Thread: Advise on new heads...

User Info Menu

Default Advise on new heads...

I want to change up the heads on all of my drums this weekend (except the kick drum) and am looking for something new. I have always played Evans G2 coated batters and Remo Ambassador resos. I play classic rock, grungie stuff and old R&B. Any ideas for me? I am not looking for a specific sound I just want to mix things up a bit without p1ssing off the guys I jam with :-)

I also have a question regarding tuning. Since I will be replacing all of my heads this weekend I will get to tune everything up. I have been taught to tune in 4ths (forgive my ignorance if that is not the correct term) so for example using the song "Here Comes the Bride" my 16" floor tom is tuned to the "Here comes" part and my 14" tom would be tuned to "the bride" part. I know many many of you did not need that example :-) By using this method to tune is it preferred that I start on my 16" tom and work down my toms, tuning the snare last? That seems the most intuitive to me but I have never had to tune all my drums at the same time. When I bought my kit a buddy came over and helped me tune everything. When I have my toms tuned in 4ths they really sound "musicee" if that makes sense and absolutely sing - if anyone has suggestions re. different tuning ideas or can verify that my tuning order is correct it would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

MM
    Last edited by MikeRoyale; 06-26-2014 at 11:38 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Advise on new heads...

You might want to try a G2 or Emperor non coated if you are looking for that R&B sound. I dunno. I've always been finicky about my heads.
    Kits:

2014 Gretsch Catalina Club Classic 4pc Ocean Twilight Sparkle 8x12, 14x5.5, 14x14, 14x20

1976 Ludwig Classic 6pc Black Diamond Pearl (Restoration in progress)

Saluda Cymbals:

13" Symbolic Prototype Hand Hammered Jazz Hi Hats
    20" Earthworks Medium Crash/Ride
    15" Mist X Crash
    8" Decadence China Blast Splash

16" Rancan China

User Info Menu

I use the Aquarian Focus-X coated batters and the Remo Emperor clear on the reso's...On my snare, I use several different combinations... the one Im using now for Classic Country and 50s rock is the Aquarian Focus-X coated and the Remo Black Suede 5 mil snare side head and its a small room (seats approx 100). Normally, I play the Aquarian Studio-X on the batter side...I love that 5 mil Remo Black Suede snare side reso head. My snare wires are the Puresound Equalizer 12 wire set ( 6 wires per side ).
    Your snare wire set up and tension will affect your snare sound to a noticeable degree.
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

I also tune in 4ths and it seems to work in every context. When tuning up after changing the heads, I would start with the 16" to make sure that you don't tune too low. For example: if you found a good pitch from the 10, 12 or 14 and went down from there, you risk tuning too low and not being able to tune the 16" to a perfect 4th below the 14" without sacrificing sound quality.
    Last edited by Mike_L; 06-26-2014 at 11:18 PM.
    Drums:
    Ludwig Classic Maple
    Tama Starclassic Performer

Cymbals:
    20" K ride
    20" K custom dry ride
    16" A custom crash
    14" New Beat hats
    14" K custom dark crash
    Ensembles
    Oregon Crusaders (DCI) 09 - bass 4
    OC Indoor (WGI) '10 - Snare 3rd place PIO
    OC Indoor (WGI) '11 - Snare PIW FINALIST!
    University of Oregon marching band '09 '10 '11 - Snare

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
    I also tune in 4ths and it seems to work in every context. When tuning up after changing the heads, I would start with the 16" to make sure that you don't tune to low. For example: if you found a good pitch from the 10, 12 or 14 and went down from there, you risk tuning too low and not being able to tune the 16" to a perfect 4th below the 14" without sacrificing sound quality.
    Awesome advise thanks Mike!

User Info Menu

Experimentation will help dictate what you like. I prefer Remo pinstripes over the G2's. Otherwise, you can go on Evans' site and read comparisons on their other heads as compared to the G2's.
    Steve
    "When I can match Buddy Rich, lick for lick, I will get a rack."
    Ludwig Super Classic

User Info Menu

As boring as this sounds, your current setup is probably most versatile for what you want to do. The Emporer (in your case I'd probably go with clear) over Ambassador or G2/G1 is the classic head combo that works with just about everything. I know you said you want to try something new but I bet you'll be back to this combo in a year.

You could try pinstripes on top. I never thought they were as dead sounding as some people say. The clears actually have some nice ring to them when tuned up a bit. Just don't tune them too low/loose. That's when you get the dead, flappy, boxy sound some people get with pins.

Changing it up is fun. I started with Emps/Ambs, tried a lot of different heads and ended up back with coated Emps/clear Ambs. I guess there's a reason that combo is so popular - it's hard to beat the sound. Had a good time exploring all the different heads though.
    Gretsch Renown
    Ludwig Supraphonic
    Zildjian
    15”, 16”, 18” K Dark Thin
    16”, 18” K Sweet
    16" A Custom EFX
    20" K Custom Dark Ride
    22” 60’s A Ride
    14" 50's Thin hats
    14” K Sweet hats

User Info Menu

I'd suggest clear Emperors over clear Ambassadors. It's similar to what you have, and if you don't like it, the resonant heads are what you normally use.

I usually tune the bottom heads first, starting with the lowest tom. I tune that drum as low as it can go while still sounding right. I don't know if it's 4ths or whatever (it probably is), and it depends on how many toms are in the configuration, but I go up from the lowest, and I check them all on the way up so it makes some sort of scale. Then I flip them over and do the batter heads the same way.