Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading whole kit (incl. cymbals)

User Info Menu

Default Upgrading whole kit (incl. cymbals)

So yea as title says I'm planning on upgrading my whole setup, as my current kit is, to be honest, pretty crap. I would consider myself an intermediate player, what would you guys consider getting??? I will try out some kits in local music shops but would like some advice on what kit/cymbals to get. Also, my budget on cymbals is around $800-$900 NZD and the kit doesn't really matter as long as it isn't too expensive :P

Thanks in advance!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Upgrading whole kit (incl. cymbals)

You might want to start by telling us what you're playing now.

And welcome to DrumChat Tim. Love your user name!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    You might want to start by telling us what you're playing now.

And welcome to DrumChat Tim. Love your user name!
    Agreed, welcome to the boards!

What is your budget for shells? Hardware included?

I'm positive you'll get some great responses from the guys around here...but help us narrow it down for ya.

And what kind of cymbal set up are you going for? That kind of cash can be a lot...or like, 2 cymbals haha.
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

What kind of music do you play?

User Info Menu

Thanks drummer and RHD03 :D and I just realised i forgot what genres lol But yea I prefer Rock and Metal but I would love to get a kit that is sort of an all rounder as I love playing Funk etc. aswell. I realised that about the cymbals after looking, at the moment I pretty much want the standard : 14" hats, 16" crash and 20" ride. Was looking at Sabian B8 pro's but I have heard some pretty bad things about them :/ and for the actual shells and stuff it didn't really matter because I was gonna get it on a weekly layby thing (I dont mind paying the extra $300-ish my kit is that bad :P). I was looking at this :

SONOR ESSENTIAL FORCE STAGE1 5PC GREEN FADE WITH HARDWARE

But yea like I said would like some advice
    Thanks for the replies :D

*Sorry Timbuktooth, but the Forum Rules do not allow links to retailers (commercial links), so I gave the description instead. - PB*

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat Timbuktooth!

TBT, since you are a New Zealander, and since it might be too expensive for some kits to be shipped into your country, maybe you can give us some ideas about what might be available to you - both new and used. For instance, I can get a 6 piece Gretsch Catalina Maple kit for $699 US (just saw it today), but I believe finding a Gretsch kit in your part of the world is pretty tough. I would recommend this kit as a very good intermediate kit, but it would make no sense to recommend it if you can't get it.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Ok, now we are talkin. So, if you know what size, and configuration of cymbals you want, now you just need to go and play on a few in those sizes and trust your gut on what you like the best. And yeah, if you can afford it I would stay away from B8s.

As far as the kit...from what I've seen they go for between 1000-1500? If that's the case then there's a ton of great options out there. Sonors are great drums, but don't forget to look at Pearl, Gretsch, Tama, etc... In that same price range. If you go used, you can get a really great kit for about a grand.

I've always said, with good drum heads and tuning, you can make just about any drum sound decent, but threre isn't really anything you can do for a cymbal...so buy good ones.

So, after you narrow your kit search down a bit, I suggest going to sit on a few of them before you make a decision...I can't tell you exactly what to buy, but we are here to at least point you in the right direction.

Good luck.

Click for Gear Pics!

User Info Menu

But i am a lil bias

Last edited by cc1918; 01-06-2014 at 07:20 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Welcome to Drum Chat Timbuktooth!

TBT, since you are a New Zealander, and since it might be too expensive for some kits to be shipped into your country
    Good point PB. That might make it difficult for sure on some manufacturers.

Click for Gear Pics!

User Info Menu

Do a search on Yamaha stage custom, youd be hard pressed to find anything bad about this set. Its what I play and I am Very Happy, think one could be had for around 700.00 us dollars?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RHD03 View Post
    Ok, now we are talkin. So, if you know what size, and configuration of cymbals you want, now you just need to go and play on a few in those sizes and trust your gut on what you like the best. And yeah, if you can afford it I would stay away from B8s.

As far as the kit...from what I've seen they go for between 1000-1500? If that's the case then there's a ton of great options out there. Sonors are great drums, but don't forget to look at Pearl, Gretsch, Tama, etc... In that same price range. If you go used, you can get a really great kit for about a grand.

I've always said, with good drum heads and tuning, you can make just about any drum sound decent, but threre isn't really anything you can do for a cymbal...so buy good ones.

So, after you narrow your kit search down a bit, I suggest going to sit on a few of them before you make a decision...I can't tell you exactly what to buy, but we are here to at least point you in the right direction.

Good luck.
    This! Pretty much any mid level kit from the name brand manufacturers is going to be solid, it will just boil down to budget and your personal taste.

If you are on a limited budget in terms of cymbals, Sabian XS20 are a good budget cymbal line. Way better than B8's or any of the cheaper Zildjian lines that I've played. You can also look at a cheaper brand like Dream if they sell them in NZ. We have members from NZ here on DrumChat, so hopefully some of them will chime in with what's available/pricing.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Look at Sabian XS20's for cymbals. Reasonably priced and really durable. I have had mine for over 3 years and they are holding up great and have a good sound also.
    1976 Tama Imperialstar Saturn 12+1 Platina6,8,10,12,13,14,15,16 concert toms, 16, 18 floor toms, 2-22x18 Bass drums.
    1971 5x14 Ludwig acrolite snare
    Tama metalworks snare 13x6
    DW collectors Maple Blue Glass7x8, 8x10, 9x12 rack toms, 11x14, 13x16 hanging toms, 18x23 bass, 8 and 12 timbale toms, 5.5x10 Ten and Six All Maple snare, 5.5x14 Supersolid snare, DW 9000 rack system, DW 5002 Double bass pedal, DW 5000 Hi-Hat stand, DW 9000 Snare stand.
    Sabian Xs20 cymbals: 16 & 18 crash, 20 ride, 14 hats, 8 splash, 18 china.
    Zildjian cymbals: 21 ride, 15 hats. All '70's era.

User Info Menu

Okay thanks everyone for your help :D I will take a look around the music shop in my town again soon. I had a look at a couple of Yamaha stage custom kits but even the second hand ones in NZ are $2000-$2500-ish, so I'll try out some other kits, although it does look nice :P

User Info Menu

Also had a look at the XS20 cymbals and they sound nice and I can get a cymbal kit with the Ride Crash and Hats in the right size for $830 new, so I think I may go with them. Thanks for telling me

User Info Menu

I have a 7 pc gretsch catalina maple set. It's a good intermediate kit, for cymbals bounce around the internet to cymbal companies and the internet to listen to cymbals and decide what you want

User Info Menu

There is a Gretsch Catalina at my local store and it's a 7pc from the sounds of things pretty similar to yours (it is maple aswell), so thanks I'll give it a try

User Info Menu

With you being in NZ (across The Ditch from us Aussie brethren) you could perhaps pick the brains of xWeasel....he'd could have a clearer idea of what the second hand kit market is like over there better than any of us. From what I gather though, it still is a little pricey for you guys.

You were saying you could spend $800-900 NZD for cymbals....what would be the price of say a Sabian XS20 Rock Performance cymbal pack, which would have a pair of 14" hi-hats, 16" crash and a 20" ride? If you're prepared to pay more, maybe the complete set version, which apart from the ride and hi-hats, has two crashes (16" & 18"), a 10" splash and an 18" china? Also, Paiste do a few good ranges for the budget-conscious, one popular one being the Paiste Alpha pack....check with your local stores, but from what I've seen here, those ones have the usual 14" h-hat/16" crash/20" ride configuration but the also throw in a free 14" crash. If the NZ dollar jacks the cost of this up for you though, a very close second is the Paiste PST 8 Rock or the similar Universal set, agin with the usual 14/16/20. If you get one of those and your friendly with the staff of whatever drum shop you deal with, ask if they can do you a deal for another PST 8 crash discounted together with the cymbal pack.....you may be surprised by what they could do. Even the PST5 series is made out of the same grade of bronze and they're certainly a step up from the pie-plate sounding stock cymbals that I presume came with your set.
    Last edited by Drumbledore; 01-07-2014 at 03:03 AM.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

@Drumbledore I looked at the Sabian XS20's and decided i probably would get them because they sound/look nice and I can get the cymbals I want to start with for $830 new (NZD) After a while I was planning on getting 14" hats 20" ride 16" light crash 16" medium crash 18" crash 18" china and a 10" splash but there is only the pack with the crash/hats/ride and the the china and the same crash on it's own so I will (unless I can get them second hand off the likes of Trademe or pay a bit more for shipping and get them from ebay) get different brands if I have to. Thanks for advice

User Info Menu

I work for a music store and love our Yamaha kits. I am definitely a big fan and play a Yamaha Maple Custom myself.

I'm also bias for Sabian cymbals. I love the XS cymbals. I think you should look into those. The are great for rock and metal yet are calm enough to hold up to light stuff also.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuktooth View Post
    Also had a look at the XS20 cymbals and they sound nice and I can get a cymbal kit with the Ride Crash and Hats in the right size for $830 new, so I think I may go with them. Thanks for telling me
    Your welcome. You will not be disappointed. As I said, I have had mine for 3+ years and I play very hard. These have held up very nice for me. I bought the cymbal pack and all of these sound good. The splash and china are really nice as well as the hats and crashes. I use the ride as a crash, but only because I have an old Zildjian ride that I love! Good luck on the rest of the hunt.
    1976 Tama Imperialstar Saturn 12+1 Platina6,8,10,12,13,14,15,16 concert toms, 16, 18 floor toms, 2-22x18 Bass drums.
    1971 5x14 Ludwig acrolite snare
    Tama metalworks snare 13x6
    DW collectors Maple Blue Glass7x8, 8x10, 9x12 rack toms, 11x14, 13x16 hanging toms, 18x23 bass, 8 and 12 timbale toms, 5.5x10 Ten and Six All Maple snare, 5.5x14 Supersolid snare, DW 9000 rack system, DW 5002 Double bass pedal, DW 5000 Hi-Hat stand, DW 9000 Snare stand.
    Sabian Xs20 cymbals: 16 & 18 crash, 20 ride, 14 hats, 8 splash, 18 china.
    Zildjian cymbals: 21 ride, 15 hats. All '70's era.

User Info Menu

You'd probably be well served to familiarize yourself with your local used market. Find good prices on quality used gear and gradually build up your set up. It's tempting to try to upgrade everything at once, but you'll probably be happier in the long run if you pick up a nice piece here and a nice piece there.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cc1918 View Post
    Do a search on Yamaha stage custom, youd be hard pressed to find anything bad about this set. Its what I play and I am Very Happy, think one could be had for around 700.00 us dollars?
    This, I just upgraded from Ludwig Accent to this and it's sounds so much better to me. It also looks ten times better with stained finish.
    Acoustic Drums: Yamaha Stage Custom standard Cranberry Red 10, 12, 13, 16, 22, 5X14 Stainless Yamaha snare
    Cymbals: Paiste 502 14" HH, 16" Crash, Paiste 802 16" crash and 20" Ride, 1, Paiste 404 18" crash, Paiste PST7 hi hats and 20" Ride. Paiste 8" and 10" splashes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by davidenorth View Post
    This, I just upgraded from Ludwig Accent to this and it's sounds so much better to me. It also looks ten times better with stained finish.
    Congrats on the upgrade. Did you get the all Birch shells? its really a heck of a deal and great sounding kit,

User Info Menu

for a all-round kit i would suggest a dw maple mahogony if you are looking at a pro level kit. for cymbals for sabian because i like them better i would suggest something in aa, aax, hh, hhx
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    You'd probably be well served to familiarize yourself with your local used market. Find good prices on quality used gear and gradually build up your set up. It's tempting to try to upgrade everything at once, but you'll probably be happier in the long run if you pick up a nice piece here and a nice piece there.
    I AGREE so much that is what i am doing set aside money every week for a drum set and little for cymbals and hardware i plan on having a full kit by the end of the year i think patience is the best i am in same situation as you but i have found that just waiting is the best and not buy cheap stuff buy the stuff you want
    Sabian!!!