Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "It's All Good" Band

User Info Menu

Default "It's All Good" Band

Want to share some pics of the new band I joined a few months back. We had our first gig this weekend in the town of Ione which is a small community nestled in the foothills of Amador County CA. The annual "homecoming" celebration features local bands from the area during the weekend festivities and it's also the home of a large equestrian park which featured riders who showed off their skills during the weekend.

It was a windy day and the wind gusts were strong enough to flop my cymbals around while I played. I was concerned about my cymbal stands falling over from the wind so I secured the two stands I had out front with a Gibraltar V-Bar I had brought just in case I needed to "tie" things together.

Last edited by late8; 05-12-2014 at 01:52 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: "It's All Good" Band

We had three mics on the kit: kick, snare and one overhead:

The "stage" was located behind a horseshoe pit which was full of contestants who were competing for a 1st place trophy. The dirt that was kicked up from the flying horse shoes was all over the place. I had to keep the kit under a tarp while the band before us played out their set.

User Info Menu

It was a great family event. There were games and rides for the kids and besides being really windy, the weather couldn't of been any better.

The trees not only gave us shade but provided a cool vibe...

Last edited by late8; 05-12-2014 at 02:14 PM.

User Info Menu

Looks like it was a great time!

Love the band name too!
    Gretsch Renown RN1 ~ Silver Oyster Pearl

User Info Menu

Other than the dirt issue it looks like a cool setting, Rich.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kickinit View Post
    Looks like it was a great time!

Love the band name too!
    lol! Thanks David...I wasn't too keen on the name but I had already committed to the band with a handshake and as I was walking out of the audition, I asked what the name of the band was and when they said "It's All Good", I laughed outloud. I asked myself, "What if it ain't.. "All Good?" Then what? lol..

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    Other than the dirt issue it looks like a cool setting, Rich.
    Thanks Mark....drums are now coated in dirt. I'll have to break them down to really get all of the dirt off the shells. The next gig is indoors

User Info Menu

Nice. What style of music do you play?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    Nice. What style of music do you play?
    Thanks man! We play the '60s and '70s classic rock stuff and a few orginals. I think there's a song on the set list by the Black Crows called "Hard to Handle" which could be a song from this era but it's mostly the standard stuff like ZZ Top, Hendrix, Doobie Bros, Santana, Van Morrison etc....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Thanks Mark....drums are now coated in dirt. I'll have to break them down to really get all of the dirt off the shells. The next gig is indoors
    I'll bet you're glad you didn't bring the USA Customs out! Definitely looks like it was a fun gig

User Info Menu

Looks like a good time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    I'll bet you're glad you didn't bring the USA Customs out! Definitely looks like it was a fun gig
    I was thinking the exact same thing Butch...

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Looks like a good time.
    Thanks man! It was fun to play out again. It's been over a year since I last played in front of people...

User Info Menu

Looks like a good time, Rich! Leave it to your awesome ingenuity to come up with a way to keep those cymbal stands from blowing over. I'll bet you had a heck of a time cleaning up the kit after that gig.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Looks nice. I wish I was there to see you guys perform.

User Info Menu

WTG!!!

Windy days are always scary when no rack is used.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    Looks like a good time, Rich! Leave it to your awesome ingenuity to come up with a way to keep those cymbal stands from blowing over. I'll bet you had a heck of a time cleaning up the kit after that gig.
    Mark, the heads need to be pulled and the hoops and shells will need a quick wipe down...not as tough as learning the new covers and original though. Here are the three sets we did on Saturday. There's approximately 45 minutes of music per set:

Set 1
    The Letter
    Devil Woman (original)
    Ramblin Man
    How Long
    Two Tickets
    Dark Eyed Cajun Woman
    Hey Little Girl (original)
    California Dreaming
    Wild Nights
    Peaceful Easy Feeling
    Hey Jealousy
    Back in the USSR

Set 2
    In The City/ Evil Ways
    Long Train Running
    La Grange
    Proud Mary
    Little Sister
    Already Gone
    Big boss Man
    Listen to the Music
    Wake Up In the Morning (original)
    Take me to the River
    Knock’n on Heaven's Door
    Hard to Handle

Set 3
    House is Rocking
    You Don't know (original)
    Fire
    Mustang Sally
    Brown Eyed Girl
    All Along the Watchtower
    I Need to Know
    Suffergette City
    I got a line on you
    Free Ride
    Crossroads
    Good Loving

Alternate set:
    Worried about my baby
    Keep your hands to yourself
    Shotgun
    Little wing
    Wicked game
    Mexico (original)
    Hold your head up
    Hound dog

Quote Originally Posted by 8beat View Post
    Looks nice. I wish I was there to see you guys perform.
    Thanks 8beat!

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    WTG!!!

Windy days are always scary when no rack is used.
    Thanks Bish! The wind was blowing the cymbals away from me at times, now that's a first for me brother Bish...
    Last edited by late8; 05-12-2014 at 10:00 PM.

User Info Menu

That looks like a totally cool gig Rich! Was there an area where people could sit and listen, or was it just standing?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

How cool is that! And the song list too! For one..."Hold your head up" That'd be fun!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Thanks man! We play the '60s and '70s classic rock stuff and a few orginals. I think there's a song on the set list by the Black Crows called "Hard to Handle" which could be a song from this era but it's mostly the standard stuff like ZZ Top, Hendrix, Doobie Bros, Santana, Van Morrison etc....
    we've thrown Hard to Handle in our set, goes down pretty well.

cheers Mark
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Nice set list.

User Info Menu

Looking good Rich. Tell me something is always sunny down there cause you are always wearing sun glasses or are they prescription tinted glasses like mine. Looks like you are having fun man.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    That looks like a totally cool gig Rich! Was there an area where people could sit and listen, or was it just standing?
    Thanks Bob! There were bales of hay scattered around the beer truck and a few park bench type seats that were near the food vendors but no seating provided at the music venue. The horseshoe tournement folks brought in their own tables and chairs. The pit was just a few feet from the back of the stage. The clanging of the horseshoes was cool to hear. Not too many folks take part in that type of activities these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray on the Drums View Post
    How cool is that! And the song list too! For one..."Hold your head up" That'd be fun!
    Thanks Ray. Hold Your Head Up can be one to stretch the set out a bit. Long solos within the song if I recall the original version.

Quote Originally Posted by markthechuck View Post
    we've thrown Hard to Handle in our set, goes down pretty well.

cheers Mark
    Yes it does!

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Nice set list.
    Thanks inthpktplayer.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Looking good Rich. Tell me something is always sunny down there cause you are always wearing sun glasses or are they prescription tinted glasses like mine. Looks like you are having fun man.
    Thanks Gilles! You are correct sir. Prescription tinted like yours and it's always sunny here in Nor-Cal.

User Info Menu

Is that "Fire" Hendrix or Pointer Sisters? (we do both...)

User Info Menu

That looks like a party. I would have played that gig. I bet y'all had a great time. Also your band sounds like a band I would totally dig hanging out and listening to. I also wish I had been there!
    Cut it large and kick it into place!

User Info Menu

Congrats! Looks like a great time! I like your set list....nice mix. Between the two different bands I'm in, we do many of the same songs. 2 songs stand out to me; (1) Proud Mary......I LOVE CCR, but I've just heard it & played it too many times. (2) Suffergette City....One of my favorites! I don't remember the last time I heard anyone cover that song. I tried to get our band to do a cover of Ziggy Stardust, but the other guys thought I was joking, LOL. I dont think our guitar player had ever heard it before, LOL. I'm glad that reminded me. I think I'll hit 'em up about it again!
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    Is that "Fire" Hendrix or Pointer Sisters? (we do both...)
    Hendrix, and that's cool you do the Pointer Sisters. They had some great harmony.

Quote Originally Posted by CollinCo.Drummer View Post
    That looks like a party. I would have played that gig. I bet y'all had a great time. Also your band sounds like a band I would totally dig hanging out and listening to. I also wish I had been there!
    Thanks CollinCo.Drummer. The outdoor gigs are my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Congrats! Looks like a great time! I like your set list....nice mix. Between the two different bands I'm in, we do many of the same songs. 2 songs stand out to me; (1) Proud Mary......I LOVE CCR, but I've just heard it & played it too many times. (2) Suffergette City....One of my favorites! I don't remember the last time I heard anyone cover that song. I tried to get our band to do a cover of Ziggy Stardust, but the other guys thought I was joking, LOL. I dont think our guitar player had ever heard it before, LOL. I'm glad that reminded me. I think I'll hit 'em up about it again!
    Ya know I thought the same thing about Proud Mary when I saw it for the first time on their set list when I auditioned but I was quite surprised with the version we play. It starts out fast like the second part of Ike and Tina Turner's version for 4 measures then it stops for 4 counts then it slides into a slow funky Motown type of groove....different from the standard CCR which I appreciate too.