.5" and 6.5" Snare
    Pearl COB Custom Deluxe [Gladstone] (75-76) Snare
    Love Drum Co. Hammered Steel 5.5" Snare
    Roland TD-1KV

Paiste
    Accent 8"

Paiste Signature:
    6", 10" Splash
    14" Dark Crisp Hi-Hats
    14" Sound Edge Hi-Hats
    16", 17", 18",19", 20" Full Crash
    22" Symphonic Med-Heavy (use as a Ride)

Paiste Formula 602:
    22" Formula 602 Modern Essentials Ride

Paiste 2oo2:
    22" Ride
    16" Crash
    8",10" Splash

Paiste 2oo2 Big Beat:
    15" Hi-Hats
    19", 20", 21" Big Beat Multifunctional

Paiste Sound Formula:
    16" Crash
    20" Full Ride (Frankenstein)

Paiste Twenty:
    16" China

Paiste Alpha (original Swiss made):
    12" Splash

Paiste PST7:
    Medium
    16", 18" Crash
    20" Ride
    14" Hi-Hats

Sabian:
    XS20 18" China
    AA 14" Fusion Hi-Hats

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EyePea View Post
    What does that thing sound like? (sound file ?)
    Sound file? Never done one but I'll look into it soon though.

I know you've all probably seen this video before but I don't see a cheap china doing this for very long.

Last edited by Ray on the Drums; 01-17-2014 at 08:22 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcs90 View Post
    Yeah, I use them at the end of rolls and when there's a big build-up sometimes I may hit them a little harder, but even then it's a lot less than many other drummers I know in person. I know one person who hit their china much less than me, but had it upside-down and hit probably 3 times as hard and his cracked. It was also thicker than mine. As for the stress point, not sure, that's just what I've been told. It could make sense if the cymbal is bent to make that shape but the edge is often a lot thinner. I guess there could be an argument for both, really. I've never tried a cymbal spring but if I had my china upside-down I definitely would. All my cymbals are on the thinner side, and mounted loose they all have plenty of flex which seems to help with the impact when I do hit harder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray on the Drums View Post

I know you've all probably seen this video before but I don't see a cheap china doing this for very long.

Yeah, that is an amazing video. What's even more amazing is the fact that a thin cymbal is more able to survive this treatment than a thicker cymbal. Which seems backwards because we all think that thicker, bigger, and heavier is better. But the thicker cymbal has it's own mass working against it. The thicker the cymbal is, the harder the strike force has to work to make it's way through the cymbal. So instead of a constant flow, sometimes the wave is impeded by it's own mass creating a stress fatigue point that ends up later being a crack over time. Usually on the edge, or along the tonal ridge lines. That's why a crashing a ride hard is a bad idea. A thinner cymbal has less mass which allows the strike force to travel nearly unimpeded through the cymbals mass.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

great post #31...Thanks Ray
    Most definitely. As a matter of fact, there will be "NO LIMIT"... just an unending quagmire of musical genius.