Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $100 for a snare. Acrolite or Pork Pie?

User Info Menu

Default $100 for a snare. Acrolite or Pork Pie?

Alright, I'm looking to get a new snare and I'm. It looking to spend that much. I have a 4 pc. Mapex Meridian maple kit. Currently playing in a garage band, with influences from The Sonics, and The Stooges, to The Black Lips, and The Dead Weather. Currently, I've been borrowing my buddy's Black Galaxy Acrolite and it sounds great. I really like it, and I can pickup a used, even vintage one for right around $100. But I can also pickup a Pork Pie Vented Maple 13x7 snare for $100 as well. I haven't played this Pork Pie personally but I have played others and really liked them, and another friend of mine has that pork pie and likes it a lot, but he plays for metal/core music, which I really have no interest in. So my question is, overall, what's best for me? I know they're two completely different snares, one aluminum and one maple, but still curious. My only concern is that the Pork Pie might be too loud to use when I'm playing a little quieter by myself, other than that, I'm right in the middle of the two.

User Info Menu

Default Re: $100 for a snare. Acrolite or Pork Pie?

Both are decent options. I've heard the PP once. Good sounding snare. And I have an Acro. I would say that the Ludwig may go better with the kind of music you're playing, it just has that warm, classic sound to it.

Let us know what you decide.
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

I'd go with the acro.........................great solid, versatile and reasonable snare.

User Info Menu

Muddywaters, I don't think you could really go wrong either way. I have a late '70's Acrolyte snare that I bought used, and it's a very good all around snare, and it will cut through the mix well. Although I don't have the Pork Pie snare, I would say that you'll get a nice fat sound out of that snare, and it should project well, too. I do have a 13x6 Mapex Black Panther Cherry/Maple snare, and I had one drummer tell me that he likes it's sound the best. So if you're thinking the 13" might be an issue, don't worry about it at all.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    i'd go with the acro.........................great solid, versatile and reasonable snare.
    +1

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

+1 for Acrolite!

If you are located in the US you can find them on Craigslist for under $100, with case and stand, frequently.

User Info Menu

id go with the acro, its an absolute classic with an appropriate sound for most types of music. also vented snares do tend to be loud. that said I do like pp snares, just not sure about venting.
    don't put off till tomorrow what you can put off today

User Info Menu

I'm currently leaning more towards the pork pie. Had my second practice with my band win this snare today and it's just not cutting through as much as I'd like. We are pretty loud,an d it was in a pretty small space today, but on certain songs, it just wasn't cutting it enough for me. At gigs it would be mic'ed though, so that's not a total issue. Still debating and not in a huge rush. Also, if anyone has any suggestions on other snares that would be great. I'd be willing to spend more, and I always prefer to buy used. Get more bang for your buck

User Info Menu

If money is no issue, then skies the limit...go with a Ludwig Black Beauty then

Click for Gear Pics!

User Info Menu

Haha I wish, but I'd like to be able to make my other monthly payments, and not have the bank after me

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Muddywaters View Post
    Haha I wish, but I'd like to be able to make my other monthly payments, and not have the bank after me
    Oh yeah I was just jokin. But the important thing here is that you go with your gut on whatever you decide.

Click for Gear Pics!

User Info Menu

I wouldn't discourage you either way. Both are good snares. I actually prefer the non vented version of the Pork Pie. Vented snares do tend to be drier.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Also now looking at used patina's. I really like their sound, and if I could find a used one for a good price, that'd be awesome. Also, this would be my main snare. Not looking for something for just a certain song, or just a certain sound. This will be used on my kit 100% of the time for a while

User Info Menu

Get the acro and put an Aquarian Hi-energy on it, I had the same combo and it was loud, Acros can be loud and cut with the right heads wires. if your on a budget check out the Ludwig Supralites as well. 7 x 13 is a pretty nice size, especially in a brass snare.
    Last edited by zarrdoss; 01-07-2014 at 10:27 PM.

User Info Menu

Ill never understand taking a perfectly good shell and cutting massive holes in it. Go for the Acro

User Info Menu

I find vented snares to be too dry, I don't think thats the sound you want.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

And they dont project well at all.

User Info Menu

I have a 1968 Acrolite, and a Pork Pie 13x7 Vented.

Both are great snares. And for the money they both surpass the dollar in sound.

But for the type of music you listed I would get the Acrolite, it has a "rounder" and more garage band kind of sound. The Pork Pie has a nice body to it but it is dry and tighter sounding, making it a great side snare, metal snare, or small venue snare.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

I find old classic metal snares when tuned right, sing out well whether you're playing light, moderately or loud. Out of those two, the Acrolite is time-tried and true, I love the sound of them as well. Mind you I'm pretty open to all manner of snares, whether old and classic or brand-spanking-new....it's always good to try and experiment. The trick is to find the right sound for the right music. We can always suggest our personal faves, but ultimately it's really what your gut feeling is.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

^ This. I have a soft spot for metal snares because of their versatility and their ease of tuning.
    Pdp LXE | Pearl ELX Export

'Give me your fingernails, oh look, the moon' - Todd Sucherman.

User Info Menu

Everyone seems to be leaning more towards the acrolite which isn't shocking. I've been playing it, and it sounds real good but like I said, in practice it just wasn't cutting through as well as I would have liked it too. Anyone any thoughts on the Patina? Just trying to look all around before I settle on one

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Ill never understand taking a perfectly good shell and cutting massive holes in it. Go for the Acro
    It isn't one of those ones with the huge holes. It just has tons of regular sized vent hole gromets in it.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Not tohttp://i551.photobucket.com/albums/ii452/bluecynder/Emoticons/Beating_A_Dead_Horse.gif

but... Acrolite.
    Steve
    "When I can match Buddy Rich, lick for lick, I will get a rack."
    Ludwig Super Classic

User Info Menu

I love both of my PorkPie snare drums!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    It isn't one of those ones with the huge holes. It just has tons of regular sized vent hole gromets in it.
    Many people worry about cutting a single hole 1 1/8" hole in a 22X18 kick, why is it ok to drill a bunch of holes in a snare?