Thread: Playing drums with back pain

User Info Menu

Default Playing drums with back pain

Hello everyone,

Because there are no other drummers in our church of about 500 people (or there are no other drummers that want to put up with our rehearsal schedule), I'm having to "play through the pain" yet again. I've played with a sprained ankle, a wisdom tooth coming in, dry socket, colds/the flu, etc.

This time, it's back pain, but it's lasted longer than any other pain I've ever been in. I've been hurting since mid-October, and I've gone to the chiropractor for 5 sessions. He said my back is ok now; however, the healing process for the muscles could take anywhere from 2-6 weeks to heal (i'm getting my first massage tomorrow to try to "work out" the muscles). I'm getting a little better each day, but I'm having to play through it at church. And it sucks.

Anyone else ever had to "play through the pain?"

User Info Menu

Default Re: Playing drums with back pain

Every time I play! Had back surgery back in '03 and now have two rods in my back. The best advise I can give you is to stretch. Drumming is a workout and you need to stretch. Now if I would just take my own advise!
    1976 Tama Imperialstar Saturn 12+1 Platina6,8,10,12,13,14,15,16 concert toms, 16, 18 floor toms, 2-22x18 Bass drums.
    1971 5x14 Ludwig acrolite snare
    Tama metalworks snare 13x6
    DW collectors Maple Blue Glass7x8, 8x10, 9x12 rack toms, 11x14, 13x16 hanging toms, 18x23 bass, 8 and 12 timbale toms, 5.5x10 Ten and Six All Maple snare, 5.5x14 Supersolid snare, DW 9000 rack system, DW 5002 Double bass pedal, DW 5000 Hi-Hat stand, DW 9000 Snare stand.
    Sabian Xs20 cymbals: 16 & 18 crash, 20 ride, 14 hats, 8 splash, 18 china.
    Zildjian cymbals: 21 ride, 15 hats. All '70's era.

User Info Menu

For me it's a Fist Full of Advil and Gett'er Done!

I broke my back, neck, arm, knee, and leg up all at once a few years ago. I was a mess...

User Info Menu

I'll second the advil. Just make sure you eat while you're taking it as it's tough on the lining of your stomach.

I had a severe injury a couple of years ago and was in excruciating pain. It was hard to sit or stand. I couldn't play for some time. When I did start playing again, it was challenging to say the least. I had to take prescribed Advil which was very strong.

User Info Menu

About a year ago I was experiencing pain. Band members would look at me funny when I took aspirin or acetaminophen in between songs. They knew I was hurting. Eventually I healed and the pain disappeared.

User Info Menu

I can say I have and it can't imagine how bad it could be playing with a bad back.

I recently set my kit up (based on a thread in another forum), from a professional drummer and instructor. The tips suggested where all arrived by using the knowledge of several PHD Physical Therapists Physiology, Kinestetics, and Anatomy.

I'm not sure what the linking rules are so I'm not linking to it, but that advice did help me in fluidity & ease when moving around the kit, posture, reducing muscle stress, (and probably more that I'm not conscious of).

Acoustic & Electronic:
    Pearl Prestige World Series WLX 1988
    Tama Swingstar 1983
    Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive (Birch) 2007
    Ludwig Acrolite Snare 1976
    Ludwig Supraphonic 6.5x14" 2021
    Pearl Sensitone Elite Aluminum 5.5" and 6.5" Snare
    Pearl COB Custom Deluxe [Gladstone] (75-76) Snare
    Love Drum Co. Hammered Steel 5.5" Snare
    Roland TD-1KV

Paiste
    Accent 8"

Paiste Signature:
    6", 10" Splash
    14" Dark Crisp Hi-Hats
    14" Sound Edge Hi-Hats
    16", 17", 18",19", 20" Full Crash
    22" Symphonic Med-Heavy (use as a Ride)

Paiste Formula 602:
    22" Formula 602 Modern Essentials Ride

Paiste 2oo2:
    22" Ride
    16" Crash
    8",10" Splash

Paiste 2oo2 Big Beat:
    15" Hi-Hats
    19", 20", 21" Big Beat Multifunctional

Paiste Sound Formula:
    16" Crash
    20" Full Ride (Frankenstein)

Paiste Twenty:
    16" China

Paiste Alpha (original Swiss made):
    12" Splash

Paiste PST7:
    Medium
    16", 18" Crash
    20" Ride
    14" Hi-Hats

Sabian:
    XS20 18" China
    AA 14" Fusion Hi-Hats

User Info Menu

I have scoliosis... Some days it's unbearable pain.. I know your feeling man..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EyePea View Post
    I can say I have and it can't imagine how bad it could be playing with a bad back.

I recently set my kit up (based on a thread in another forum), from a professional drummer and instructor. The tips suggested where all arrived by using the knowledge of several PHD Physical Therapists Physiology, Kinestetics, and Anatomy.

I'm not sure what the linking rules are so I'm not linking to it, but that advice did help me in fluidity & ease when moving around the kit, posture, reducing muscle stress, (and probably more that I'm not conscious of).
    I would LOVE a link. Can you shoot it in a PM to me? I'm always really interested in how others set up their kits.

User Info Menu

How about Oxycontin?

all the best...

User Info Menu

Sorry for your pain. In Colorado we have cookies and brownies that could help.
    Steve
    "When I can match Buddy Rich, lick for lick, I will get a rack."
    Ludwig Super Classic

Kyle47BC Guest

Quote Originally Posted by porkpieguy View Post
    Hello everyone,

Because there are no other drummers in our church of about 500 people (or there are no other drummers that want to put up with our rehearsal schedule), I'm having to "play through the pain" yet again. I've played with a sprained ankle, a wisdom tooth coming in, dry socket, colds/the flu, etc.

This time, it's back pain, but it's lasted longer than any other pain I've ever been in. I've been hurting since mid-October, and I've gone to the chiropractor for 5 sessions. He said my back is ok now; however, the healing process for the muscles could take anywhere from 2-6 weeks to heal (i'm getting my first massage tomorrow to try to "work out" the muscles). I'm getting a little better each day, but I'm having to play through it at church. And it sucks.

Anyone else ever had to "play through the pain?"
    Hey, with rest it will get better. Make sure to get any inflammation or swelling down with cold compression. Just let your body do the work by giving it optimal blood flow and avoid reaggravations. I use a blood flow stimulator (BFST) to speed up this process. I have terrible wrists but with they are a lot better lately.

User Info Menu

I've played through two sprained knees to where I couldn't get on or off the stage riser. I've gigged with cracked ribs.
    I've had to endure a night with a looming kidney stone.
    Once I had to play after breaking a stick. That was the worst.

yeah, not much that can't be toughed out.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I've played with a bad back since being hit by what was probably part of a tree in '69.

User Info Menu

You guys should consider yoga or taichi.