Thread: Premier XPK complete re-skinning advice!

User Info Menu

Question Premier XPK complete re-skinning advice!

Hello, first time poster here!

Looking to re-skin my entire Premier XPK fusion kit soon.. (10", 12", 14" toms, 14" snare and 22" kick, and a random 13" or 14" pearl (export?) tom).

I mainly play metal, amongst a bit of blues/hiphop, and everything really.. Quite a hard hitter , but I like to have a lot of dynamic range when playing. Any suggestions? I've been told to maybe go for EG2's over G1s which I'm considering for the toms.. Cheers for any help in advance!

+ Anyone have any experience with the TAMA silverstar? Thinking of getting a new kit soon, as this one has seen better days, hence the re-skinning.

ALSO, if I have posted this in the wrong section, please direct me there.

Thanks!

louismac
    Last edited by louismac; 06-16-2014 at 03:32 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Premier XPK complete re-skinning advice!

Welcome to the forum louismac. EC2 clears over G1 clears is an excellent choice. I've used this combination with much success over the years.

User Info Menu

That's good to know! Would they go well on the snare and kick drum too?

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by louismac View Post
    That's good to know! Would they go well on the snare and kick drum too?

Thanks!
    Snare, I'd go coated Evans G2 coated/Hazy 300 on snare side. Kick- I'd go Aquarian SKII with Remo PowerStroke 3 Ebony resonance

User Info Menu

Talking Re: Premier XPK complete re-skinning advice!

Ah nice, I've been recommended a few of them before. For all those on Amazon the basket totals £150 which is bang on my budget. I'll let you know if and when I get the kit set up, and how it sounds...

Appreciate the help!

User Info Menu

My head set up on my XPK was clear Pinstripes over clear Ambassadors. The Pins helped to tame some of the bright high end of the birch hybrid shells. If your XPK isn't cosmetically beat up then I would hang onto it. It is a better kit than the Hyperdrive if it comes from the Made in England era. Premier always used Baltic birch in their shells and in the XPK used Eucalyptus, which is a species of hard gumwood, for the center plies with birch inner and outer plies. The result was a loud,bright,and very impressive sounding drum set.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

Post EMADs do okay too

You can go for EMADs for the batter --- then Ebony Powerstroke 3 for the resonant

Here's some sound clips of mine:

For the first video --- I'm pretty sure I was using a generic headset mic for this. (I seem to have missed putting it on the video!)

For the second video I used:
    Mic: Audix i5 (behind the kit at 4 feet high pointed towards the kit)
    Audio Interface: Line6 UX1
    Software: Line6 Pod Farm (for preamps) & Audacity

Kick details: Premier XPK 20" Kick - EMAD Batter (the wider diameter muffler has been stuck on
    there)...and an Ebony Powerstroke 3 as resonant (with a vent hole off center
    cut-off)

Nothing else in the kick. No pillows, blankets...or egg crates.

Details on the rest of the kit:
    • Snare: 10-ply 14" Maple Piccolo Snare (3 1/2 inch deep lacquerd Keller Shell with Ludwig Hardware), Ambassadors on the top (coated) and bottom (clear)
    • Premier XPK 10" Tom - Evans G2 Clear, Premier clear stock resonant
      head (one-ply)
    • Premier XPK 14" Tom - Evans G2 Coated, Premier clear stock resonant head (one-ply)
    • Saluda 14" Mist-X Hats
    • Saluda 20" Mist-X Ride
    • Sabian 16" HHX Evolution Crash

Hope the sounds and the additional information helps! :D BTW, they are REALLY old G2s.
    Last edited by l_e_i_g_h; 10-17-2014 at 11:09 AM.

User Info Menu

Snare batter G2 may be a bit much, EC with center dot gives you a little ring control without muffling the sticks.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

This