Thread: Scored a Speed King for $25

User Info Menu

Default Scored a Speed King for $25

I went to the local used store to look for a back-up kick pedal. I was looking for a DW or Cobra, but most of the pedals they had were double. Pushed back behind all the other pedals, I spotted the unmistakable foot board of an old vintage Speed King. I dug it out and looked it over closely. The spring action was very "lively" and all the hinges, pins and linkage were still pretty tight, with hardly ANY wobble or play. I hooked it up to a bass drum and took it for a triplet test drive. It felt solid, smooth and responsive.....and it was quiet! (Who would have expected that?).

Sooooo.....for $25, I took it home! It works so nice, I don't have to mess with the springs and bearing. Someone must have already worked on it. I did have to straighten the base plate slightly. I plan on cleaning it up and probably installing nylon bushings at all the hinge pins. I tried hooking it up to my Premier bass drum, but it won't connect properly to the narrow steel hoops without the lever arm hitting the batter head. I guess I either need a wide wooden batter hoop or figure out some way to make it work. Im open to suggestions...

-Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Default Re: Scored a Speed King for $25

Great find. It looks pretty clean to have only paid $25.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Very very nice Great pedal

User Info Menu

Great deal!
    "I don’t think a drummer should have to show off to get noticed. You’re like the conductor of a train. You keep the train on the tracks – let everybody else worry about everything else.” -Nathan Followill.

Grear List
    Cymbals: Zildjian K
    15" Light Hi Hats
    14" Hi Hats
    18" Dark Thin Crash
    19" Dark Thin Crash
    22" Light Ride
    Drum Kit: Gretsch Catalina Maple
    12/14/20
    Snare: Ludwig
    Epic 14"x5.5 Soon to be upgraded.

Keep the Peace!

User Info Menu

Are these pedals collectable? One sold a couple of days ago on eBay for about £12, I didn't even consider it - the description just stated single pedal for sale.

User Info Menu

Awesome! I had one eons ago. Don't like it anymore.

User Info Menu

N2,
    You probably have the old, deep, Ludwig hoop version. See my post #693
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ing#post514312

you need to put two small blocks on your base plate to keep it from going too deep onto your shallower hoop. I super glued old pink "Pearl" eraser cubes onto the "forks."
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crispycritters View Post
    Are these pedals collectable? One sold a couple of days ago on eBay for about £12, I didn't even consider it - the description just stated single pedal for sale.
    Kind of....but not really, LOL. They were designed in 1938 and were waaay ahead of their time. John Bonham played a Speed King. Ludwig still makes them (about $120) basically unchanged in terms of design. They have a different "floating" feel to them. Some like them, some don't. Older ones like this are usually pretty worn out, but you can still find good ones for around $70.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Awesome! I had one eons ago. Don't like it anymore.
    I've never really played one, so we'll see how it works for me. I figure for $25, I can have fun with it. Kinda like a vintage car; it's more about the nostalgia and style than the actual performance. It will go good with the old vintage kit I'm putting together from a 28" marching bass. If I really don't like it, I can sell it and get my money back fairly easy. OR, use the footboard as a custom gas pedal on my '62 Galaxie
    If you really don't like yours, you can always ship it to me for free!
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    N2,
    You probably have the old, deep, Ludwig hoop version. See my post #693
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ing#post514312

you need to put two small blocks on your base plate to keep it from going too deep onto your shallower hoop. I super glued old pink "Pearl" eraser cubes onto the "forks."
    Yes, you hit the nail on the head. I hate to say it, but I'm really thinking about just fabricating my own solid base plate, cut the forks off, bolt the "goal posts" of the SK to the new base plate and then use the modern clamp bracket off an old Tama pedal I have laying around. Before I do that, I'll try and use a spacer like you suggest.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

IMO Speed Kings are still better than anything else for the heel down players, just need better base plates! I can run circles around my Speed Cobras with either of my old Kings!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT

User Info Menu

Then I may be in trouble, cause I play heel-up, LOL. My legs are too long, I guess. if I sit back far enough that I can play heel-down, then my arms are too short. I don't know for sure, but I read that Bonham played heel-up (?).
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Not saying you can't play heel up, just that Speed Kings are not long boards, so some long board techniques don't work well.

User Info Menu

Love my Speed kings.
    You can also use a washer and screw to hold up the small heal plate.
    “I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.”

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    Not saying you can't play heel up, just that Speed Kings are not long boards, so some long board techniques don't work well.
    Ahh, OK. Now I see why. I might be OK then, since I have no technique
    -Brian

User Info Menu

A cheap fix for the pedal clamp and your drum hoop situation: I took a 1/4 piece of solid wood ( 1/4" high and 1/4" - 1/2" wide and roughly 3" long ), tested it to make sure it provided enough spacing to clamp securely without the Yoke hitting the drum head and once I got the width right as well as the length, I glued it under the Ludwig Speed Kings hoop clamp. Sometimes the glue would give way so I always checked it when setting up and tearing down. Its a bit inconvenient but its a cheap fix and one that isnt expensive to replace.
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

Speed King has a special,(or different) feel, depending on your point of view. I have always liked the direct drive over a chain or belt. One of the main reasons that they last so long is that the springs compress while pushing down on the foot board.

Great buy at $25.00. I would take the springs out and clean the old lube off of them and re-grease. Maybe even remove the grease caps on the sides and repack the bearings.

The reason I prefer the vintage Speed King is that the newer ones use plastic bearings instead of steel.

"You can never legislate stupidity, because there is no power in this world that can prevent it."-My Dad after watching his golf partner trying to hit a ball through a grove of trees.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Great score Brian! So what's the little flippy heel part thingy for again?

I have my Ludwig double bass kit I've been talking about putting together soon and have no matching pedals yet and think I'm gonna go with a set of the new version of the Ludwig Speed King pedals when I do.

And I do like my clear peanut butter and jelly filled Even's 360 heads on my Tama kit but I think I'll get a full set of the Even's white drum heads a try on this kit.

I can't hardly wait to get this kit dug out of my poor storage arrangement, set up the drum rack and play them.

Last edited by Ray on the Drums; 04-26-2014 at 11:31 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by veafer View Post
    Great buy at $25.00. I would take the springs out and clean the old lube off of them and re-grease. Maybe even remove the grease caps on the sides and repack the bearings.
    I had planned on doing all that, but to be honest, this thing works like new. If you unhook the foot board and flick the beater, it will bounce back and forth for a very long time. VERY lively action. If it still had the original grease, I'm sure it would be a little sluggish by now (?). I will most likely pop one of the caps off and inspect it, but in pretty sure I won't need to do much.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Still my all time fave pedal.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ray on the Drums View Post
    Great score Brian! So what's the little flippy heel part thingy for again?

I have my Ludwig double bass kit I've been talking about putting together soon and have no matching pedals yet and think I'm gonna go with a set of the new version of the Ludwig Speed King pedals when I do.

And I do like my clear peanut butter and jelly filled Even's 360 heads on my Tama kit but I think I'll get a full set of the Even's white drum heads a try on this kit.

I can't hardly wait to get this kit dug out of my poor storage arrangement, set up the drum rack and play them.

Well, I guess the floppy heel plate is convert to longboard for heel-down(?). I can't see how it really changes much, but I'm the wrong guy to ask, LOL.
    I love those old flat black Ludwig shells! Reminds me of a '50s hot rod. I think you need to have some flames air brushed on them. Or maybe, red & white "scallops" or just the fancy hand painted hot rod pinstripes.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

I hear ya but to me flames on a kit is alot to live up too.

User Info Menu

Maybe...but it's only aesthetics. I think a double bass set up with lots of toms is alot to live up to! I think if you can play a kit like that, you deserve to have it look special!

BTW Ray,
    We have an all day outdoor open mic/multi-band jam scheduled for the end of June. It's free to the public and we take donations for a local charity. We're less than 3hrs north of you, and there's even camping available in the park. Your invited if interested.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Tried out the SK for the first time at practice today. It fits the thicker wood hoops on my Maxwin practice kick alot better. I put a couple thick felt strips against the edge of the hoop to space it back. It worked pretty well....played for 4hrs with no issues....no squeaks either!

I like the feel of the SK, but the the footboard position is a little low (almost flat) when the beater is against the head and the springs are a little on the weak side. I can adjust them stiffer, but I may end up putting shims behind them...just like adjusting the bypass valve on an oil pump. I think I'll also make my own solid link out of a piece of solid nylon. That way, I can make it slightlt shorter and raise the footboard height a little. Should also change the geometry of the "pull" slightly as well.

The only other issue is the removable base. Compared to my Tama, which has a one-piece solid base plate, the bass drum is not nearly as stable with the SK. Playing heel-up causes the goal post assembly to rock, which puts undue torque on the hoop and effects the feel. I have some ideas of how to construct a solid base without altering the original SK design too much.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Check out the "souped up" SKs at drummechannix for repairs and improvements.
    Last edited by slinglander; 05-04-2014 at 05:19 PM. Reason: grammar

User Info Menu

Just an update; I finally tore into the old SK to do some rebuilding with mods. I have some ideas about what I want to do, but we'll see how it works out. I had a few hours this afternoon, so I managed to get it all disassembled and cleaned up. There was one tip that I read on another forum, and it worked so well I wanted to share it;
    To easily remove the bearing caps, just take a torch and slightly heat up the end of the "goal post ". The casting is very light and it expands with heat instantly. Also, the heat melts all the old grease inside. Simply wave a MAP torch over it for a few seconds, turn the casting upside-down and lightly tap it once on the edge of the work bench, and BAM! The bearing caps simply fall out! No muss, no fuss....and no damage to the caps or the casting. The slight heat has no effect on the original paint, and the caps can be re-used. In addition, the heat melts the old hard grease, making cleaning it out super duper easy.
    -Brian