View Poll Results: How often do you use a metronome?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Always

3 7.69%
  • Most of the time

6 15.38%
  • Half of the time

5 12.82%
  • Sometimes

15 38.46%
  • Never

10 25.64%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The proliferation of the metronome

User Info Menu

Default Re: The proliferation of the metronome

If I'm learning a brand new never heard before song only. I'm pretty good at keeping time without any outside help.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

metronome is good for all musicians not only drummers. I know as a singer it is easy to start too early or too late. I believe it to be a practicing and learning tool, but together as a band you should be able to perform well without one. Many of the great players did over the decades. I can't picture Tony Williams and Miles Davis etc... needing one to keep their tempo straight when they were performing!

all the best...

User Info Menu

I use a metronome most of the time I'm learning something new or fooling around on the kit.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

I tooled around with a washing machine as a metronome
    one night and come up with some pretty creative stuff.

User Info Menu

^ Cool, Industrial!
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ray on the Drums View Post
    I tooled around with a washing machine as a metronome
    one night and come up with some pretty creative stuff.
    Throw in a pair of tennis shoes and JAM

User Info Menu

Annoying little things best used as a paperweight, or better still, a hammer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by The_Epsicle View Post
    Awesome stuff guys, I've always been afraid if I started using a metronome it would mess with my ability to keep time without one, that's what I meant by a "handicap". However after reading these responses I might change my practice routine to include a metronome part of the time, seriously loving your responses.
    It's just another tool and skill set man. Learn to play with one. You'll be fine without it.

User Info Menu

I was recently in the studio recording some tracks for a local songwriter. The engineer told me that I was perfect for the job because A), I used fills sparingly, and B) because in his words, I was a click track monster. Now he says he wants to use me for other projects that fit my style. Now don't get me wrong, I don't hold the same opinion of my abilities. I regretfully hear every slight irregularity on play back and it drives me nuts. A naked drum track is very exposed. The only thing I can surmise is that many other drummers he has recorded have not taken the time to develop a familiarity with playing to a click and by comparison, my experience with doing so made a difference.

User Info Menu

What ever happened to the old fashioned hitting your sticks together to start a song?
    “I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.”

User Info Menu

Dammit!!!

I got suckered into an old thread that I already answered in April

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I never use one..... I USUALLY keep a pretty steady beat,.....
    How would you know if you are steady unless you measure it against something?

I have played with a "metronome" for just over 3 years now. It became a necessity because we use backing tracks in my 3 piece.

A couple of observations:

1. It has made playing without one extremely easy.
    2. It has taught me that no one I know is even close to perfect.
    3. Tempos often flow in recorded music +/- 10 BPM without anyone noticing.
    4. It eliminate 100% of the tempo related arguments during rehearsal.
    5. It makes the multi track recording process a whole lot easier when everyone uses the same bench mark.

I also have to assume that it has helped my tempo over the years.

I have a "tambourine" click that I can hit with a stick to turn on/off and I use it during rehearsal as a reference if I feel we are getting too fast/slow. I also use it sometimes to count in some songs.
    Last edited by NewTricks; 12-29-2014 at 03:04 PM.

User Info Menu

I never liked playing with a click / metronome.................used it in drum corp as a teenager..............but never in RnR bands over the years

Started playing in Church last year, and we use "Click and Cues" through ableton

It works great..............but I'm still getting used to it. I have noticed that I am starting to become reliant on it.

The Christmas Eve service was a "stripped-down" acoustic type show..............a few guitars, violin and me.

We didn't use a click......................and it was extremely refreshing............IMO, as a drummer, we should be able to play with or without one.

User Info Menu

I've been practicing with a metronome of one sort or another regularly since the mid 1970's. I don't use it live with bands, but from using it seemingly forever, I don't have to.

I use metronomes (a click) to record 99% of the time.

A few years back I played hand percussion on an Irish folk EP. The producer did not want a click as he wanted the music to not be rigid, a lot of it was in 6/8. We did over twenty live takes of a particular song trying to nail it perfect. One take was exactly what he wanted except for a two measure bridge. He was really nervous about being able to piece in the bridge since there was not a click. He called me later and said that as he went through each take, the time was perfect. He was hoping to find one that was close, but he said that he had his choice of the bridge from almost every take. It was the best compliment that I've ever gotten on my playing.

I believe that drilling constantly with a metronome is invaluable to develop good time. I've never taken it out of my practice and I never will.
    -Mike

"We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing."

"I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

"Snare drums happen."