View Poll Results: Which Direct Drive do you prefer?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Trick Pro 1-V

2 7.14%
  • Trick Dominator

1 3.57%
  • Pearl Demon Drive

12 42.86%
  • Axis Longboards

4 14.29%
  • Mapex Raptor

4 14.29%
  • Yamaha Flying Dragon

0 0%
  • Gibraltar Intruder

1 3.57%
  • Ludwig Speedking

4 14.29%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Ultimate Direct Drive Bass Pedal Throwdown...

User Info Menu

Default Re: The Ultimate Direct Drive Bass Pedal Throwdown...

i went for the demon drive, i've only had that and the axis long board ones, i've reverted back to a chain dw 5000
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

The Mapex Raptor apparently has some issues as a double pedal but I have the single and it is a fantastic bit of kit - especially for the price.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    I agree and that's why I didn't like the Speedking. It can only feel one way because the whole thing is fixed. Unless they are inside but still wouldn't be able to make an adjustment. But I think what gives it action is the arced piece of the pedal at the base of the beater.

The only way I can describe the feel I got is to think of how it feels when you drive over a speed hump. Those big ones that don't make the car bounce too much.
    Speedkings have compression springs located within the posts on the pedal...trick pedals do as well, just slightly different config...
    Last edited by scorch whammin; 01-06-2014 at 03:21 PM.

User Info Menu

FYI:
    SpeedKing adjustments are done with a big, flat head screwdriver on the two spring adjustment screws at the base of the posts. About time some of you "young'ens" know this.
    Last edited by slinglander; 01-06-2014 at 07:46 PM.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by scorch whammin View Post
    Speedkings have compression springs located within the posts on the pedal...trick pedals do as well, just slightly different config...
    ahh I get it now, thanks
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Is a Ghost a direct drive?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hellwyck View Post
    Chris Adler from Lamb Of God swore by the Axis Longboards for most of his career... must be worth something.
    I'm not saying they aren't by any means, I was just kidding around. He uses Trick now though, right?

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I've always always wanted longboards...so for christmas last year I bought them for myself... I have not regretted the decision once. And the beaters have NEVER hit me in the foot. lol And I feel silly for saying this but never heard of those Trick pedals. I'm intrigued by their designs
    Spaz, search YouTube for some vids, they have a few on there where they show you every little nook and cranny about that pedal...very intriguing stuff. I especially like the seemingly flawless linkage, how easily everything adjusts, and the screwless bass drum hoop clamp.

Why doesn't Ludwig make a Speedking double or do they?
    Not sure, but you could always just get a second kick

Quote Originally Posted by Zickos View Post
    After seeing your thread the other day, and I had not heard of them, but it looks like they are. And those are very cool.

I appreciate everyone's input on this subject.
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zickos View Post
    Yes, if you are referring to the Ludwig Ghost pedal....

User Info Menu

I was going to buy a set of Trick Bigfoots, they felt amazing and the price was awesome. I came in a few day later on payday, and they were gone, but the guy at GC said he could give me the Demon Drives close to the price of the used Tricks, so I just went with the Pearls, which feel close enough to the Tricks.

User Info Menu

anyone know what happed to that company that made direct drive mods fo popular pedals like the dw5000?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I was going to buy a set of Trick Bigfoots, they felt amazing and the price was awesome. I came in a few day later on payday, and they were gone, but the guy at GC said he could give me the Demon Drives close to the price of the used Tricks, so I just went with the Pearls, which feel close enough to the Tricks.
    So what does close enough feel like? What would you say are the differences between them?

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    anyone know what happed to that company that made direct drive mods fo popular pedals like the dw5000?
    If they're still around that would be really cool...but I didn't know there even was such a thing.

Click for Gear Pics!

User Info Menu

Might have been two years ago I saw it first in a thread in drum chat

But all my searches have come up short of late

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RHD03 View Post
    So what does close enough feel like? What would you say are the differences between them?

the Tricks felt more "solid" as in, its feel was closer to the beefiness of a chain drive, but obviously ultra quick and smooth as it is direct drive. The Pearls are great, but if the GC guy didnt give me that deal, i would have just waited for another deal on the Tricks (or saved up for Trick Dominators).

User Info Menu

I've got the Pearl Demons, and they work perfectly for me. Not that I have much experience with different pedals, but the Demons are the lightest I've found, ideal for my needs!
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    the Tricks felt more "solid" as in, its feel was closer to the beefiness of a chain drive, but obviously ultra quick and smooth as it is direct drive. The Pearls are great, but if the GC guy didnt give me that deal, i would have just waited for another deal on the Tricks (or saved up for Trick Dominators).
    Cool man, thanks for the clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by cabasner View Post
    I've got the Pearl Demons, and they work perfectly for me. Not that I have much experience with different pedals, but the Demons are the lightest I've found, ideal for my needs!
    I'm sure they are amazing pedals, I don't think there's a "bad" pedal on this list.

Click for Gear Pics!

User Info Menu

I've had the Demon Drives for a couple years now and I love them. It did take a while to get used to the feel of the direct drive after playing chain driven pedals for 18+ years. The demons are smooth and fast as lightning but you don't feel like you're playing on air like with Axis pedals. The adjustable footboard is also a nice touch.

User Info Menu

With the Drumnetics Magnetic Bass Drum Pedal you do play on air! Well, magnetic fields...that's still air, tho!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT

User Info Menu

The Axis and Trick's look like they are geared for the blast beat drummers.
    There's also the Czarcie Kopyto pedals. They're so metal they have pentagrams on them.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xweasel View Post
    There's also the Czarcie Kopyto pedals. They're so metal they have pentagrams on them.
    ...but still no magnets!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    You're probably thinking of Stomp Drive. They make direct drive mods for elims, ICs/SCs, and Raptors.
    - Zack