Thread: wipe out

User Info Menu

Cool wipe out

what are some of your favorite ways to kick off and end wipe out.

User Info Menu

......................huh?

I wiped out on a 4 wheeler once.. it was funny..

oh i just love that smilie! its my favorite!!
    Last edited by Lezzledrummer; 08-16-2006 at 11:21 PM.
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

If in any way I show signs of stupidity or lack of intellegence, this is why:

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

You know, I've never learned that song. By this time in my drumming career, i should know that thing inside and out, forward and backward. I think I'll work on it today!
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Default wipe out

You mean there's an ending to that song?

As a hand drummer, I usually play all the solo parts when I've played it with other bands...so what I do is play one or more of the drums for the solo (rather than the set player); First break, solo on the small bongo, second break, solo on the large bongo, etc...and at the end (on the recorded version) I go berserk, so to speak, and wrap it up with some kind of ending that involves any or all of the hand drums...but I don't think I've ever ended it the same way twice!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

i've nvr actually played wipeout on drums...i have on trumpet though...prolly not as fun on trumpet..

User Info Menu

Wipeout? Whose it by?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillip latimer
    what are some of your favorite ways to kick off and end wipe out.
    I'd rather take a bullet to the head!

User Info Menu

Seriously, give 'em what they want to hear. Play it like the record and then you can change it up a bit near the end. If you start makin' it too crazy in the beginning, it ruins it for the audience.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markis441
    Wipeout? Whose it by?
    The Ventures.

User Info Menu

Cool wipe out

thanks guys i've heard it done alot of differant ways, and almost every club
    I've played people make request for it.

User Info Menu

Default wipe out

"Wipeout" was a hit in the summer of 1963 for the Surfaris... (too bad I couldn't wire in that laugh at the beginning!)

BTW, philip, I have played with one group who played for a group of special-education people on several occasions, and there wasn't a night that went by that someone in that special ed group yelled, "play 'WIPEOUT!'" I really sharpened my chops on the congas with that group...

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

I was always told that it was The Ventures' hit even though the Surfaris had their version. After further research, it seems that the Surfaris had it out first but there's some controversy about who wrote it. Either way, it was a hit for both bands. The Surfaris' version (drum part) was simpler and the Ventures' took it to another level.

I found some Wipeout links online for those of you that want to check it out:

Safaris:
    http://www.jimfacey.com/The%20Surfar...%20Wipeout.mp3

Ventures:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1GVo...earch=ventures

User Info Menu

We do the Ventures version of Wipeout and try to mix it up a little. It's always a crowd pleaser.

User Info Menu

ive been playing that song for a long time. i dont think i play it that well but i alwasy get a good reaction to it. the funniest thing is to see the girls shake there *** to it
    max

User Info Menu

Default wipe out

Hey, thunderdome...I've seen some people shake every part of their body during the "Wipeout" drum solos...including parts you don't expect to see shaking...

Charlie

User Info Menu

...eew....

User Info Menu

My band keeps threatening to learn it. I'm not that crazy about it myself but I know the crowd likes it.