Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Frank Beard

User Info Menu

Default Re: Frank Beard

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    It's interesting to watch local cover band drummers trying to hit the signature lick of the first song(1:46 is the first). Most either totally muff it or do their own fill cuz they can't get it right. Beard is very straight forward, but, also has skills.

Right around 4:15, when they start Lagrange again................the guitarist and bass player come in late......................one of the few mistakes I've ever seen from ZZ top.

They cover it beautifully, but when they turn around and walk back towards the drums, Frank give them a little grin

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    Right around 4:15, when they start Lagrange again................the guitarist and bass player come in late......................one of the few mistakes I've ever seen from ZZ top.

They cover it beautifully, but when they turn around and walk back towards the drums, Frank give them a little grin
    Good catch Butch! I had to go back and watch it a few times. I captured the moment when Frank flashed his grin when the other two guys missed coming in on the second time around. That was pretty funny. On a side note, did you notice how windy it was on stage? Frank's Paistes were flopping around like laundry drying on a clothesline.

User Info Menu

It's interesting to watch local cover band drummers trying to hit the signature lick of the first song(1:46 is the first). Most either totally muff it or do their own fill cuz they can't get it right. Beard is very straight forward, but, also has skills.

I've never used double bass to execute this fill. It's just triplets alternating the hands and foot working it around from snare, ride tom then floor tom. Throw in an alternate hand flam and bingo.....there it is.

This guy explains it pretty well. Check out the end of the vid.

What bugs me is that the way I see Frank Beard play it at the 1:48 mark and the way the guy in the second video teach it are completely different.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

I've never used double bass to execute this fill. It's just triplets alternating the hands and foot working it around from snare, ride tom then floor tom. Throw in an alternate hand flam and bingo.....there it is.

This guy explains it pretty well. Check out the end of the vid.
    I agree with Olimpass and Markadiddle. I checked out two La Grange videos, the one posted earlier and this one. Frank's not doing the fill as posted by the tutorial youtube video. If you watch this particular video below, you can actually see the triplet on the double bass drums and snare-tom-snare Olimpass pointed out at the 1:17 mark. Frank's right hand never goes down to the floor tom. I took a screenshot at the point of this fill:

Last edited by late8; 06-16-2014 at 05:16 PM.

User Info Menu

Here's a clip from 1980 where he works down the toms, looks like using only one bass drum for the fill...(1:15) which is probably the way they originally recorded it. Either way works with the same effect IMO.

Last edited by Olimpass; 06-16-2014 at 05:38 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    Here's a clip from 1980 where he works down the toms...(1:15) which is probably the way they originally recorded it. Either way works with the same effect IMO.
    Ya...I agree. Brian Dunne, drummer for "Live at Daryl's House" played that break like the '80s clip (1:20)

Last edited by late8; 06-16-2014 at 05:40 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post

I noticed that too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    What bugs me is that the way I see Frank Beard play it at the 1:48 mark and the way the guy in the second video teach it are completely different.
    [QUOTE=late8;597795]I agree with Olimpass and Markadiddle. I checked out two La Grange videos, the one posted earlier and this one. Frank's not doing the fill as posted by the tutorial youtube video. If you watch this particular video below, you can actually see the triplet on the double bass drums and snare-tom-snare Olimpass pointed out at the 1:17 mark. Frank's right hand never goes down to the floor tom. I took a screenshot at the point of this fill:

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    Here's a clip from 1980 where he works down the toms, looks like using only one bass drum for the fill...(1:15) which is probably the way they originally recorded it. Either way works with the same effect IMO.
    He probably has played it differently live just like many other musicians do, that is, not playing what they've recorded exactly as they did in the studio. All I know is that if you listen to the original recording, there is no double kick going on there. There are also quite a few drum charts you can find and they vary as to what is played, but, I've yet to find one that shows double kick being used. It's a simple triplet alternating between the toms and the kick with a flam thrown in. Once you break it down, it's not really that difficult once you've spent some time working on it. I would just do what you can do and what feels and sounds best as you play it.
    Last edited by inthpktplayer; 06-17-2014 at 06:34 AM.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=inthpktplayer;597847]
    Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I agree with Olimpass and Markadiddle. I checked out two La Grange videos, the one posted earlier and this one. Frank's not doing the fill as posted by the tutorial youtube video. If you watch this particular video below, you can actually see the triplet on the double bass drums and snare-tom-snare Olimpass pointed out at the 1:17 mark. Frank's right hand never goes down to the floor tom. I took a screenshot at the point of this fill:

He probably has played it differently live just like many other musicians do, that is, not playing what they've recorded exactly as they did in the studio. All I know is that if you listen to the original recording, there is no double kick going on there. There are also quite a few drum charts you can find and they vary as to what is played, but, I've yet to find one that shows double kick being used. It's a simple triplet alternating between the toms and the kick with a flam thrown in. Once you break it down, it's not really that difficult once you've spent some time working on it. I would just do what you can do and what feels and sounds best as you play it.
    I totally agree with what you wrote. It just goes to show that even the original artist won't play note for note or for that mater, the studio version. After 34 years of playing La Grange, that signature fill has evolved.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post

Born in Frankston Texas, Beard met guitarist Bill Gibbons in 1969 in a band called “The Moving Sidewalks” and later introduced bassist Dusty Hill who was in three bands with Beard, American Blues, The Warlocks and the Cellar Dwellers.
    When I was a high-schooler in Dallas, we used fake IDs to get into the Cellar (a rock/blues club located in downtown Dallas).............among many others, we used to watch a blues band that consisted of Beard, Dusty Hill and his brother Rusty Hill on guitars...............they were a good band even though we (me and my friends) were more into Deep Purple, Jeff Beck and Cream.

In late 1970, a friend gave me a ticket to a concert in Ft. Worth (I think his date backed out on him)............it was a trio named ZZ Top and I recognized the bass player as the guy from the Cellar............every song they played we had never heard before.

A few weeks later, their first album was released.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Great drummer, band, music and made in the U.S.A. Loved these guys
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 11-17-2016 at 10:49 AM.