Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drum Cases

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum Cases

Musical gear is expensive. I will never understand why someone spends so much money on a gear and then won't spend a few more bucks to protect it.

My drums NEVER transport without hard cases and my basses never leave the house without a hardshell case. Same for my amp. Never spend a day outside of a rack.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    Musical gear is expensive. I will never understand why someone spends so much money on a gear and then won't spend a few more bucks to protect it.

My drums NEVER transport without hard cases and my basses never leave the house without a hardshell case. Same for my amp. Never spend a day outside of a rack.
    And you can tell that from the picture of your kit. No dings and dents and your hardware and cymbals sparkle.

blue

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bluewine View Post
    And you can tell that from the picture of your kit. No dings and dents and your hardware and cymbals sparkle.

blue
    Thanks Blue, I take pride in they way my things look and the way I present myself. My drums aren't without their dings, but I keep them clean and looking good.

As I do with my home, my car, my guitars, etc. I pay good money for my things and I take care of them.

User Info Menu

Thanks Blue, I take pride in they way my things look and the way I present myself. My drums aren't without their dings, but I keep them clean and looking good.

As I do with my home, my car, my guitars, etc. I pay good money for my things and I take care of them.
    Yeah, a few years ago I found myself in the position to buy any type of gear I wanted.

I invested in gear I had previously only dreamed of owning.I don't take my gear for granted. Like you, protection and maintenance of my gear is the way I do it.

blue

User Info Menu

You're smart Mark!

User Info Menu

I just want to add that it's VERY possible to avoid nicks, dents, dings, etc... without using soft or hard cases. I've been using blankets to "bag" my Ludwigs when I move them to and from gigs for the last three months. And if you pack everything carefully and take time to position everything in your vehicle then it's very easy to avoid any damage. I do have bags, but I like to cut down on set up and tear down times.

Now that I think about it, I'm willing to bet the comforters I use have more padding than my bags. :P
    Drums:
    Ludwig Classic Maple
    Tama Starclassic Performer

Cymbals:
    20" K ride
    20" K custom dry ride
    16" A custom crash
    14" New Beat hats
    14" K custom dark crash
    Ensembles
    Oregon Crusaders (DCI) 09 - bass 4
    OC Indoor (WGI) '10 - Snare 3rd place PIO
    OC Indoor (WGI) '11 - Snare PIW FINALIST!
    University of Oregon marching band '09 '10 '11 - Snare

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Not to stray off topic, but what bands have you been involved with? I didn't see anything in your profile. Is there any kind of a "who's who" thread that highlights the careers or talents of our members? I know we have some awesome drummers on here, and I would really love to know more about them.
    I've always just kind of remained anonymous in here. When Drum Bum asked me to do this, the one prerequisite was that I was able to keep my privacy and they were OK with that.

As for a Who's Who thread, I'm not sure if there is something like that other than their individual profiles.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    You're smart Mark!
    I just like to take care of my things, Tom. The bass player in my band is buying my Jeep because, to quote him, I'm "a lunatic about taking care of my stuff".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I've always just kind of remained anonymous in here. When Drum Bum asked me to do this, the one prerequisite was that I was able to keep my privacy and they were OK with that.

As for a Who's Who thread, I'm not sure if there is something like that other than their individual profiles.
    Fair enough. I had to ask. I can understand why. I will just assume that you are "reasonably" talented....do I need to keep my eyes out for flat black helicopters operating in stealth mode and guys in black suits wearing sunglasses now?
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bluewine View Post
    Yes, and that's why I'm here. As a bass player I think there is a lot I can learn from you guys.

blue
    Really? Because so far, every thread and 99% of your posts has been you slamming drummers who dont follow your approved methods.

User Info Menu

Here my 2 pence...

Yes cases make you look professional, and often make load in/out easier, and protect your gear, but depending how good your stuff is depends on there worth, and your financial ability to...

BUT

if two drummers were to play a gig; one played a mint condition all cased professional kit, but wasn't very good, and one turned up with his kit without cases, but played brilliantly- i know which i'd remember and want to see again!

Essentially; yes cases look good, but there's endless reasons for having/not having them- have you thought about asking the drummer mentioned to see why he doesn't? Might just have a good reason
    Its not what your playing, its what your playing

User Info Menu

Another advantage that I could accept, especially with hard cases, would be prevention of unintended serious damage. I imagine if you were gigging several times per week and travelling some distances, the potential would exist for serious damage....the kind that could effect your ability to perform a gig on schedule. A friend of mine had a vintage Gretch kit, and no cases. He had a small pickup with a topper and had carpet in the back. He loaded up after a gig and left them locked up in his truck over night. Before he had a chance to unload them the next day, he drove out to run some errands and got in a wreck. It seriously damaged several of the shells and it took him almost a month to get them fixed replaced. Maybe hard cases wouldn't have prevented all the damage, but even if would have kept them playable it would have been a huge benefit to the entire band.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I'm going to go ahead and close this thread now. Blue, I haven't meant any disrespect. Hopefully you got some different opinions and felt it was helpful. I appreciate your presence here regardless of disagreement on some things.