Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drumming in the blood?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drumming in the blood?

An old school mate of mine is definitely from a musical family. Steve has been running his Dad's local piano tuning business now for well over a decade or so....he and I go from way back....primary school in fact. He's one of many siblings in the family....the two oldest brothers Michael and Jeff...never been interested in music at all. But Steve went into playing piano courtesy of his Dad, Tony, who started the piano tuning business here when he emigrated from Holland all those years ago. Tony then by default became our town's church organist. David, the next youngest brother (one year younger) took up drums (just like one of the family's uncles, Alphonse), whilst Chris did trumpet, cornet and I believe he learned flugelhorn as well. I don't think Phillip, the youngest brother, took up any instrument seriously. And Alison played flute and piano for a while. Their home has also for many years been where a Dutch society folk dancing group rehearses, so not surprisingly both Steve and his Dad play piano accordion.

Now this is were it gets crazy. I knew of Steve's relatives living nearby them, but I didn't realise how tight knit and close they meant until my folks and I rented a place on the same street as Steve and his family. We lived on No. 15 on that street, whilst Steve and his family lived on No. 42. Now, Steve's cousin Jason and his family, including Uncle Alphonse, the drummer, lived right next door to them at No.40! And that one was a musical family too, because his Dad was a drummer, Jason played trumpet (and I think he took up bass for a while before giving up on all that musical stuff), one of his brothers played tuba and another brass instrument (can't exactly remember what now) and a sister played guitar, flute and I think she was a singer too. Now.....crazier still...another bunch of relatives lived a short walk up from them, and on my side of the street! And once again.....yup you guessed it, more musicians in that lot.....I think another pianist and woodwind players, and they like the others were all big families. And to complete the circle, years later when renting, of all places I ended up living at what was formerly David's place before he and the family packed up and moved to the South Coast....which happened to be right next door to the piano tuning business Tony and Steve run, in the two large garages at the back of an aunt's place....so I'd be hearing them tune pianos whilst they'd hear me whack drums with my students and friends!

Also, Steve's Dad and my Dad have been acolytes at our local Catholic church for decades. Them plus Cor (Cornelius), the Dad of another Dutch music bud of mine, Justin. And I've been in bands with both of these guys, just at separate times, although we've all been in the same church youth group years and years back. No wonder why I never bothered planning a trip to the Netherlands....it's been practically in my periphery since I can remember!

Sometimes, it is a very small world indeed.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drumming in the blood?

Now that is just crazy.... but very cool!!! I love stories like that. I feel like music is so important, every family should try to partake in it in some way.

In my opinion, music really helps kids that have extra energy that need to focus on something else. It puts their mind at ease and helps them concentrate better in school. Growing up, you never heard of any of my bandmates flunking a course in school or not doing well. Music instills creativity and passion... I am not saying other things don't.. I just think music definitely is in a league of it's own.
    Kits:

2014 Gretsch Catalina Club Classic 4pc Ocean Twilight Sparkle 8x12, 14x5.5, 14x14, 14x20

1976 Ludwig Classic 6pc Black Diamond Pearl (Restoration in progress)

Saluda Cymbals:

13" Symbolic Prototype Hand Hammered Jazz Hi Hats
    20" Earthworks Medium Crash/Ride
    15" Mist X Crash
    8" Decadence China Blast Splash

16" Rancan China