Thread: Good all around crash cymbals for recording

User Info Menu

Default Good all around crash cymbals for recording

I know this is a really general question, so my apologies, but do you have recommendations for the best type of crash cymbals to use for recording? Currently I am recording some pretty standard country tracks, but I record many styles except hard rock.

I have a 19" A Custom, 18" K Custom Session, 21" Sweet Ride. I am looking for another 17" or 18" crash for recording purposes mainly. Any suggestions for a good overall crash cymbal for recording? I have some smaller Zildjian A crashes but I'm not thrilled with how they record.

Thanks in advance!
    John

User Info Menu

Default Re: Good all around crash cymbals for recording

Unfortunately I think that question may be impossible to answer! It's all about how the individual cymbal sounds, how you play, how you record, and how you mix!

Everyone has their favorites, but my recommendation is to start listening to songs and noting differences in the way the cymbals sound - are they high and tight, low and washy? Bright? Flat? Long or fast decay? And then, if you can find a few albums where you really love the way the cymbals sound, look up the setup that the drummer normally uses.

While the publicly posted cymbal set-ups for famous drummers are really just examples of set-ups they use occasionally and probably aren't what they used on the song you were listening to, at least it gives you a place to start to try out cymbals and see what you like.

A couple opinions I have that might help:

1. In general, brilliant finish cymbals sound brighter than flat finish cymbals
    2. In general, larger diameter cymbals have a longer decay than smaller diameter cymbals
    3. In general, thicker cymbals have a later peak and are louder than thinner cymbals
    4. Never trust the way a cymbal sounds in the cymbal room at a drum shop. You're surrounded by so much metal in the room they always sound brighter and larger in that room. If you are interested in a particular cymbal, ask if you can take it out into the main room to listen to it not surrounded by other cymbals.
    "Guys, if you wanted Superman for this gig, you should have hired Superman. Instead, you got Batman." - Donny Gruendler

"You always think you have more problems than you actually have." - Dave Elitch

Instagram: @bringerofthud
    Twitter:@davetilove

User Info Menu

DT344 - I really appreciate your response. Like I said, I realized it was a very general question. The basics you laid out are really good. I guess what I was looking for was, are there certain cymbals that you tend to often see used in recording studios. I realize it depends on a lot of things, like you talk about. I was wondering, similar to the common use of some of the Ludwig snares (LM400, black beauty, etc) - are there certain cymbals that tend to get used often in recording.

For the short term, I needed a medium/small sized cymbal to go along with the other ones I have below. I ended up going with another Zildjian Custom A - 17 inch. I went back and forth between that and a Sabian AAX X-plosion 18 inch. I find I am trending toward using larger cymbals these days. My 15 and 16 inch crash cymbals are getting as much use these days.

Thanks again for your response. Any other thoughts? Much appreciated!

John

User Info Menu

Based off of what you have, I think an 18" A Custom Fast Crash would fit perfectly................I love mine

User Info Menu

What is the main difference between the Custom A and the Fast Crash? Is the fast crash just thinner with less resonance/wash? I wonder how close the 17" A Custom is to that sound? The 17" Custom A is showing up on my doorstep tomorrow according to UPS. I wish I lived closer to a decent drum shop...

Thanks for your response!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jfoster_drums View Post
    What is the main difference between the Custom A and the Fast Crash? Is the fast crash just thinner with less resonance/wash? I wonder how close the 17" A Custom is to that sound? The 17" Custom A is showing up on my doorstep tomorrow according to UPS. I wish I lived closer to a decent drum shop...

Thanks for your response!
    The fast crash is thinner.................it's bright and get's out of the way fast............even more than a regular A custom crash

User Info Menu

Gotcha. Thanks.

User Info Menu

A backward glance at music history and I would say that any and all cymbals can be recorded.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    A backward glance at music history and I would say that any and all cymbals can be recorded.

all the best...
    Exactly.

User Info Menu

Right, I understand all cymbals can be recorded and are used in different situations, different styles of music, etc. I was trying to ask especially studio musicians, if there were certain cymbals that they tended to use more often than others. I realize it is a very broad question and depends on the style of music and situation. Sorry about that.

John

User Info Menu

Longgun - I visited a music store. I got it down to either a A Custom 17 or a A custom fast crash 18. I went with the fast crash. Beautiful sounding cymbal! I think this is what I was looking for. Will use it at a gig for first time tonight. Thanks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jfoster_drums View Post
    Longgun - I visited a music store. I got it down to either a A Custom 17 or a A custom fast crash 18. I went with the fast crash. Beautiful sounding cymbal! I think this is what I was looking for. Will use it at a gig for first time tonight. Thanks!
    No problem, glad to help....................hopefully the gig went well

User Info Menu

The gig went very well. You know how this goes when you get a new cymbal - i kept looking for excuses to keep hitting the new cymbal!

Thanks again,
    John