Thread: Drum Cam Studio footage

User Info Menu

Default Drum Cam Studio footage

I still have vids I'm sitting on from the last studio session I did with the band. This is from September 2013. This is probably our heaviest song and one that is quite taxing on me b/c of the double kick.

For those that don't remember, don't know, or don't care...my studio set up was house drums (Pearl Vision, I think) 22, 12, 16. With my 13x6.5" Tama Artwood maple snare, my hardware and cymbals.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum Cam Studio footage

Wow!! Cool video Mark! I'm glad you posted it up. The kick sounds triggered? If not, how did you get that sound? What did you use to quell the overtones during the double bass drum strokes?

User Info Menu

Good playing, nice and solid.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Wow!! Cool video Mark! I'm glad you posted it up. The kick sounds triggered? If not, how did you get that sound? What did you use to quell the overtones during the double bass drum strokes?
    Thanks guys.

Rich, we didn't trigger the kick. Honestly, I'm not sure how the engineer gets that sound. He adds the trigger sound in post. The heads are EMAD on that kick and it sounds how you'd expect a kick drum withe EMADS to sound.

He went heavy on the attack last time and I told him to do the same this time b/c I liked that triggered sound he came up with back in 2011.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    Thanks guys.

Rich, we didn't trigger the kick. Honestly, I'm not sure how the engineer gets that sound. He adds the trigger sound in post. The heads are EMAD on that kick and it sounds how you'd expect a kick drum withe EMADS to sound.

He went heavy on the attack last time and I told him to do the same this time b/c I liked that triggered sound he came up with back in 2011.
    Thanks Mark....the post production work sounds great. Not only did the bass drum sound awesome but when you go down to the floor tom...sounds like rolling thunder....good stuff man. Too bad you guys aren't together right now...but maybe one day huh??

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Thanks Mark....the post production work sounds great. Not only did the bass drum sound awesome but when you go down to the floor tom...sounds like rolling thunder....good stuff man. Too bad you guys aren't together right now...but maybe one day huh??
    I absolutely loved the drum sound. Those toms were incredible.

Maybe some day again. Never say never.

User Info Menu

marko...

The heavy stuff is not typically my cup of tea... But I am diggin this cause it grooves! I will take that over blast beats any day. Good stuff... enjoyed listening/watching!
    Gretsch Renown RN1 ~ Silver Oyster Pearl

User Info Menu

Marko, you were dead on through the entire song. Well done!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Enjoyed it just, not into cookie monster sorry but must say your playing was very well done

User Info Menu

Thanks fellas. Over the year or maybe two leading up to this recording I became much more focused on playing groove stuff rather than being technical with a ton of fills. I enjoy technical playing but the fact of the matter is I'm not very good at it b/c I don't get a chance to practice as often as I'd like or should.

I started to really focus on guys like Jimmy Bower from Down, and of course Vinnie Paul Abbott has always been one of my favorites.

But what really had a tremendous impact on how I tracked this album, believe it or not, was the new Avenged Sevenfold album. Their drummer's playing on there is so powerful and groove oriented. A complete 180* from where Jimmy Sullivan was with his playing. I bought that CD about a month before we went to the studio.

For anyone interested here are the other vids I've put together from this studio session thus far. I've posted these here before but that was a while back.

Breathe Life drum cam:

I Left My Heart In Dixie (Official Vid):

I Left My Heart In Dixie DRUM CAM:

Reborn (Official Vid):

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    I still have vids I'm sitting on from the last studio session I did with the band. This is from September 2013. This is probably our heaviest song and one that is quite taxing on me b/c of the double kick.
    I liked the whole video and like the Pastor this is not my genre but your playing was really fun to listen to and watch.

I loved the beat that started at about the 1:20 mark and the setup into it - cool cool stuff. THIS is the kind of beat I was thinking about when I started the Beat of the Day thread - this one will be on the list!

MM

User Info Menu

Thanks Mike. Ya that's a fairly simple riff there. The fills at 1:26 and 1:39 I had to shift on the fly. I had something there that was much more technical but just wasn't working in the studio that day. I hadn't practiced any of the songs on this album for about 2 months. I had broke my foot in June of 13 and we didn't practice at all until about a week before the studio.

So I literally went in to the studio cold, with almost no rehearsal, having NEVER played these songs with the click track and got to work. It was challenging, and at times frustrating. There are things I'd like to be a little cleaner or tighter, but such is life.

User Info Menu

Mike, I'm gonna post the raw clip from that section of vid for you Monday.