Thread: Its a kick port question .... but its not.

User Info Menu

Default Its a kick port question .... but its not.

I don't play kit, but a kick is the closest thing to my samba surdo. They are double headed drums which are tuned with rods which pull against both heads, not the shell. The only reason I mention this is to highlight that the tension on the heads is identical at all times.

Anyway, there we were, parading away, and one of our drummer's resonant head started to split. Now, as the heads are linked, I would expect the batter head to relax and the pitch to drop. It didn't. It went up.

Can anyone explain why? Perhaps when kit drummers chose their ports there are pitch/port size guidelines?
    Last edited by Sir Doh; 06-22-2014 at 01:19 PM. Reason: grammar matters
    Kick drums need deadness Surdos need resonance.
    http://youtu.be/EcF8EpNfMPc

User Info Menu

Default Re: Its a kick port question .... but its not.

Makes sense to me. If the tension on the head is controlled by the same mechanism and tension on one head drops, it should rise on the other.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    Makes sense to me. If the tension on the head is controlled by the same mechanism and tension on one head drops, it should rise on the other.

I think you may need to rethink your thinking, do ya think?

User Info Menu

Maybe. Maybe not.

I guess it's also a possibility that the perceived pitch whent up because the reso became ineffective.

Gimme a break, X. It's Monday.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Weezy, Imagine 2 rubber bands tied to each end of a pencil. One band snaps. What happens to the tension on the other one?
    Kick drums need deadness Surdos need resonance.
    http://youtu.be/EcF8EpNfMPc

User Info Menu

The lack of resonance from the other head probably made it sound more thin and caused it to lose its low end tone. You could percieve that as getting higher in pitch, even if it did get lower in reality.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47