Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it just me, or are wuhan cymbals fragile?

User Info Menu

Default Is it just me, or are wuhan cymbals fragile?

I've been using the same 14' Wuhan China for about 3 years now. Just recently, it got two huge cracks in it. I don't know if that means Wuhan isn't very high quality, or what, but it cracked. Am I hitting too hard? Is it just the cymbal? Or, do all cymbals break over time? What are your thoughts?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Is it just me, or are wuhan cymbals fragile?

It's hard to say what caused the cymbal to break. There are a number of factors. Wuhan china's are fairly popular. But to answer the question, yes, cymbals can and do break. Most of the time it's due to abuse- technique, hitting too hard, too tight on the stand…
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

Alright, thanks for the help

User Info Menu

You're welcome. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful but like I said it's hard to really tell why it broke.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat Ryan!

There are indeed higher quality chinas to be had - also quite a bit more expensive. A lot of people like the Wuhan chinas especially because they are cheap, so if they do crack, they're not too expensive to replace.

That said, drumsetsnide is correct that there are a number of factors that could cause the problem. With chinas, we have to ask how you mount yours - most people invert theirs to protect the edge. The other question would be, where did it crack? That information could help us understand what might have happened.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Angry Re: Is it just me, or are wuhan cymbals fragile?

Well I used to invert it, but recently I put it back to see if it sounded different. It didn't but I decided to leave it as is. One crack is on the edge and one is at the end of the "bump" i would show you but I dont know how to post a picture. How do you?

User Info Menu

Wuhans are no more fragile than any other cymbal.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Wuhans are no more fragile than any other cymbal.
    True, all though I personally think in general china cymbals, are a bit more fragile then say a crash, ride or hats. But if you take care of them they should. Double check on the technique you have. If you don't think that's the problem you could possibly be just a hard hitter
    Happy Drumming!

IS15

User Info Menu

Oh alright, thanks for the info.

User Info Menu

I think this is funny cause it's Wuhan.... I mean they are the cheapest of cheap China's. But for the price you can afford to beat break and replace with no worries. The fact you got 3 years impresses me lol

User Info Menu

Wuhans will last as long as any other cymbal if hit and taken care of correctly. There are some that may not be made as well, however. Obviously yours was not one of those if it lasted 3 years. Considering their price I wouldn't be too worried about it to be honest. I would focus on technique and stuff like that however, as any cymbal can break.

User Info Menu

I played Wuhans for several years as my practice cymbals.

Sold them with no damage incurred. For the price they were an excellent value.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Never had any problem with Wuhan splashes, and the two mini chinas (12") that I got my hands on a while back have been fine. Any cymbal abused long enough will break sooner or later.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

I like the Wuhan cymbals. I cant remember the model, but they have one that the crashes and rides were very dark and complex cymbals. Too bad nobody near me carries them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    I like the Wuhan cymbals. I cant remember the model, but they have one that the crashes and rides were very dark and complex cymbals. Too bad nobody near me carries them.

That might be an older discontinued series. The ones they sell now are very bright-sounding. Maybe look into Dream Bliss? That might be similar.

User Info Menu

It's weird because my 10' wuhan splash hasn't broken, it's in perfect condition and, in fact, sounds tremendous considering how cheap it was.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post

There are indeed higher quality chinas to be had - also quite a bit more expensive. A lot of people like the Wuhan chinas especially because they are cheap, so if they do crack, they're not too expensive to replace.
    Exactly.
    For the money, Wuhan is the best-value effect cymbal out there.
    I have owned an 18" China for 20 years (before they were well-known) and I added a 14" China a year ago.
    They are very different but both sound great............no damage on either.

BTW...........did you guys know that the "bump" where the hole is drilled is actually a handle so these cymbals can be used as hand-held, as in symphonic cymbals ???
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Exactly.
    For the money, Wuhan is the best-value effect cymbal out there.
    I have owned an 18" China for 20 years (before they were well-known) and I added a 14" China a year ago.
    They are very different but both sound great............no damage on either.

BTW...........did you guys know that the "bump" where the hole is drilled is actually a handle so these cymbals can be used as hand-held, as in symphonic cymbals ???

Yeah, they also make these smaller heavier versions with the handle, like 6" to 8". They sound like bells when played separately. Never tried playing 2 of the big ones as hand cymbals, was curious if anyone had done that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcs90 View Post
    Yeah, they also make these smaller heavier versions with the handle, like 6" to 8". They sound like bells when played separately. Never tried playing 2 of the big ones as hand cymbals, was curious if anyone had done that.
    Seen them being used as two cymbals to clash against each other at festive events like the Dragon Dance in Chinatown during Chinese New Year, for example.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Ryan, the guys are right that the Wuhans can last if care is taken. The trick with any cymbal is to not drive the stick straight into it. If you swipe slightly left or right as you strike, you will still get a good sound from the cymbal, and you will prevent the metal fatigue that leads to cracking. Especially with chinas, the tendency is to whack 'em good with a straight on strike, and over time, they'll crack.

The reason you will see some pros using a straight on strike is that they have cymbal endorsements. Those endorsements mean free cymbals, so it doesn't matter if they crack. Those of us that don't get free cymbals need to use use technique to make our cymbals last.

Hope that helps.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ryan2112 View Post
    Am I hitting too hard? Is it just the cymbal? Or, do all cymbals break over time?
    Yes.

While there are exceptions to just about everything, cymbals just plain wear out and develop cracks if they are crashed and/or played for a long amount of time. Granted, there are vintage cymbals out there, but if you'll notice, the majority of them are ride cymbals. In my experience, cymbals that are crashed just don't last as long, but a good quality cymbal SHOULD have a substantial amount of life if not abused.

With that said, Wuhan chinas are cheap, thin, and although they sound good, they crack over time. Some folks even like the trashier sound of a cracked Wuhan (go figure).

All in all, you aren't doing anything wrong. I think that if you are playing a lot and/or if you are a relatively heavy hitter, you're doing pretty good to get 3 years out of a wuhan. You might want to look into getting a cymbal spring. I'll be this would increase the life of your china(s) by adding a little more "give" when laid into.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ryan2112 View Post
    Well I used to invert it, but recently I put it back to see if it sounded different. It didn't but I decided to leave it as is. One crack is on the edge and one is at the end of the "bump" i would show you but I dont know how to post a picture. How do you?
    Not sure Im following this correctly, but I seem to remember reading that china cymbals should only be played upside down (like you usually see them being played). If you install them like a normal cymbal with the flared edge edge pointing up, then your hitting it on the edge.

I have a $20 Wuhan splash and I beat the snot out of it. It thin as paper, but has yet to crack or break. If it does, I'll spend $20 and buy another one, LOL.
    Last edited by N2Bluz; 01-16-2014 at 05:06 PM.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

i find chinas in general are probably most likely to crack. probably now thinking of it due to a earlier post hitting 'em like the pros with cymbal endorsements
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Not sure Im following this correctly, but I seem to remember reading that china cymbals should only be played upside down (like you usually see them being played). If you install them like a normal cymbal with the flared edge edge pointing up, then your hitting it on the edge.

I have a $20 Wuhan splash and I beat the snot out of it. It thin as paper, but has yet to crack or break. If it does, I'll spend $20 and buy another one, LOL.
    i feel like it depends how hard you hit it what kind and also the angle
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

A Wuhan china cymbal is just as strong as any other cymbal as a whole. But having said that when you turn the china right side up with that thin flange pointing up and that's where you hit it with the same force used with any other cymbal, you can expect it to break in that area way sooner than other cymbals. It has lasted for 3 years until you turned it right side up. China's should be played upside down hump up with the use of a cymbal spring as well for maximum protection.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash