Thread: Mel Taylor

User Info Menu

Default Mel Taylor

Mel Taylor (September 24, 1933 – August 11, 1996) was the longtime drummer for The Ventures from 1962 to 1996. He was the older brother of Canned Heat bassist Larry Taylor.

Mel Taylor, Sandy Nelson, and Hal Blaine ( although back in the '60's few people knew who Hal Blaine was as the backing groups, like the Wrecking Crew, seldom had their names mentioned in the liner notes) probably started more kids on the drums than any other drummers, with the possible exception of Buddy, Gene, and Louis.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Mel Taylor

cool, thanks for that Rick! dig the Ventures though never caught any live footage. Mels got some nice chops, ahh! the last generation to know how to do a decent press roll!
    don't put off till tomorrow what you can put off today

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by onegourd View Post
    cool, thanks for that Rick! dig the Ventures though never caught any live footage. Mels got some nice chops, ahh! the last generation to know how to do a decent press roll!
    Have you seen any of the newer drum corps videos? They completely blow away what I was playing back in those days...................it could be me, but I don't think technique is going anywhere........in fact it's getting better IMO

User Info Menu

Mel Taylor was a great drummer. He was a solid drummer with chops. He could do it all.
    His version of "WipeOut" to me is the best. I grew up listening to him. He was a big influence on me and he's part of my drumming style and sound. Thanks Mel.

User Info Menu

Wow Rick, I forgot about them, as a matter of fact I have a Ventures album (vinyl) and a Sandy Nelson album (vinyl) somewhere in my house. If I wasn't mistaken the Ventures album I have, had a girl in a gold bikini or there was something with gold on it.

User Info Menu

Really showing my age now ain't I Rick.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderjig View Post
    Really showing my age now ain't I Rick.

Yeah, you are, but remember 96 is the new 95, so I wouldn't worry about it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie View Post
    His version of "WipeOut" to me is the best.
    Is this the version you're talking about?

Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Yes, that is the version that I like. I like the way he structured the song and his snare work. When I play wipe out, I use his structure, simlar snare ideas and I add a touch of a Sandy Nelson feel. What I also do is just when you think I am going to break into a drum fill, the lead guitar does some kind of solo (surf type of solo) then back to the chorus and I do a few more fills and end. From what I observe the audience gets a kick out of the song and the band members get excited. You can rock it up with triplets, funk, I have done it and it all works within the songs structure. Its just one of those tunes that get peoples attention. That is a song that offers you alot of freedom to express yourself.
    Last edited by Jackie; 04-09-2015 at 08:28 AM.