Thread: Which drum kit do you use ?

User Info Menu

Default Which drum kit do you use ?

I am having a hard time trying to decide which drum kit I should use. So here is my question: which drum kit do you use to practice with and play at gigs with? See I have my 4 pc. sonor bop kit and my 7 pc. gretsch catalina maple kit. The sonor bop kit is a lot smaller than my gretsch kit and if I get into a band would it be better to practice with the kit that I am going to play the most on? I am leaning towards pulling my gretsch drums out and using them. I guess you could say it's alittle confusing.

Keep drumming
    Gregg

User Info Menu

Default Re: Which drum kit do you use ?

I would say you are better off practicing on a kit that is a similar config (or the same) as what you will gig with. Muscle memory and all.

It also depends on how experienced you are and the type of music you play.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

We practice at my house where I have 2 kits set up almost always.

Practice with either and gig with what you need.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Whichever kit you decide to gig with, leave the other set up in the same configuration for practice. I am assuming you have sufficient hardware for both.
    At the moment I have a Sonor Jungle kit set up - I have added a cheapo spare tom to it as my other kits are both 2 up 1 down. My other kits and hardware are in cases/bags and ready to go when needed.

User Info Menu

In my playing days, all 5 of my sets were configured the same way.

User Info Menu

I just have one set, so I dont have to make these decisions.

User Info Menu

I have three kits. Two are set up in my studio as 5 piece for teaching purposes. My gig kit is also a 5 piece with the option to expand it to a 7 piece (extra floor tom and extra mounted tom). I try to always play on the configuration on which I practice.

User Info Menu

All of them but at different times.

I know that clears things up, doesn't it?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I practice on a 4pc that I leave set up at our band's practice location. When we gig at a small venue, I also use that kit. I keep my 6pc Premier kit atmy house in the cases. If we play somewhere that room is not an issue, or if I'm playing in my classic rock band, then I gig with the big kit. Since I practice on a 4pc, gigging with a 6pc doesn't seem to effect me much. If I practiced on the 6pc and then tried to gig on a 4pc, it might be more of an issue.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Well after reading all of your comments I have decided to keep my 4 pc. sonor kit out for practice and small venues. My 7 pc. gretsch will stay in the cases and when I need it I will set it up also as a 4 pc.kit to play at larger places.

Keep drumming

Gregg

User Info Menu

How about pictures?

User Info Menu

Do the two kits sound different? Chose the better sounding kit and use it for everything. Unless you think that you are just practicing your own parts while coincidentally three or four other people are practicing their parts too. A band is the sum of the parts and practice is about learning to play nice together. Do you think the singer should use his or her big voice for only the bigger venues?

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SunDog View Post
    Do the two kits sound different? Chose the better sounding kit and use it for everything. Unless you think that you are just practicing your own parts while coincidentally three or four other people are practicing their parts too. A band is the sum of the parts and practice is about learning to play nice together. Do you think the singer should use his or her big voice for only the bigger venues?
    Could be a possibility that one kit is suitable for larger venues, or only certain parts used for smaller venues (not all toms/hardware/cymbals) if space is at a premium. Having another kit permanently set up or left at the place you practice beats the hell out of having to carry it with you everywhere.

As for the singer - what about that volume control on the PA - big number big venue, smaller number for small venue. It works for most.

User Info Menu

Huh? You'll sound different. It wouldn't be acceptable for other musicians to be inconsistant. I'm just trying to help a guy sound better. Play the better sounding kit regardless of the size of the venue. If the place gets bigger use more sound reinforcement. What do you play in a stadium? Do you break out the 36" kick? You still use a 22" right? Use the best sounding drums you have, always.

User Info Menu

When at a gig or practicing with other ban members I see your point, if you have a kit set up at home for personal practice use (without other band members present) I don't see how it makes any difference. Owning a practice kit isn't essential but if you do have more than one kit - just not having to set up so often is a plus.

User Info Menu

I get you. Yeah for learning at home of course. I could never set up and tear down for every practice (don't know how some do it). He was talking about using one for practice and another live or switching up based on the size of the club. Unless the two kits are the same or very similar that's just a bad idea IMO. I used to switch kits but they were 10,12,16,20 and 10,12,15,20 and they were both maple (DW and Pearl) and I used the same snare and cymbals every show.

User Info Menu

got three kits all set up the same 2 up 1 down. One for band practice, the other 2: alternate the gig-out with my own home set up. I don't need the confusion!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/