I went to the local used store to look for a back-up kick pedal. I was looking for a DW or Cobra, but most of the pedals they had were double. Pushed back behind all the other pedals, I spotted the unmistakable foot board of an old vintage Speed King. I dug it out and looked it over closely. The spring action was very "lively" and all the hinges, pins and linkage were still pretty tight, with hardly ANY wobble or play. I hooked it up to a bass drum and took it for a triplet test drive. It felt solid, smooth and responsive.....and it was quiet! (Who would have expected that?).

Sooooo.....for $25, I took it home! It works so nice, I don't have to mess with the springs and bearing. Someone must have already worked on it. I did have to straighten the base plate slightly. I plan on cleaning it up and probably installing nylon bushings at all the hinge pins. I tried hooking it up to my Premier bass drum, but it won't connect properly to the narrow steel hoops without the lever arm hitting the batter head. I guess I either need a wide wooden batter hoop or figure out some way to make it work. Im open to suggestions...