Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "It's All Good" Band

User Info Menu

Default Re: "It's All Good" Band

Rich, have you tried backing off the tension on the batter head?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    Sorry to hear about the problems, Rich. I'm sure it's incredibly frustrating.
    Mark, it's almost a waste of time...but as a "team" player, I will endure....

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Rich, have you tried backing off the tension on the batter head?
    Hi Mark! Yes, I've tried backing off on the tension on the batter but to no avail. I've got the reso dampened to a point where you only hear the batter and even that's overbearing. The drum room acts like a resonator and it over emphasizes any frequencies at 20-60kHz. Adding bass traps would really help this issue resolve itself.

User Info Menu

Here's my last little trick to try. Take a towel or jacket and stuff it between the pedal and the batter head. Seems unorthodox but seriously jam it down between the pedal and the head so it's muffling roughly the bottom 3rd of the drum.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Ok, I lied. I had another thought but forgot to mention. Have you tried a harder beater for the pedal? If you are using anything padded or felty, try switching to something not so soft.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Ok, I lied. I had another thought but forgot to mention. Have you tried a harder beater for the pedal? If you are using anything padded or felty, try switching to something not so soft.
    Yep..using the plastic side of the beater

User Info Menu

Probably not an option at this point, but have you guys priced a pro studio?

User Info Menu

Rich, why don't you have a port in the reso head? Or even take the reso head off completely for recording? Have you tried making a tunnel out of moving blankets to reduce the effect of the room on the kick drum sound?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    Probably not an option at this point, but have you guys priced a pro studio?
    Yep...not too many in Amador County. It's either Sacramento or San Francisco and the professional recording studio where these guys went and recorded an EP with their former drummer went out of business last year. It was in the neighboring county in Live Oak CA. Nobody has any money to throw at this demo including me.

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    Rich, why don't you have a port in the reso head? Or even take the reso head off completely for recording? Have you tried making a tunnel out of moving blankets to reduce the effect of the room on the kick drum sound?
    Hi xsabers. Thanks for the pics man! As far as the kit, it's not my call. I've offered my Gretsch USA Custom kit several times and they show no interest in using it. I think it comes down to a comfort level thing and they insist on using the Pearl Export kit, non-ported reso and Aquarian heads. I'm finding it a challenge to play in a band where all three members were/are drummers. All three of these guys own drum kits and they all have varying opinions on how the mix should sound. To avoid a confrontational situation, I keeping my thoughts to myself until I'm asked "So, what do you think of the drum mix?" and at that point, I'll speak my peace. It's the only diplomatic solution I see at the moment. I'm the "new" guy and the youngest member (54 years old) in the band. I'll defer to these guys until it's my turn to put my two cent in. Until then, I'll keep focused on the covers and keeping the meter straight.

User Info Menu

Id ditch the reso and then isolate the kick, wouldnt do a whole tunnel just a heavy blanket over the front of the kick and mic. Live rooms (IMO) work best with just overheads not closed mics, use all that natural reverb to your advantage.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Id ditch the reso and then isolate the kick, wouldnt do a whole tunnel just a heavy blanket over the front of the kick and mic. Live rooms (IMO) work best with just overheads not closed mics, use all that natural reverb to your advantage.
    Thanks Noel...I'll keep this in the back of my mind. Thanks to you and others, I've got alot of good ideas to try when it's time to speak up.

I listened to the rough mix last night on my CD player in my car on the way home from the session. It sounded bad. I'd like to post it here but that wouldn't be fair to the guy that's mixing the covers. He called me a few minutes ago and apologized about the poor sounding mix. He said he'll make a concerted effort this week on remixing what we recorded last night. He confessed to me that playing guitar while sitting at the mixing board during the actual recording is pushing his limits. I'll be patient and keep positive about this demo.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I'm finding it a challenge to play in a band where all three members were/are drummers. All three of these guys own drum kits and they all have varying opinions on how the mix should sound.
    That would have to be hard

User Info Menu

Yep...not too many in Amador County. It's either Sacramento or San Francisco and the professional recording studio where these guys went and recorded an EP with their former drummer went out of business last year. It was in the neighboring county in Live Oak CA. Nobody has any money to throw at this demo including me.

Hi xsabers. Thanks for the pics man! As far as the kit, it's not my call. I've offered my Gretsch USA Custom kit several times and they show no interest in using it. I think it comes down to a comfort level thing and they insist on using the Pearl Export kit, non-ported reso and Aquarian heads. I'm finding it a challenge to play in a band where all three members were/are drummers. All three of these guys own drum kits and they all have varying opinions on how the mix should sound. To avoid a confrontational situation, I keeping my thoughts to myself until I'm asked "So, what do you think of the drum mix?" and at that point, I'll speak my peace. It's the only diplomatic solution I see at the moment. I'm the "new" guy and the youngest member (54 years old) in the band. I'll defer to these guys until it's my turn to put my two cent in. Until then, I'll keep focused on the covers and keeping the meter straight.

I feel for ya man. I'm sure that's a tough situation. I think you're doing the right thing at this point. You're the new guy and since you aren't paying for this I'd probably do the same thing. Just lay back, cut your tracks, and speak up when asked. Now if you were putting a pile of cash toward this, certainly, the situation would be different.

I look forward to hearing more about the sessions, Rich.

User Info Menu

Kinda confusing. What's with the sleeping bag tunnels and all that? Pearl Exports miked up traditionally should be able to give acceptable if not down right great sounds.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Kinda confusing. What's with the sleeping bag tunnels and all that? Pearl Exports miked up traditionally should be able to give acceptable if not down right great sounds.

all the best...
    Even Neil Peart used the blanket tunnel method on his recent non-RUSH recording (although he called it an igloo, being Canadian and all). Fairly common technique.

User Info Menu

Well, I had no idea. All the time and $$ spent on aquiring top notch drums and you have to mike them through sleeping bag tunnels to make em sound right?!!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Bumping this thread up to share some pics of a gig we had yesterday in a little town of Pioneer in Amador County CA. The weather was just beautiful and it was a nice day to drive up to the foothills of the Sierras.

This was the debut for the '57 Chevy reso head and I got a big thumbs up from the band.

User Info Menu

I finally pulled away at dusk....a long day but tons of fun!!

User Info Menu

Guessing the man in the chair was hard of hearing BEFORE the gig.....or was it afterwards?

"The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

I finally pulled away at dusk....a long day but tons of fun!!

Looks like it was a lot of fun....................California is beautiful

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    Looks like it was a lot of fun....................California is beautiful
    Butch, I'm having so much fun playing with these new guys, I feel guilty getting paid...... Well maybe just a little bit.

User Info Menu

Yeah, well still pics will keep us satisfied...to a point!

Vids man, WE NEED VIDS!

User Info Menu

Bumping this thread up to share some pics of a gig we had yesterday in a little town of Pioneer in Amador County CA. The weather was just beautiful and it was a nice day to drive up to the foothills of the Sierras.
    This was the debut for the '57 Chevy reso head and I got a big thumbs up from the band.
    Wow Rich, great pics! I love that whole area up around Amador County. Beautiful country up there!

Kit looks fantastic with that graphic.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    Yeah, well still pics will keep us satisfied...to a point!

Vids man, WE NEED VIDS!
    Dude, there was nobody there to film or take pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    Wow Rich, great pics! I love that whole area up around Amador County. Beautiful country up there!

Kit looks fantastic with that graphic.
    Thanks man!! I appreciate it!!

User Info Menu

Bumping this thread to share a few pics of a gig we took yesterday to bail out another band that had to back out at the last minute. The setting was in Jackson CA along a hillside behind a church that's nestled in the foothills of the Sierras. Hang on before any conclusions are made...it's not what you think.

Our host was well aware that we were filling in at the last minute and asked if we could clean up our set list which we did with a smile so we dropped songs like La Grange and a few others that are more appropriate in a bar or pub which is the type of venue we play. The mic stand in front of the kick drum covered up an "O" in the word "Good" in this pic which was totally a coincidence.

It was nice to play outdoors again. I'm really getting spoiled by the fresh air, trees and sunny weather. Yesterday's high temp was in the mid 90's.

Our band is a '60s, '70s R&B cover band and we play Hendrix and a lot of the "standard" classic rock stuff. Our host was very gracious and made it clear that we weren't in church and the band was there to provide background music while folks bbq'd hamburgers and hotdogs. We have a few more outdoor venues booked next month and I'm hoping the temps won't reach into the 100s. Yesterday was a little toasty...

Last edited by late8; 06-30-2014 at 09:47 AM.

User Info Menu

Great pics Rich!
    How did the gig go? Did you get a good vibe from the crowd? (even if you were just supposed to be background music)
    Gretsch Renown RN1 ~ Silver Oyster Pearl