Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Road Runner 38" Rolling Hardware Bag Review

User Info Menu

Default Re: Road Runner 38" Rolling Hardware Bag Review

Late8, does the zipper have plastic teeth? If so take the bag to a shoe repair place and have them put in a heavy duty brass zipper.
    “I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.”

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PopsOldSkins View Post
    Late8, does the zipper have plastic teeth? If so take the bag to a shoe repair place and have them put in a heavy duty brass zipper.
    Yes, the teeth are plastic. Great idea Pops! I'll look into the cost of replacing the entire zipper with something heavier like brass. Thanks!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Yes, the teeth are plastic. Great idea Pops! I'll look into the cost of replacing the entire zipper with something heavier like brass. Thanks!!

Another place you could look at doing this is a boat repair shop of all places. Back when I had a Jeep Wrangler, I had to get the zippers replaced on my soft-top "windows" every couple of years due to them shrinking in cold weather. The local boat repair shop did this for me, and I think that it cost about $25 to replace the zipper in a window. Lots of boat repair shops not only focus on mechanics but they do upholstery as well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crispycritters View Post
    That zipper tab doesn't look very strong to me to me considering that the bag is supposed to accommodate heavy equipment - a bit crappy all things considered. If you intend keeping the bag I would use a couple of cable ties wrapped in gaffer tape in place of the zipper tab. Does the bag come with any type of warranty? Unless you find it really useful I would try returning it for refund.
    Yes, it has a limited 1 year warranty but the shipping cost to return it to the vendor will cost half of what it's worth.
    Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    Hey Rich, your fly is open!

I really hope that close up is of the bag, and not your black jeans...

Great products can be undermined by a single weak link. That zipper tab is ridiculous. BUT I would rather have that be the point of failure and not the mechanism or the tracks. I would bet you can connect a stronger pull tab or small chain to make that workable. No excuse for them installing an inferior part, but knowing your creativity, I would bet that the fix will be better than the original.

..or you could fail miserably. I'm kinda 50/50 on how it will go... (j/k)
    hahaha..Yeah man..had my fly open the entire 1st set at a gig last year. Nobody noticed anything out of the ordinary . I like the idea of the soft bag though...

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    That's a great idea.
    Yep, sounds like a great idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    That must weigh a ton all loaded up.
    Yes sir, it did in fact proved to be too heavy with cymbal stands so I opted to use a pipe rack for the gig over the weekend and I lightened the load inside the bag with just a hihat stand and a few loose items. It worked out much easier to break the rack down one piece at a time. I was able to drive up to the front door of the venue to unload/load the gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    late8, you need two bags for all that hardware or try the golf case like Marko has. I found one at the local Goodwill on the cheap.
    Thanks for that idea Olimpass but I found that having a soft hardware bag has its advantages when loading it into the trunk of my car. I was able to "stuff" the bag down into it since the load was rather light. Had it been a hard case, I might of had to take a larger vehicle.

User Info Menu

Ya, that's the downside to the golf case I use, Rich. It's long. So it takes up a lot of space.

User Info Menu

Ya, that's the downside to the golf case I use, Rich. It's long. So it takes up a lot of space.
    I love the idea of the golf case.

User Info Menu

I love the idea of the golf case.
    Me too. It worked well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by porkpieguy View Post
    Another place you could look at doing this is a boat repair shop of all places. Back when I had a Jeep Wrangler, I had to get the zippers replaced on my soft-top "windows" every couple of years due to them shrinking in cold weather. The local boat repair shop did this for me, and I think that it cost about $25 to replace the zipper in a window. Lots of boat repair shops not only focus on mechanics but they do upholstery as well.
    Thanks Martin!! I'll start looking into this!! You guys are awesome!!

User Info Menu

Not the best picture of my SKB case. Look behind my grandson. I opted for the rectangular hard case. It holds everything I might need except the saddle off my RocnSoc and when fully packed can guarantee a hernia.

It has a retractable handle and hard wheels like your but mine has straps instead of zippers. DUH.

It is easily taken up and down stairs due to the rails on the back side. It's served me well for 6 + years at this point. When at a gig I can stand it on end as a table or lay it on its back and serve many purposes.

I highly endorse this item but it isn't the cheapest on the block. I'll try to get better pictures when I get home. Currently it's full of stand and I have guitars stacked in cases on top of it.

As far as tear down, I only have to break the stands in half and it is very convenient for holding a gigs worth of gear.

Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Not the best picture of my SKB case. Look behind my grandson. I opted for the rectangular hard case. It holds everything I might need except the saddle off my RocnSoc and when fully packed can guarantee a hernia.

It has a retractable handle and hard wheels like your but mine has straps instead of zippers. DUH.

It is easily taken up and down stairs due to the rails on the back side. It's served me well for 6 + years at this point. When at a gig I can stand it on end as a table or lay it on its back and serve many purposes.

I highly endorse this item but it isn't the cheapest on the block. I'll try to get better pictures when I get home. Currently it's full of stand and I have guitars stacked in cases on top of it.

As far as tear down, I only have to break the stands in half and it is very convenient for holding a gigs worth of gear.

Cute li'l guy!! Love his smile!!

User Info Menu

That's a great idea.
    If you want to get really fnacy just put the zip ties in some heat shrink tubing and after you get them to the length that you want just use a hair dryer to shrink the tubing. I've had to do this before and it works great. Just remember to use heavy gauge tubing. The thicker that the tubing is the longer it will last. You probably will want to cut rhe zip ties with nail clippers. This will will elinate the sharp edges that you can get if you cut the ties with the usual snips.

User Info Menu

Bumping this review up for an update. The second zipper finally broke during my last gig. I now have to take time to find a shop that can replace the plastic zipper with a brass one that was suggested by one of our helpful members here on DC. Meanwhile, I ordered an "open box" (aka blemished) 36" SKB rolling hardware case. Should of, would of, could of...This will be my LAST RoadRunner product I'll ever buy!!

User Info Menu

You could always throw a couple zip ties through the loop part of the zipper, unless the zipper is completely non functional. I've had that happen where the tab part has broken off and that was my quick fix.

Man, you just can't catch a break! First the Gretsch USA kit, then the Pork Pie bass hoop, now this! Sheesh!
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

I've done that too. Zipper tabs broke on my Tama cymbal bag very early on.

User Info Menu

I could never spend the time breaking down and setting up stands all the way like you do Late. I use the SKB hardcase and it fits everything with ease including my rack. I pack it all up into one case. But break down and setup is so easy with the rack. I don't fold any cymbal stands or collapse anything but my throne and hi-hat stand. The rest just packs in the case. But the downfall is the case is longer to fit the rack but luckily our band has a nice big trailer to fit it in.

User Info Menu

I'm getting into the Bahamian way of moving stuff. Just toss it all into an open pick up and drive away. They don't even remove the cymbals from the stands or anything!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    You could always throw a couple zip ties through the loop part of the zipper, unless the zipper is completely non functional. I've had that happen where the tab part has broken off and that was my quick fix.

Man, you just can't catch a break! First the Gretsch USA kit, then the Pork Pie bass hoop, now this! Sheesh!
    When this bag arrived, I already knew by the feel of the material, the zipper tabs would be the first to go. I was thinking "Cheap backpack material". The canvas material is thin and flimsy.

Zip ties would do the trick for now but I can already see where the actual zipper track looks as though it's ready to split apart. I don't gig too often and this bag should of held up to the rigors of a weekend warrior. If you look back, the items you've mentioned were recently produced within a few years ago. I've got cardboard Anvil drum cases that I dug out of a dumpster that have better build quality than the canvas bags produced today. What gives?

I've done that too. Zipper tabs broke on my Tama cymbal bag very early on.
    This is unacceptable in my humble opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I could never spend the time breaking down and setting up stands all the way like you do Late. I use the SKB hardcase and it fits everything with ease including my rack. I pack it all up into one case. But break down and setup is so easy with the rack. I don't fold any cymbal stands or collapse anything but my throne and hi-hat stand. The rest just packs in the case. But the downfall is the case is longer to fit the rack but luckily our band has a nice big trailer to fit it in.
    Well it's what you get when you go with an something sub $100 in cost. The SKB 36" rolling hardware case I got coming at the end of the week will accommodate my stands.

Included on the order are three more SKB 24" rolling cymbal vaults. I was impressed with the one I ordered last year, I need three more to accommodate the full sets of Paiste Rudes, Sabian AAXs and Zildjians I have sitting around in the open air, inside the garage. A set of HHX's always sit on the kit that's set up at home. I'll feel so much better when the cymbal vaults arrive. I've invested too much money in cymbals for them to be sitting around in the open

Along with the SKB 36" rolling hardware case, will come the SKB medium rolling hardware box. This should be the final piece needed to keep my throne, throne stand, snare stand and pedals together in one case.

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    I'm getting into the Bahamian way of moving stuff. Just toss it all into an open pick up and drive away. They don't even remove the cymbals from the stands or anything!

all the best...
    Going next with the purchase of SKB Roto cases for the 5pc. Gretsch USA Custom kit. This should finish off my upgrade to all SKB

Last edited by late8; 03-31-2015 at 04:50 PM.

User Info Menu

This is unacceptable in my humble opinion.
    You know, Rich, it probably is unacceptable. But at least in my case, the bag I bought was fairly cheap. I wasn't too worried about it. Zipper tabs break, especially on cheap bags. Couple of zip ties and I was back in business. The bag, structurally, held up for my entire tenure as a gigging drummer of nearly 10 years. And as you know from my pics...that bag was FULL and HEAVY...as I use quite a few cymbals.

User Info Menu

looks like my setup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    looks like my setup

Sweet!!!