Thread: New Cymbal help please!

User Info Menu

Exclamation New Cymbal help please!

Hey everyone I'm new in this website, but I'v been drumming for 8 years. And I play usually hard rock and metal. I have Sabian XS20 AA & AAX cymbals but I still have a old Zildjian ZBT 18" Rock Crash that I use to ride on it crashing, but I want a new one... I'm looking for a cymbal (18" +) that's really bright (and thick enough to not crack easily) and kinda cheap but good sounding....I was thinking about a Zildjian ZHT 18" Crash Ride or a Sabian 18" Rock Crash.... What do you think? Do you have any ideas?

User Info Menu

Default Re: New Cymbal help please!

it's kinda tricky to buy without hearing even with sound samples. The ZHT's I think are a step up from the ZBT's. Dual purpose cymbals aren't well liked by some people here me included.

Might try looking at Meinl's Classics Custom line for a decent cymbal at a good price. There's lots of options though. The heavier the cymbal gets I think the less brightness you'll get. I've had cymbals crack on me before but I think it was my fault and they weren't cheap ones. No cymbals should crack as long as they're being played right. The AAX's are nice and bright cymbals.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Out of the two you mentioned I would go for the Sabian, personally I'm not keen on the sound of Zildjian's B8/B12 crashes - but that's just my taste, not necessarily yours. Meinl's MB8 crashes seem to have a good rep over here, or, if they are still available, maybe a Paiste Alpha or Sabian APX crash. The new Paiste PST7 or 8 ranges may have something you like - all are good quality B8 and should be reasonably priced. Stagg Myra range have crashes that sound good - but the quality can be patchy and they have a reputation for being fragile, so if you found a good one I doubt it would last long...

Obviously any opportunity to try them out first should be taken before parting with the cash. Good luck, let us know which cymbal you go for.

User Info Menu

Thicker cymbals tend to crack easier than thin ones. But like it was already stated any cymbal should last forever if played properly.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SniperRimSh0t24 View Post
    Hey everyone I'm new in this website, but I'v been drumming for 8 years. And I play usually hard rock and metal. I have Sabian XS20 AA & AAX cymbals but I still have a old Zildjian ZBT 18" Rock Crash that I use to ride on it crashing, but I want a new one... I'm looking for a cymbal (18" +) that's really bright (and thick enough to not crack easily) and kinda cheap but good sounding....I was thinking about a Zildjian ZHT 18" Crash Ride or a Sabian 18" Rock Crash.... What do you think? Do you have any ideas?
    Paiste PST7 (heavy)

Bright, Thick, Good, Cheap.

http://paiste.com/e/cymbalsoverv.php...ily&menuid=387
    Last edited by EyePea; 05-12-2014 at 03:39 AM.

Acoustic & Electronic:
    Pearl Prestige World Series WLX 1988
    Tama Swingstar 1983
    Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive (Birch) 2007
    Ludwig Acrolite Snare 1976
    Ludwig Supraphonic 6.5x14" 2021
    Pearl Sensitone Elite Aluminum 5.5" and 6.5" Snare
    Pearl COB Custom Deluxe [Gladstone] (75-76) Snare
    Love Drum Co. Hammered Steel 5.5" Snare
    Roland TD-1KV

Paiste
    Accent 8"

Paiste Signature:
    6", 10" Splash
    14" Dark Crisp Hi-Hats
    14" Sound Edge Hi-Hats
    16", 17", 18",19", 20" Full Crash
    22" Symphonic Med-Heavy (use as a Ride)

Paiste Formula 602:
    22" Formula 602 Modern Essentials Ride

Paiste 2oo2:
    22" Ride
    16" Crash
    8",10" Splash

Paiste 2oo2 Big Beat:
    15" Hi-Hats
    19", 20", 21" Big Beat Multifunctional

Paiste Sound Formula:
    16" Crash
    20" Full Ride (Frankenstein)

Paiste Twenty:
    16" China

Paiste Alpha (original Swiss made):
    12" Splash

Paiste PST7:
    Medium
    16", 18" Crash
    20" Ride
    14" Hi-Hats

Sabian:
    XS20 18" China
    AA 14" Fusion Hi-Hats

User Info Menu

try to look for at paiste traditional crash... I've been banging the s**** out of mine for years and its still without cracks.

Thomas

User Info Menu

Im not sure what brand you are wanting but my one recommendation that I'm glad I learned is buy good quality gear and it will last and make you happy for a ing time. Out of your list I like the sabian AA rock crash the best mostly because i like Sabian.
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

If you have to choose one of those two, I would go Sabian. If there is no budget and whatever brand, I would get a Paiste RUDE 18 in. Very rare one of those things crack
    Happy Drumming!

IS15

User Info Menu

If you are near a Guitar Center store, check out their used cymbals ( they usually have a bin or bins where they place the "less than high-end" cymbals. Grab a pair of sticks and bang away till you find something that tickles your fancy~ plus you can save a lot of bucks this way.
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

I have a zildjian edge crash. They have been discontinued but can still be found. Only like $30 used. Its an 18" and its pretty thick. I use it next to a 17" zildjian A series crash. I use the edge crash as my primary. And I ride on it as well. Look that one up you may like it. Its in between the zbt and zht series, well was.
    Mapex Saturn 6 pc
    14x6 mapex stainless steel snare
    Zildjian,Paiste, Meinl
    DW5000 td4 double pedal