Thread: Which aquarian heads...?

BackStreetDrums Guest

Default Which aquarian heads...?

I currently use Evans E2 coated heads. Do not have a problem with them, but considering a change to Aquarian Heads. Looking for a good 'Jazz-BeBop' head, currently using a SONOR 100% Maple kit.

Listening to the sound files on the Aquarian site is not ideal, tho, I narrowed it down to Response2 or Jack DeJohnette series.

Anybody use the Performance II? The website says it is a punchy deep tone..but again, sound files all seem same

User Info Menu

Default Re: Which aquarian heads...?

the Performance II's are very thick and to me sound great when hitting hard. I
    don't know how well they'd perform for jazz though. They recommend them to be tuned loose for a fat sound. The JD series might be a little more well suited for jazz.

I would cross reference ply mil's from one brand to another. That might get you in the ballpark of what you need. Acworth? hey neighbor lol
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

BackStreetDrums Guest

What I was thinking, Slinky...

Heading over to Sam Ash since they stock Aquarians and take a look...may buy a 10" JD head to 'see'

Yes, Acworth area....Been to the Atlanta Drum Collective in Atlanta? Good place to hang out..nice selection of snares, tho small location, I am hoping success and expansion for them.

User Info Menu

I wish I was a little closer to that side. You have lots to choose from S.A., G.C. and Atlanta Pro Percussion (candy store) all those stores within at the most 8 miles or so of each other.
    Last edited by slinky; 04-29-2014 at 07:22 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

The only experience I have with the Aquarian heads is their Z100 textured finish 1 ply which is a nice all around head. Check that one out when you are at the store and it might be for you. I use it on my maple snare and great with brushes.

User Info Menu

I have a studio X coated on my 14" Beech Snare and it sounds Incredible and Aquarian does not even promote it as a snare head. I am definetly going with the Studio X for my Toms next time I need heads. I just have to decide between clear or coated for the toms.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

The good thing about that Sonor kit is, it doesn't matter what heads you put on them... they will sound good.

When I had my Sonor kit, I have used Super 2 coated and Performance 2 coated. Both sounded great on that kit, with the S2's being a tiny bit more open sounding.
    Gretsch Renown RN1 ~ Silver Oyster Pearl

User Info Menu

I highly suggest the Super 2's. One thin ply, one normal ply. Slightly more open than the Response 2's (which are great also).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    I highly suggest the Super 2's. One thin ply, one normal ply. Slightly more open than the Response 2's (which are great also).
    +1:work well on my Sonor maples
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

I would suggest the Aquarian Studio X...thats whats on my Tama Bubinga Elite 14 x 6.5 and I play everything from western swing, jazz, rock, blues and country ( old and new).
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

BackStreetDrums Guest

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    I wish I was a little closer to that side. You have lots to choose from S.A., G.C. and Atlanta Pro Percussion (candy store) all those stores within at the most 8 miles or so of each other.

Atlanta Pro has been in business for 40 years..it is a candy store for drummers, no doubt....the 2 drummers who own Atlanta Drum Collective are former Atl Pro employees....

Thanks everyone for the suggestions

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kickinit View Post
    The good thing about that Sonor kit is, it doesn't matter what heads you put on them... they will sound good.
    I hate to disagree, but it absolutely matters what heads you put on it. I have heard tons of kits that sound horrible with stock or cheap heads, then sound infinitely betterwhen quality heads are put on.

All that being said, I am an Aquarian guy. They rock! I have had Response 2's on my kit, like 'em, but not a jazzy feel. Try a coated 1 ply.
    Yamaha Stage Custom 6 pc
    Assorted Zildjian
    Gibraltar hardware
    Zildjian laminate sticks
    LOTS of snares
    AQUARIAN heads

User Info Menu

I've got Super 2's on my Birch Yamie toms. I like them. I play rock. I'm thinking single ply might be preferred by Jazz drummers though.

User Info Menu

I've heard good things about Aquarian single-ply coated heads, so if it were me, this is what I would get. I've heard that the coating on them lasts much longer than Remo Ambassadors.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by metallitroy View Post
    I hate to disagree, but it absolutely matters what heads you put on it. I have heard tons of kits that sound horrible with stock or cheap heads, then sound infinitely betterwhen quality heads are put on.

All that being said, I am an Aquarian guy. They rock! I have had Response 2's on my kit, like 'em, but not a jazzy feel. Try a coated 1 ply.
    I agree with your reply to an extent. My statement was a testament to how good the Sonor drums are... In my experience, some drums seem to favor a particular brand/type of heads over others, hence it does usually matter. For the Sonor kit, any heads (Remo, Evans, Aquarian, clear, coated, single, double, etc) that I put on them, they just sounded great... (yes, even the stock heads) Different sound for each head but great nonetheless... I loved the Aquarian Super 2s and Performance 2s on the Sonors, but I can't stand either of those on my Renowns.
    Last edited by kickinit; 05-01-2014 at 10:07 AM.
    Gretsch Renown RN1 ~ Silver Oyster Pearl

User Info Menu

I use the Modern Vintage heads on my Rogers kit and I play a lot of jazz, though not much bop. Warm and resonant. Love them.
    Life's too short to play the same solo twice. Improvise!

User Info Menu

I've only used Aquarian on kick drums until recently when I decided to check some out on the rest of the kit... I've been pleasantly surprised!

I have a coated Response 2 on my Acrolite and it sounds wonderful. Rich and full, similar to an Emperor.

I now use Classic Clears on the bottom of ALL of my toms and snares. They're stupid cheap, if you know where to look, and very resonant.

I just ordered a Studio X Coated to try with my 14x8" stave snare. Hoping it will retain the tone of my drum, like an Ambassador, but get rid of the ugly ring this snare has.

I have Texture Coated heads on my vintage Ludwig Classic set and they sound great. My go-to for coated tom heads was always Evans G1s, but the Aquarians are phenomenal.

I also have an American Vintage head on my 12" Yamaha Musashi snare that sounds AMAZING... unfortunately I had this snare tuned pretty low at one point and beat a bunch of dents into the head... Sounds great tuned up high! :D

User Info Menu

Giggity! Aquarians are the best! Got Aquarians on all my snares and my whole kit. LOVE 'EM!!!
    Yamaha Stage Custom 6 pc
    Assorted Zildjian
    Gibraltar hardware
    Zildjian laminate sticks
    LOTS of snares
    AQUARIAN heads

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    I have a studio X coated on my 14" Beech Snare and it sounds Incredible and Aquarian does not even promote it as a snare head. I am definetly going with the Studio X for my Toms next time I need heads. I just have to decide between clear or coated for the toms.
    I have Studio x clear powerdot on my toms on a Mapex v series. Kit. Great tom heads, not too plasticky, good tone, still pretty warm even though they are basswood shells
    Yamaha Stage Custom 6 pc
    Assorted Zildjian
    Gibraltar hardware
    Zildjian laminate sticks
    LOTS of snares
    AQUARIAN heads

User Info Menu

I only have 1 Aquarian drum head - it came fitted to a used (and abused) snare I bought recently. It is discoloured through age and well used but the coating is intact and it still sounds fine, I have changed it but only for cosmetic reasons and I already had a spare head - if I didn't have the spare I wouldn't have bothered, I'm keeping the Aquarian as a spare. It is a 10 mil single ply coated batter with a white power dot attached to the underside, and the only identifying mark I can see is "Z-100 coating" opposite the Aquarian logo.

I have recently fitted all my drums with new Evans heads. When head change time comes around I will definitely try out a few Aquarians

User Info Menu

I use the Response II on my batter bass head. Sounds great. I use coated plain heads on toms and studio x coated on my Steve Gadd maple snare. They also sound great. I never use to worry about heads, but while I was playing with a 16 piece big band for 12years I was replacing heads at least once a year and snare heads every 6 months. Not because I broke them, but the sound would deteriate. Even the bottoms heads loose their good qualities. I believe Aquarians heads are good quality. You will just have to experiment to find the ones for your playing style and type of music. Good luck!

User Info Menu

Aquarian has redesigned their website. Easy navigation. Just thought I'd throw it out there/here
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I tried some Aquarians on my DW kit for around 6 months..........can't remember which version, but they were too dead (twice as dead as pinstripes)................probably my fault, because I didn't research enough.

Think I'll try again with their G-2 equivalent.

What I do know, even after six months of daily playing, the heads look great.........the coating they use is amazing.

I have used the Jack Dejohnette head on my Black Beauty and it sounded great

User Info Menu

I have used the Super II, coated and clear, and am very satisfied with both heads.

User Info Menu

I've been using the Response 2 Coated Black heads on my toms. I'm loving them. The right amount of attack, resonance and warmth. Previously, I tried the Performance 2 with Dot. They sounded too lifeless to me. The only thing I liked about them was the ability to tune them really low.
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
    "I shall either find a way or make one"