Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I being too picky here?

User Info Menu

Default Am I being too picky here?

The drama continues with my sonor, after hemin and hawing over the idea to install a rack mount on a virgin kick I finally decided to do it. That was 3 weeks ago and after I got it home the whole rack tom would move a little when playing no matter how tight I got the screw. I took it back to store and they were shocked as well and have never seen another kit do it so they ordered another rack mount last week, installed it and I went and picked it up today and got it home and see that it is exactly the same.

I have doubts that they actually changed it but I really cannot accuse them of that unless I know for sure I mean maybe it's just sonor has a bad batch of mounts or something.

Anyway take a look at the video and let me know what you think? I sent an e-mail asking what my options are at this point and I will let ya know what response I get. the real sad thing is the kit still sounds awesome and looks fantastic. It's not like I can get another one as there was on 24 of these kits sold in the USA

Last edited by MDK; 12-28-2013 at 07:16 PM.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Default Re: Am I being too picky here?

The video is private, can't see it until the privacy is turned to public. You should see if they really did order new one, by putting a little dot with a sharpie on the mount, then you'll know if your getting the same one back
    Happy Drumming!

IS15

User Info Menu

ooopppss sorry try it now..
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

The same thing happens with my Gretsch, But I just tighten it up with my hand and my tuning key at the parts every now and again and it fixes it but it doesn't fix it 100% But I don't find it annoying, Try tightening the bottom part with a tuning key if you haven't already tried that. Keep us posted I wish you good luck with your problem, Nice finish on the kit btw.
    "I don’t think a drummer should have to show off to get noticed. You’re like the conductor of a train. You keep the train on the tracks – let everybody else worry about everything else.” -Nathan Followill.

Grear List
    Cymbals: Zildjian K
    15" Light Hi Hats
    14" Hi Hats
    18" Dark Thin Crash
    19" Dark Thin Crash
    22" Light Ride
    Drum Kit: Gretsch Catalina Maple
    12/14/20
    Snare: Ludwig
    Epic 14"x5.5 Soon to be upgraded.

Keep the Peace!

User Info Menu

I'd venture a guess that any mount fully extended like yours will shake. Consider the Tom weight and the mechanics of such a system. Probably with the mount lowered the shake disappears. Or that central rod should be 3 x it's diameter!( but who would buy into that?) Yamaha uses the same concept for their tom kick mounts, same problem if fully extended.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    I'd venture a guess that any mount fully extended like yours will shake. Consider the Tom weight and the mechanics of such a system. Probably with the mount lowered the shake disappears. Or that central rod should be 3 x it's diameter!( but who would buy into that?) Yamaha uses the same concept for their tom kick mounts, same problem if fully extended.
    Actually it does it the exact same lowered. I just raised it so you could see it better.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

That's a lot of movable joints in one mount. Any movement from clearances will be cumulative. In any event, it looks like the center post is turning in the bass drum mount bracket? Usually, the memory lock on the down tube has a key that fits nice and tight into a keyway in the bracket....which prevents it from turning. Don't stress about it too much....I GUARANTEE there is a way to make it more solid. You'll figure something out.

BTW- that is one phenomenal looking kit!!!!
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Right, if the memory lock fits into its niche and the bass drum bracket is tight there should be no rotation. Wobble is something memory locks can't do anything about.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT

User Info Menu

That's not wobble. That's rotational movement. Something isn't locking right. Is that memory lock at the bottom of the pipe tight?
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Looking at the video again, I can see the memory lock rotating 1 or 2 degrees in the mounting bracket/base. I would think that if the key on the memory lock fit properly in the keyway, it shouldn't turn at all. I'd bet anything the key on the memory lock is slightly undersized or the keyway in the bracket is slightly oversized. (Or both). Probably due to poor manufacturing tolerances at the factory where those parts are made. I'm sure Sonor has someone cast those brackets and memory locks for them. That would explsin why the new parts act the same way. You could probably buy an aftermarket memory lock that has a larger key, then file it down until you get a nice, tight fit in the keyway (notch) on the mounting base.
    Last edited by N2Bluz; 12-29-2013 at 12:35 AM.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I decided to do some Googling. It seems that your memory lock on the upright pipe of the tom mount, is also a key. Does the memory lock fit snug into this little keyhole?
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

there is also a thick piece of rubber under that mount acting like a shock absorber. Try taking that out and use a piece of felt instead.

User Info Menu

I'm pretty lenient with such things but that would bother me especially on a new kit like that (beautiful kit). There shouldn't be that much wobble fully extended or not. You say that was a virgin kick, who drilled the hole? I suspect it wouldn't take much of a mismeasurement to have something act up like that. I'd want some tube going into the drum (ala old Pearl) vs four nuts and bolts holding all that up. Would seem more sturdy.

Sorry if I misunderstood your post and I'm not saying the hole is mismeasured.

I'm using an old Tama stilt for my rack tom and it has some problems right now. It shakes almost uncontrollably due to some worn out components. I've just been putting off fixing it. I don't want to get rid of it because it's so adjustable. Really like having all the options it allows.
    Last edited by slinky; 12-29-2013 at 06:22 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kazaamski View Post

I decided to do some Googling. It seems that your memory lock on the upright pipe of the tom mount, is also a key. Does the memory lock fit snug into this little keyhole?
    The memory lock does not fit snug into the keyhole, we tried the same thing with a SQ2 he had on the floor and it also did not fit snug but also did not rotate so we figured it was the base.. Supposedly they replaced it but I have my doubts.

I am waiting for a response to an e-mail I sent last night, the response will decide what I do from here. I have a contact at sonor I may e-mail if I am not satisfied.

I doubt the drilled hole has anything to do with the problem, The downtube definetly rotates in the key slot. Maybe finding thicker memory lock will work, I may even try to stick a very thin metal shim that I have in there but I paid for this to work so I would rather not jerry rig it.

NR- I don't see how taking the rubber out of the bottom of the mount will help, the base itself does not move at all just the down tube the fits into it.

Thanks for the responses guys I really appreciate it.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

No. IMHO the downtube should have stayed in it's pants and left the kick's virginity in tact.
    Last edited by inthpktplayer; 12-29-2013 at 08:11 AM.

User Info Menu

Sorry MDK I thought it was the whole mount moving.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    No. IMHO the downtube should have stayed in it's pants and left the kick's virginity in tact.
    I see what you did there Yeah in hindsight I feel the same way but I would have just sold it had I not done it and like I said I love the sound so I figured this would help and really it should do what I wanted it to so hopefully it gets fixed.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

After viewing your video and the comments from the other readers I went to my practice room to check out my Sonor 3007 tom mount. Mine is the same as yours. Mine too has about the same rotation as yours. I am old school from the days when everything moved, starting playing in 64. To me my system is solid when compared to the systems of old. This Tuesday I will check my Gretsch tom mount to see what level of play I have in my gig kit when we play our New Year’s Eve job.
    Now playing Gretsch and Slingerland Drums

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rritter View Post
    After viewing your video and the comments from the other readers I went to my practice room to check out my Sonor 3007 tom mount. Mine is the same as yours. Mine too has about the same rotation as yours. I am old school from the days when everything moved, starting playing in 64. To me my system is solid when compared to the systems of old. This Tuesday I will check my Gretsch tom mount to see what level of play I have in my gig kit when we play our New Year’s Eve job.
    My Saturn does not move at all, I bet could pick it up and hold it sideways but I wont..LOL.. Come to think of it my crappy $100 Peace kit does not move at all either..seems like it should be an easy thing to prevent?
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

There is something wrong with that mount. The lock should fit into the keyhole. But even so, my Tama is a similar design and without the lock nothing moves. Go to your shop and check out other kits with that mount and compare them.

User Info Menu

What a great kit! Sorry I can't add to the advice, but I am pretty sure that would irritate me moving like that. I sometimes get wobbles because i can't tighten stuff with my hands, so I get one of the boys in my band to do it, or my tutor.
    I hope you get it sorted.
    Bridie

User Info Menu

send sonor your video maybe they could help you

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

I'm with NR on this, something is wrong with the mount. Does the compression system in the mount tighten the pole? Maybe something wrong with that ring system, if it doesn't.

User Info Menu

I just bought a new 6-piece Sonor Force 2007 kit a few weeks ago. Very disappointed with what would appear to be a serious lack of quality control with my particular kit. The bass drum tom mount was pitted, six of the bass drum lugs were pitted with light rust, one of the bass drum claws is pitted and rusted, both memory locks to position the toms were missing from the two TA 278 tom arms...and the biggest issue was the 10 x 8 tom not matching in color (Blue Fade) to the other drums in the kit. I called Sonor and they have to order all of the parts which is two to three month wait. Fortunately, they had a new 10 x 8 tom in the color I needed and they shipped it out to me promptly.

For some reason, I cannot view the video that is posted here in this thread. I assembled my kit just a few days ago and I noticed that the memory locks on the tom arms for the height adjustment into the main tube do not fit tight. There is a small amount of movement in both of them because the keyway is slightly bigger than the tab on the memory locks. Not sure why they would make them this way intentionally, but if there is a keyway present I would expect that the components would fit tight and not have any play in them at all. I do not notice any sliding on the main tube of mine. I will say that I did have to crank the tightening nut down pretty good though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by machinedrumkelly View Post
    The drama continues with my sonor, after hemin and hawing over the idea to install a rack mount on a virgin kick I finally decided to do it. That was 3 weeks ago and after I got it home the whole rack tom would move a little when playing no matter how tight I got the screw. I took it back to store and they were shocked as well and have never seen another kit do it so they ordered another rack mount last week, installed it and I went and picked it up today and got it home and see that it is exactly the same.

I have doubts that they actually changed it but I really cannot accuse them of that unless I know for sure I mean maybe it's just sonor has a bad batch of mounts or something.

Anyway take a look at the video and let me know what you think? I sent an e-mail asking what my options are at this point and I will let ya know what response I get. the real sad thing is the kit still sounds awesome and looks fantastic. It's not like I can get another one as there was on 24 of these kits sold in the USA

You stated above that they ordered another bass drum mount and replaced it from the original one they installed. Did they order the mount directly from Sonor? I ask this because when I called Sonor two to three weeks ago about the pitting that was on my bass drum mount that was new out of the box, the rep told me it would have to be special ordered (along with all the other pieces that there were issues with) and it would be a two to three month wait because there were none in stock. I would really question if they replaced it with a second mount or not. Also...if I may ask, what shop did you take your drum in to have this done?