Thread: Cymbal endorsement rules?

User Info Menu

Default Cymbal endorsement rules?

So If I was ever endorsing Sabian cymbals, how could I get around their bells? I absolutely HATE Sabian bells. Is there a loophole? Could I pick up an HH PowerBell ride and cut out the bell?
    Sabian AAX Xplosion crash 18"
    Sabian AAX Xplosion crash 16"
    Sabian AAX Xplosion hats 14"
    Sabian Vault Holy China 19"
    LP Ice Bell 7" (love it)
    Sabian AA 12" Mini China

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cymbal endorsement rules?

Gavin Harrison is endorsed by Zildjian and he has a set of bells that he cut out of old cymbals.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

my bell is a 22 k custom ride that was crack arround the bell that ive cut
    so i have a 400.00 bell LOL

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

By not accepting an endorsement. If your being paid to play something, you play it bro.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

in Russia cymbal endorse you

User Info Menu

I'm with you. I love Sabian stuff...except their bells. All my cymbals are Sabian...except the 2 bells.

User Info Menu

What I notice is that whatever I look for in cymbals and effects sounds varies depending whether I'm behind a drum set or a percussion rig....what sounds good in one context doesn't necessarily sound right in the other one. Things like cup chimes, small accent cymbals and so on Paiste excel in (for me), but there are sound that companies like UFIP and Meinl make that I don't mind either. And that's why I'd be a company's endorsement nightmare....I'll be content with a full Paiste cymbal set on a kit, but on a full-blown percussion rig (something extensive, not your typical gig sort with congas, timbales and a small traps table of toys), I like a wide sonic palette...Paiste sounds are great, but sometimes I need dirty and earthy effects to contrast the bright and clean sounds of Paiste (I've stuff like a UFIP Ice Bell, Wuhan mini chinas and splashes, a Fisaggi crash/ride for the timbale set-up, a Zildjian Oriental Splash, a Stagg 18" 'wind gong' and so forth, amongst all sorts of other effects to pick and choose from, which I can use to contrast my Paiste stuff). If I were to ink an endorsement, I'd have to give up using that stuff live, and that won't do for me. I rarely bump into percussionists who are either in education or performing who seem to endorse one brand of cymbal or one brand of drum throughout their set-ups though....probably because the huge range of various types of percussion.....Latin, orchestral/tuned percussion, Middle Eastern, African, Indian, etc, simply can't be handled by one company alone, it'd be a manufacturing and logistical headache for them, let alone having the expertise to design and build them. This is something that many percussionists realised long ago, and having various brands in your set up is an every day reality. Frankly it doesn't bother me.

By the way, this is UFIP's take on a traditional Burma Bell effect. Years ago Zildjian used to produce these in small numbers (I missed the chance to get one) but sadly you won't find them in their catalogue nowadays, they disappeared from their inventory long ago. Paiste for whatever reason, doesn't make it. More's the pity.

Last edited by Drumbledore; 05-23-2014 at 11:12 AM.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Agree with Drumbledore. As a percussionist, I own items from LP, Meinl, Remo, Rhythm Tech, Toca, Treeworks, and others plus many items with no brand at all. Same with cymbals...Kasza, Sabian, Wuhan, Zildjian... I really can't imagine giving up some of these to only have one brand, I love mixing things up.
    Back to the original question though, I am sure that you could use some old cut-down cymbal. The companies do make custom things as well, so I'm sure Sabian could make a bell that sounded similar to another brand. Wasn't that how the Paragon chinas were created, modeled in sound after the older Wuhan china-types?

User Info Menu

if you want free cymbals (endorsements) then you play them

but until you start touring and selling out venues ..this is just a dream ...endorsments are not the same as sponsorships ..

until it happens just play what you want, I personally would rather play the cymbals that i like than play some mediocre crap a company is trying to flog off. (ie Mapex Mydentidy) yeah you know its just a cheep shell wrapped in a pritty finish