Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tama or Gretsch????

User Info Menu

Default Tama or Gretsch????

I'm looking to purchase my first drum set for my daughter and I. I need some thoughts/opinions on whether to go with a 6 pc Tama Superstar Hyperdrive with Sabian HH/AA/HH cymbals or a 6 pc Gretsch Catalina Birch with Zildjian A cymbals? Both of these sets are used for around $1200. Thanks for the help and Happy Holidays!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tama or Gretsch????

No question, go with the Gretsch. I like Tama, play Tama, but the shells on the Gretsch are going to be much better on the Catalina Birch than the Superstar.
    Last edited by Sat Nite Rockstar; 12-22-2013 at 10:00 PM.

User Info Menu

Yeah, I used to play Tama, but switched to Gretsch, because they sound so much better. If you can avoid the Birch in favor of Catalina Maple, do that. Birch is a harsher, rock & roll sound, but maple is a warmer all around every genre sound.
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat, both of you.

I think either kit will be very nice. Look at the condition of each and figure out which finish is more appealing. A wrap will be more durable but a lacquer finish will probably be prettier.

I tend to like the Zildjian A cymbals better but that is just my taste. I'd probably confuse you more but I'd put the Zildjians with the TAMAs and call it good.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Thanks for the quick replies people, much appreciated. I plan on making a decision tomorrow so my daughters and I can enjoy them over the X-mas week. One more question, does $1200 sound reasonable for both sets? I'm glad to have found drum chat, seems like a really cool site, cool people, and lots of info. Thanks again.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Madd Dingo View Post
    Thanks for the quick replies people, much appreciated. I plan on making a decision tomorrow so my daughters and I can enjoy them over the X-mas week. One more question, does $1200 sound reasonable for both sets? I'm glad to have found drum chat, seems like a really cool site, cool people, and lots of info. Thanks again.
    Welcome to the forums, really either set will work well. Personally I love Tama and everything they do, Tama was my entry level set, and it lasted great, but do whichever you like best. Usually for people first going into drums they buy entry level sets, which are around 500$ dollars in a lot of cases, and they will buy a cymbal pack with hi hats, a crash, and a ride, or just a hi hat and crash/ride, and those usually go anywhere from 100$-250$ depending on type and quality. However neither the Tama susperstar hyperdrive or the Gretsch Catalina's are considered "entry level", but more on the intermediate/semi-professional side. I would say the kit combined with cymbals makes a great deal. Especially since neither those are just your average beginner cymabls you usually start out with
    Happy Drumming!

IS15

User Info Menu

For me it's a tough call on choosing from those two drum sets you've listed. I'd say they're both nice.

Acoustic & Electronic:
    Pearl Prestige World Series WLX 1988
    Tama Swingstar 1983
    Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive (Birch) 2007
    Ludwig Acrolite Snare 1976
    Ludwig Supraphonic 6.5x14" 2021
    Pearl Sensitone Elite Aluminum 5.5" and 6.5" Snare
    Pearl COB Custom Deluxe [Gladstone] (75-76) Snare
    Love Drum Co. Hammered Steel 5.5" Snare
    Roland TD-1KV

Paiste
    Accent 8"

Paiste Signature:
    6", 10" Splash
    14" Dark Crisp Hi-Hats
    14" Sound Edge Hi-Hats
    16", 17", 18",19", 20" Full Crash
    22" Symphonic Med-Heavy (use as a Ride)

Paiste Formula 602:
    22" Formula 602 Modern Essentials Ride

Paiste 2oo2:
    22" Ride
    16" Crash
    8",10" Splash

Paiste 2oo2 Big Beat:
    15" Hi-Hats
    19", 20", 21" Big Beat Multifunctional

Paiste Sound Formula:
    16" Crash
    20" Full Ride (Frankenstein)

Paiste Twenty:
    16" China

Paiste Alpha (original Swiss made):
    12" Splash

Paiste PST7:
    Medium
    16", 18" Crash
    20" Ride
    14" Hi-Hats

Sabian:
    XS20 18" China
    AA 14" Fusion Hi-Hats

User Info Menu

How experienced are you or your daughter with drums? That seems to me like more drum kit than you need for someone just starting out. I see lots of used drum kits on craigslist priced about USA $ 400, name brands such as Pearl or Ludwig.

User Info Menu

You are getting a good price for a mid-level kit with decent cymbals included. If you think your daughter is dedicated enough to stick with this, don't go with cheap entry -level kits, because you will spend more later to replace them.

Again, if you can get a Catalina Maple instead of Birch, you will have a better all around kit, and not just a Rock kit.
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

I'd got with the Superstars, not because Tama are always better than Gretsch (or vice-versa) but the Superstars sound better than the Catalina Birch from my experience.

I would actually probably get Tama Silverstars unless you are playing mostly hard rock, but I don't know what's available in your area. Those prices sound kind of high for used IMHO.

If you were to get Catalina's, I think agree that Maples would be better.

If that's your budget I would look at Mapex Meridian Maples as well. I just got a kit and they are great drums.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

TAMA with Zildjian cymbals. Nuf said!
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

Tama and Zildjians with out a doubt. The Superstars sound awesome, the Hyperdrives sound really awesome. I have 2 different Tama kits, a Starclassic Bubinga and a newer Silverstar. They are spectacular sets. The hardware on the Superstars is very nice, especially the die-cast hoops. I also use Zildjians (A Custom and K Custom) too, for about 10 years. They sound very good and I've never cracked one. Highly recommend the Tamas and the Zildjians. Good luck man.

User Info Menu

You are buying some really nice kits for your daughter, especially a first kit. Are you sure she really wants to play? If she chooses not to you'd lose a lot of money.
    6 Piece Pearl Masters Custom Extra Maple
    14x5.5 Snare
    10x8 Tom
    12x9 Tom
    14x12 Floor Tom
    15x13 Floor Tom
    22x16 Bass Drum

Miscellaneous Hardware
    14 inch Zildjian Quick Beats
    16 inch Istanbul Xist Crash
    20 inch Meinl HCS ride.

User Info Menu

No question here: Go with the Tama kit~! The Hyperdrive is a solid performer - you wont ever regret buying them. Tama's quality is unsurpassed ~ And I would go with the Zildjian A's---I own some Zildjian A's - marvelous sound~ totally a Pro level cymbal.
    Last edited by Warren Wright; 12-23-2013 at 12:48 PM.
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

For all of you guys with doubts about the daughter...

The way I read it, it was for both him and her. The dad can't lose. Muaahaahaahaha
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I have both a Superstar kit and Catalina kit (ash). I would say the sound quality is comparable, but the Tama hardware is superior. My favorite cymbals are the A/K Customs, but the A Zildjians are great too.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Wright View Post
    No question here: Go with the Tama kit~! The Hyperdrive is a solid performer - you wont ever regret buying them. Tama's quality is unsurpassed ~ And I would go with the Zildjian A's---I own some Zildjian A's - marvelous sound~ totally a Pro level cymbal.
    +1 about the hardware...Tama hardware is extremely reliable and durable, I'm using my original pedals, and stands from 5 years ago, there's no dents, on the stands, and no issues with the hardware wearing out. Tama really does make amazing hardware
    Happy Drumming!

IS15

User Info Menu

Go with the Catalina ( maple) if possible with the Zildjian A you won't be dissappointed

User Info Menu

All things being equal I would offer them both $900 and see if one bites or comes close..for a 1st kit there is not much difference that will be noticeable and both have approximately the same resale value and without pics of the kits it is tough to tell.

There are a lot of variables like how many cymbals, head condition, wrap or lacquer etc etc but $1200 seems fair as long as conditions are all good. keep us posted, and welcome.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    For all of you guys with doubts about the daughter...

The way I read it, it was for both him and her. The dad can't lose. Muaahaahaahaha
    You're probably right Bish

..........just can't believe I haven't tried that yet..................hey babe, here's your Christmas present.......................a new set of Ludwig Classic Maples!

don't think that would go over very well at my house

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    You're probably right Bish

..........just can't believe I haven't tried that yet..................hey babe, here's your Christmas present.......................a new set of Ludwig Classic Maples!

don't think that would go over very well at my house
    I tried it with a new snare drum for my wife. Now I have to sleep at night with one eye open. I don't know why she insists on keeping her cutlery in the bedroom now.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I tried it with a new snare drum for my wife. Now I have to sleep at night with one eye open. I don't know why she insists on keeping her cutlery in the bedroom now.
    Sounds like our wives are eerily similar!

Then again, maybe it's us

User Info Menu

Bish, you should have bought a ring and taped it to the top of the snare she would have taken the ring for herself then she would have said I don't want this drum then you could have said that's alright honey, I'll take the drum off of your hands. lol,... If I'm going to get something for myself I usually get the wife something also to keep her happy. Then she can't say your always buying drum stuff for yourself

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dabdrums View Post
    Bish, you should have bought a ring and taped it to the top of the snare she would have taken the ring for herself then she would have said I don't want this drum then you could have said that's alright honey, I'll take the drum off of your hands. lol,... If I'm going to get something for myself I usually get the wife something also to keep her happy. Then she can't say your always buying drum stuff for yourself
    You mean like a REMO dead ring-er, right?

Awesome. Taking notes!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tama or Gretsch???? (update)

Thanks to everyone for the replies and great info. Before I update you all on what drum kit I went with, here's a little history on how it transpired. I started researching drum kits a few months ago on various websites and then started looking for used kits on my local (Denver) craigs list. I kept coming across multiple listings on craigs list from the "Lodo Drum Guy". So I decided to contact him and see what he had. I ended up giving him a budget and he put together a used kit that he thought would be right for me and my daughters needs, and below is what I ended up with:

5 pc Pearl Vision VSX in Strata Black (like new condition)
    Sensitone Snare
    10" & 12" Rack Toms
    16" Floor Tom
    22" Kick

Zildjian Custom A Cymbals
    13" HH's
    10" Splash
    15" Fast Crash
    18" Projection Crash
    20" Ride

Pearl Icon Rack and Pedals

The reason I didn't go with the Tama Superstar Hyper Drives was that none of the toms had any bottom rings or heads and all the rims were powder coated and the reason I didn't go with the Gretsch kit was that it had an 8" tom, which I didn't care for and it wasn't in very good condition.

Big Thanks to Lodo Drum Guy for all the help!

Happy Holiday to All!!!

*Sorry Madd Dingo, but the Forum Rules prohibit links to retailers (commercial links). - PB*