Thread: Cleaning drum heads

User Info Menu

Default Cleaning drum heads

Here is a question I just thought of. How do you clean drum heads clear or coated?

Keep drumming

Gregg

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cleaning drum heads

if they are really bad ...go to the store, buy new ones

i just use the same stuff i use for the tv and pc monitor, its just watered down rubbing alcohol

User Info Menu

I don't clean my drum heads. I wipe down my shells, hardware, lube my pedals and polish cymbals. The heads, I leave alone.

User Info Menu

I have cleaned clear drumheads with regular dish washing detergent. I have cleaned a very badly marked coated snare head (coated sticks!) with dish washing soap and the scrubbing pads for non stick saucepans (very gently - you don't have to scrub). Remove the heads for cleaning - don't risk your drum shells regardless of which method you choose.

User Info Menu

I just viewed a video on how to clean you drum heads using some type of oil. It seems to work but I think that would soften or damage the heads. Another video a guy used a heat gun to take dents out of the heads but also admitted he was not a drummer. I am going to go with your advices and try them.

Keep drumming

Gregg

P.S. I will let you all know the results when I am finished.

User Info Menu

I have never cleaned heads, they don't get dirty.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

Buying a lot of used kits, sometimes the heads are in good shape but very dirty, dusty, someone spilled on them. I have had pretty god luck using Green Works cleaner from Clorox. I have yet to see any issues or damage cause by using it.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

I've used a damp Mr Clean "Magic Eraser" pad with good results.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Non Ammonia Windex.

User Info Menu

Vinegar/ water for clear heads and vinegar/baking soda/water on coated. Safe natural ingredients for cleaning the whole kit too.

User Info Menu

None of the above . Never use any liguid on heads a dust buster is all you need . Heads are meant to be played not to look at. Or a vac with no sharp edges on end. The small soft brush end also works good

User Info Menu

Just got finished cleaning some extra remo heads that I had laying aroung the house and they look great. I put clear ambassadors on my toms and now my sonor sounds great.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy60 View Post
    Just got finished cleaning some extra remo heads that I had laying aroung the house and they look great. I put clear ambassadors on my toms and now my sonor sounds great.
    Nice to hear cleaning them worked for you and you have got heads for your Sonor that you are happy with.

On the subject of cleaning heads - I bought a Tama Artwood 5.5x14 for about £45, and I have just snagged a Mapex Meridian Birch 5.5x14 snare on eBay for £21 (the prices may not seem that special to folks in the US but over here that is cheeeep!), the reason I am mentioning it is the pics in the listings show batters with very grimy looking heads (brown in the centre). Although this makes little difference to the sound - it deters buyers. Do yourselves a favour - if you sell a drum CLEAN the heads for a more appealing photo.

User Info Menu

I'm with Zeta---If I buy a used kit, and the heads are nasty, but not damaged or worn out I pull them, clean them (soft, damp cloth usually works) put them back on and play them for awhile---if I decide to keep the kit I have an idea what kind of heads I want, and if I decide to sell it I haven't spent a bunch of money on heads that the buyer will most likely change anyway

User Info Menu

Wow, I don't think that I've ever had heads long enough for them to get dirty.

With that said, I could see how unwrapped heads that have been sitting on a shelf of a year or so would probably need to be dusted off.

User Info Menu

Most modern heads are made of Mylar (a plastic) and will not tolerate anything with a petroleum component.
    In the rare case that a head needs to be cleaned, I would use mild soap and water.
    Otherwise, like many have advised here, purchase new heads.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by porkpieguy View Post
    Wow, I don't think that I've ever had heads long enough for them to get dirty.
    I gig on average once a week at an outside venue...year round here in Arizona. It's dusty in Arizona and a simply breeze of air will cover your gear in a fine dust.

There's times I simply feel like setting my kit up in a car wash and hosing it down....yes...it can get THAT bad.

In that case....I use a clean towel with a little soap, some vinegar and water on my drums and heads (non-coated) - and a blast of Windex on the towel for my hardware.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Am I the only one who thinks the slightly worn look a drumhead gets over time looks cool? I mean when I see a kit where all the heads have that silver dollar sized dirty bull's-eye where the drummer is hitting every tom in the same spot every time, I'm impressed. If I ever get good enough to pull that look off, I'm never changing my heads!

User Info Menu

I posted earlier mentioning that its best to clean heads before attempting to sell. I received the Mapex Meridian snare in the post today. Here are a couple of pics to demonstrate why I think its best to clean the heads before selling.
    Before-[IMG][/IMG]
    After-[IMG][/IMG]
    After I removed the batter and cleaned with dishwashing soap and water - rinsed it, dried and refitted which took a maximum of 10 minutes. The head looks and sounds ok although I will probably replace it sooner than later. I got this from eBay - normally these sell for around £50 used. I know its not the most desirable drum in the world but I only paid £21 - other than the worn head this drum is pristine - shell, wrap and hardware - not a mark to be seen and everything works smoothly. Stuff listed for sale with unappetising photograph sells for peanuts if at all.

User Info Menu

I clean my heads before posting a drum for sale, or simply when they get to dirty for my taste, with pretty much whatever all purpose cleaner I have around the house.

I for one am more prone to purchase used gear if it does not look used, also I like the look of fresh heads on my kit.
    don't put off till tomorrow what you can put off today

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EddieV View Post
    I gig on average once a week at an outside venue...year round here in Arizona. It's dusty in Arizona and a simply breeze of air will cover your gear in a fine dust.

There's times I simply feel like setting my kit up in a car wash and hosing it down....yes...it can get THAT bad.
    I'd probably invest in an acrylic kit if I were you.

User Info Menu

I much prefer using the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser pads with a bit of water on the pad - it takes off all the "funk & grit and grime" right off along with any stick marks and then I wipe the heads with a soft paper towel to remove any remaining moisture and residue.
    My coated batter heads look brand new after I use the Magic Eraser and any dust etc., that gets on the reso's is also gone, and it doesnt take much wiping to get them clean.
    Its quick, simple and quite cost effective as one pad lasts a very very long time when youre only cleaning your drum heads with one.
    Last edited by Warren Wright; 05-28-2014 at 08:39 AM.
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I love it when my heads get beat up and nasty looking. I'm always looking for an excuse to go to my local drum shop for more gear.

Tex

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    I love it when my heads get beat up and nasty looking. I'm always looking for an excuse to go to my local drum shop for more gear.

Tex
    +1. When my drumheads get like that, time to replace 'em...