Thread: Recording Drums

User Info Menu

Default Recording Drums

Hi guys, I'm a newbie at this whole recording thing and I've been trying to look for some answers but couldn't find one that explains clearly. Do you need an audio interface to record or can I just use an analog mixer alone?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Recording Drums

You can use an analog mixers rac outs into your computers line in jack and use audacity software with great results.

Its how this was recorded

BMO Let It Roll: http://youtu.be/Sc9N6XnakTU
    Last edited by Northern Redneck; 05-23-2014 at 07:53 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigMac View Post
    Hi guys, I'm a newbie at this whole recording thing and I've been trying to look for some answers but couldn't find one that explains clearly. Do you need an audio interface to record or can I just use an analog mixer alone?
    You can use an analog mix alone. However you will only have the ability manipulate your channel levels and individual eq's on the board.

An interface allows you to multitrack record each channel individually so you can edit them after recording.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    You can use an analog mixers rac outs into your computers line in jack and use audacity software with great results.

Its how this was recorded

BMO Let It Roll: http://youtu.be/Sc9N6XnakTU
    Hey thanks for replying. How come on youtube (when I search "how to setup a mixer") I see videos of people using a mixer and also an audio interface? What is an audio interface exactly?

I plan on getting a Samson MDR1064 Mixer: http://www.belfieldmusic.com.au/pa-g...e-presets.html
    Do I just need a 1/8 inch audio line and a 1/8inch to 1/4 inch adapter to connect to the audio out channel on the mixer?
    Last edited by BigMac; 05-23-2014 at 10:27 PM.

User Info Menu

I just went to radio shack bought an 1/8 stereo male to stereo RCA cable. Plugged the RCAs into the tape out on my board and the 1/8 into the line in on my computer.

User Info Menu

Go buy a copy of Modern Recording Techniques, do a little reading, it will explain a LOT ;-)
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

I see videos of people using a mixer and also an audio interface? What is an audio interface exactly?
    An audio interface is a device that converts audio signals in to a digital format. If you are running a mixing board in to your computer directly, then you are using the sound card in your computer to convert the audio signal to digital.

The advantages of a recording interface is that it gives you a huge amount of control over the sound. You can record multiple microphones or instruments simultaneously, and then after the fact go in and apply an effect or EQ to just one of those instruments if you want.

If you take the time to really dial in the levels on your mixing board, you can make a great recording going straight from your mixing board in to your computer. An interface is a great thing to have if you want to do something like record drums and guitar at the same time, and then add reverb to the drums but leave the guitar alone after the fact because the interface will allow you to keep the recordings of those two instruments separately.
    "Guys, if you wanted Superman for this gig, you should have hired Superman. Instead, you got Batman." - Donny Gruendler

"You always think you have more problems than you actually have." - Dave Elitch

Instagram: @bringerofthud
    Twitter:@davetilove

User Info Menu

Do I just need a 1/8 inch audio line and a 1/8inch to 1/4 inch adapter to connect to the audio out channel on the mixer?
    Sorry, I should have answered this in my last post. Do you know if the 1/8" jack on your computer is stereo? Sometimes (but not always) they are, and that would be awesome! If it is, I would actually recommend that you get a cable that is a stereo 1/8" male on one side, and splits in to two mono 1/4" male on the other side. (That sort of cable looks like this) That way you could get a stereo signal in to your computer.

If not, you can do what you suggested, male-to-male 1/8" with an adaptor, or get a male-to-male 1/8" to 1/4" cable so you don't need an adaptor.
    "Guys, if you wanted Superman for this gig, you should have hired Superman. Instead, you got Batman." - Donny Gruendler

"You always think you have more problems than you actually have." - Dave Elitch

Instagram: @bringerofthud
    Twitter:@davetilove