Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does anyone have to cover their drums for sun (and dust) protection?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Does anyone have to cover their drums for sun (and dust) protection?

Quote Originally Posted by signia fan View Post
    When I was on the road I had an old backdrop and used it to cover the whole stage set up, drums, amps, everything. It was more for theft deterrent. Used to do 6-7 nights a week, and this was usually Mon-Wed in one club, Thurs-Sat in another, so during the day people would be sitting in the bar drinking. Taking away the visual temptation was the goal. If some drunk guy was sitting eying all the stage gear, the thought of grabbing something small and hitting the closest exit was diminished if he could not see what was there. Out of sight, out of mind.
    I always figured if I ever got a small trailer to haul band equipment, I would never paint the name of the band on the trailer. It's like putting up a sign that says "unattended expensive musical equipment inside". If you leave it blank, it looks like a contractor trailer full of tools. I would make the trailer look as beat up as I could, and paint something like "Larry's Roadkill Carcass Disposal Service". No one would EVER try to break into it. You'd be safe....depending on where the gig is, LOL.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Default Re: Does anyone have to cover their drums for sun (and dust) protection?

Yes I agree with you there too. It makes me laugh when I see bands and even DJ services do that. My sign would have been Angry Igor, fresh fish services.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

I haven't bothered covering my kit up. I've had the same kit for 15 years and it started out with a white wrap. Now the white definetly has changed to beige. It actually makes my kit look vintage. Even if I got a new kit I wouldn't care to cover it or worry about moving it away from the sun. Our drum kits looks sooo good in bright sunshine and without covering them. Let em shine and be seen!

User Info Menu

I'm not sure a V-kit would look so good with the same "aged" effect! Probably just greyish on one side ...