Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: so its come to this

User Info Menu

Default so its come to this

so i guess im forced into buying an e-kit cause im buy a place in the burbs

whats my options ..go all out on a top of the line roland/yamaha or try kill the sound in a room?

User Info Menu

Default Re: so its come to this

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    so i guess im forced into buying an e-kit cause im buy a place in the burbs

whats my options ..go all out on a top of the line roland/yamaha or try kill the sound in a room?
    Foam rubber noise reduction pad set? The ones for the toms and kick work well. Awful on snare though - it will now sound like a flatulent goose. Pads on cymbals - ride almost silent, hats ok if there in nothing between the two cymbals or TOTALLY silent if trhere is, crashes ok - possibly a bit too loud - I compromised by using 14 and 15" thin crashes which aren't particularly loud if played with a bit of care - pads choke cymbal instantly so they don't ring out.
    I use them and have had no complaints from neighbours. I approached my next door neighbour after I'd been playing for 3 months - he didn't know I had a drum kit.

One of the drawbacks is on the infrequent occasions when I play without silencers the volume from my rock kit and cymbals scares me witless.

Cool rods or brushes?

I'd like an ekit but the ones I would like are way too expensive - and I suffer from techno-fear.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crispycritters View Post
    Foam rubber noise reduction pad set? The ones for the toms and kick work well. Awful on snare though - it will now sound like a flatulent goose. Pads on cymbals - ride almost silent, hats ok if there in nothing between the two cymbals or TOTALLY silent if trhere is, crashes ok - possibly a bit too loud - I compromised by using 14 and 15" thin crashes which aren't particularly loud if played with a bit of care - pads choke cymbal instantly so they don't ring out.
    I use them and have had no complaints from neighbours. I approached my next door neighbour after I'd been playing for 3 months - he didn't know I had a drum kit.

One of the drawbacks is on the infrequent occasions when I play without silencers the volume from my rock kit and cymbals scares me witless.

Cool rods or brushes?

I'd like an ekit but the ones I would like are way too expensive - and I suffer from techno-fear.

in the past i taught on an e-kit so not really afraid of them ...just the annoyance of buying a fifth kit or selling one of my kits "children" for a e-kit kind of annoying

User Info Menu

Are you certain that your new neighbors will be annoyed with your drumming? Maybe they will appreciate and like it.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    Are you certain that your new neighbors will be annoyed with your drumming? Maybe they will appreciate and like it.
    Yeah, when you're in the burbs you should have the freedom to play an A-kit. Unless you got a duplex and share a wall or something, or (like me) you like to play at 2am, you should be within your rights to play your A-kit during normal hours without fear of reprisal.

I always think it's the poor buggers in the city that don't have the freedom to play acoustics.

User Info Menu

For you Paul I'd go for the Rolands flagship ekit, the TD30KV. Why? Because you're picky about your gear and by the looks of it, you won't settle for anything less:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    For you Paul I'd go for the Rolands flagship ekit, the TD30KV. Why? Because you're picky about your gear and by the looks of it, you won't settle for anything less:

Late8's got a point, and I'll vouch for the kit, My drum teacher has the TD9 I believe and its amazing. so the TD30 would be even better.
    "I don’t think a drummer should have to show off to get noticed. You’re like the conductor of a train. You keep the train on the tracks – let everybody else worry about everything else.” -Nathan Followill.

Grear List
    Cymbals: Zildjian K
    15" Light Hi Hats
    14" Hi Hats
    18" Dark Thin Crash
    19" Dark Thin Crash
    22" Light Ride
    Drum Kit: Gretsch Catalina Maple
    12/14/20
    Snare: Ludwig
    Epic 14"x5.5 Soon to be upgraded.

Keep the Peace!

User Info Menu

Electronic kits are not bad, just a little different from acoustic kits.

You might buy an inexpensive electronic kit. Just tell yourself that it's a practice kit.

User Info Menu

Because you're picky about your gear
    well you know me

User Info Menu

I prefer the Yamaha's and the new TCS pads are great.
    We Have nothing to fear but Reefs and Pirates

I tried taking life seriously, didn't much like it so now what I take seriously is living

User Info Menu

guess ill have to wait and see if my neighbors are cool with an a-kit

User Info Menu

Have you considered an a to e conversion? I have owned the Roland Td 30 and it is beautiful but if you want real sounding drum sounds, a 2 Box module is the way to go! I thought the Td 30 was all that until I played 2 box. No comparison! I Sold my Roland's a year ago and never looked back. I bought my triggers from the most knowledgable e drum guy I know. Jman, from Stealth drums.com, but there are a lot of others out there . Pintech is making a great crossbar internal mount trigger as well. I wouldn't mess with the external choices from Roland or ddrum.I hear they have mistrigger problems. I have heard a lot of complaints about them. You could comvert your present kit without drilling any holes or hurting the shells in any way . Mesh heads, internal triggers, cymbal triggers that can be Velcro mounted to your current cymbals( I bought a cheap set of Sabians and drilled to mount ) and your done. Or you could buy E cymbals from many different sources like Triggera, Pintech, or 2 box if you go the 2 box route or Yamaha or Roland if you buy there modules. The possibilities are endless. You will be playing on real acoustic shells that look the part and the sounds are awesome . If you don't want to touch your current acoustic kit, you could even buy a clean cheap set of shells used and trigger them. A couple of places in the Us to get the 2box module are RMC Audio in Tennesee and Cymbalism in Hawaii. They list for 1099 but I have been quoted 950. Good luck!
    Last edited by hemiboy; 06-17-2014 at 08:45 AM.

User Info Menu

Is it just me, or does anyone else actually consider e kits to be a totally different instrument to a kits? Sure, we appear to play them in the same way, but, in reality, the feel, sound and, therefore, the way we actually play each instrument is quite different. Of course, a common use of e kits is to overcome some noise issues that are an occupational hazard for us drummers, but, when used beyond this situation, I consider them a different instrument that can compliment or provide an alternative to a kits. A good example of this in practice is Peart's setup where he has some electronics within his a kit but his e kit is a different thing altogether.
    PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |

User Info Menu

Are you moving into a single family dwelling or some type of duplex/multi-tenant residence? If the former, unless the houses are really close together you should be fine playing an acoustic kit. I live in the midwest so I am kind of lucky as far as distance between houses go - I have been to areas on the east and west coast where the houses are so close together that you can pick your neighbors nose - nice houses too.

I have my acoustic gear in our unfinished basement (another benefit of the midwest - we have basements) and have had a full rock band playing loudly. I have asked neighbors if they can hear us when we play and no one has complained or even knew I was a drummer!

The only things I have done to improve or control sound is hang up large quilts in the front of my kit and on both sides of my kit - it softens the echos present in the basement. Even my wife and kid when on the second floor of the house don't complain about the noise - although I did invest in a pair of nice noise reducing head phones for them, they barely use them!

If you do have to go the e-kit route I would be torn as to what to buy. On one hand I would want an excellent e-kit with all of the whistles and bells but on the other hand I would fear that the whistles and bells I bought would be outdated within a year or so. I dunno.

User Info Menu

it is a house so maybe i can change a few walls or something

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatDrummer View Post
    Is it just me, or does anyone else actually consider e kits to be a totally different instrument to a kits? Sure, we appear to play them in the same way, but, in reality, the feel, sound and, therefore, the way we actually play each instrument is quite different.
    No. They are indeed completely different to play. They may work fine for some but not for playing concerts or professionally. Practice at best.
    Steve
    "When I can match Buddy Rich, lick for lick, I will get a rack."
    Ludwig Super Classic

User Info Menu

If your new home has a basement you should be fine it all would depend where you would play. or what you do to the room to sound proof it so you can keep your acoustic set.
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

im in Australia no basements here

User Info Menu

When I moved into my new house a year ago, I was afraid I'd be annoying my neighbors while playing. As I was moving in, I met several of them and told them flat out that I played. I went on to tell them if I'm ever too loud or it's bugging them to let me know. My neighbors have been totally cool about it. I even had one of the teenage kids next door ask me if I wanted to jam with him and his buddies in their garage sometime. I'm still considering it, but I'm not exactly into their style of music.

Anyway, my point is, you never know until you meet your neighbors and get their opinion. Who knows, they might like it.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikeRoyale View Post
    another benefit of the midwest - we have basements
    Yeah, but your basements are there to prevent you from getting sucked up into a tornado. I think that mitigates any musical benefit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bierp View Post
    Yeah, but your basements are there to prevent you from getting sucked up into a tornado. I think that mitigates any musical benefit.
    I am not sure that the PURPOSE of the basements are to protect us from tornadoes but they do serve that purpose, true. Although in the 40+ years that I have lived in the midwest I can count on one hand the number of times I have had to use the basement as a storm shelter. A very common misconception is that we have tornadoes all the time in the midwest, truth is they are very rare. Many tornadoes touch down in unincorporated areas (read: middle of nowhere) and do not last very long at all. There has been one major tornado hit Kansas City in the last 75 years and that one was in the suburbs. I think, with no proof to offer, that earthquakes in California are more common than tornadoes in the Midwest...

MM
    Last edited by MikeRoyale; 06-19-2014 at 11:33 AM. Reason: spelin

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikeRoyale View Post
    I think, with no proof to offer, that earthquakes in California are more common than tornadoes in the Midwest...

MM
    Maybe in southern California. I can tell you, in the 45 years my wife has lived here in the Sacramento area, she said she has never experienced an earthquake.

When I lived in the midwest, all basements were for was storage, a man cave or taking shelter from bad storms. I think I remember heading to the basement three times in my entire life because of a tornado.
    Stolen from EddieV:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    I even had one of the teenage kids next door ask me if I wanted to jam with him and his buddies in their garage sometime. I'm still considering it, but I'm not exactly into their style of music.
    Hey, I'll jam with them...hook me up?

User Info Menu

Hey, I'll jam with them...hook me up?
    If you're into blast beats and death metal, sure, I'll hook ya up brother!
    Stolen from EddieV:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    it is a house so maybe i can change a few walls or something
    How close together are the houses? Will your house have a basement? I've got neighbors around me I'd say 300 to 400 feet away , my kit is in the basement, they never hear a thing. I'd stick with acoustic drums if possible. I had Yamaha's top of the line e kit around 7 years ago. It sounded great but it was nothing like playing a real set of drums. I'll never play one again.
    Last edited by NPYYZ; 06-22-2014 at 01:59 PM.