Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wuhan cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Wuhan cymbals

I own 8&10" wuhan splashes. I'm a huge fan of the 10" because it has an open trashy sustain. In my opinion they're great for the price, I paid 60 bucks for the pair! I'm thinking of picking up a Wuhan 16" china. What do you guys think of wuhan cymbals?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Wuhan cymbals

I love my wuhan china, and Ive played some if thier crashes, very dirty trashy (in a good way) sounding crashes.

BackStreetDrums Guest

After spending so much $$ on Byzance jazz/vintage pies, I still needed a good crash that penetrated...got an 18" Wuhan, brand new for $56.00 on sale from MF...very impressed, better, if not as good, than an 18" Bosphorus Traditional crash I had...

Would highly recommend Wuhan for beginner to semi-pro.

User Info Menu

I have an 18" china I love have a 12" China but has a long crack in it.
    Conrad

User Info Menu

I'm using two WUHAN china cymbals in my current set-up.
    One is an 18 and the other is a 14.............both have their place.
    I use them entirely for effects.........nothing else.
    They are inexpensive and a good value.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I have an 18" china that sounds like a trash can lid---I love it!

User Info Menu

I can't remember if I had a 16 or an 18" Wuhan China, but it was great! I'd buy one of those cymbal springs to go with it. The spring helps prevent cracking AND the top (what's there instead of a normal wingnut) will actually fit down into the cup of a Wuhan.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by porkpieguy View Post
    I can't remember if I had a 16 or an 18" Wuhan China, but it was great! I'd buy one of those cymbal springs to go with it. The spring helps prevent cracking AND the top (what's there instead of a normal wingnut) will actually fit down into the cup of a Wuhan.
    I'll definitely get a cymbal spring when I get my china soon, thanks.

User Info Menu

I have a 12" Wuhan china as an effects cymbal. As others have said the trashiness is great.

User Info Menu

I have a 10" and an 8" Wuhan splash. Also a 12", 18", 16", and a 20" Wuhan china. I love the cymbals except the 8" and the 12". Wuhan's are cheap and good and trashy like a china should be.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

I enjoy my Wuhan cymbals. I think they're possibly some of the best cymbals with the lowest price tag.

User Info Menu

I have a Wuhan 10" splash. I actually use it as a primary crash when we play Bluegrass and quieter acoustic sets. The bright tone and fast decay fits very well. I can really "smack" it to get the full sound and not be overpowering. I'm seriously considering buying Wuhan 14" & 16" crashes & an 18" crash/ride...just to use for low to moderate volume gigs. I think they would fit nicely and give me a unique sound as well.

Plus, they're cheap.....which is always good.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I'm not a fan of my Wuhan china. It's a little too thick. I honestly don't even remember how I got it, if it was in store, or I ordered it. I hope I didn't pay too much for it though
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

I've read that all wuhan cymbals are made from b20 alloy, so they're not as low quality as you would think. Since wuhan cymbals are produced in China, the pay isn't very high and they have the ability to create a lot more cymbals in their large factories. This could be the reason they're sold very cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I have 2 Wuhan 8" splashes and really like them.........for $20/each they're a steal. I'm mainly a metal style player and they've held up very nicely.

User Info Menu

Last night I was riding my 10 inch Wuhan through a chorus...I'm just crazy like that!

User Info Menu

Wuhan's must but towards the top inthe bang for buck league. I've played various models and loved them all. That said, each cymbal is quite unique due to the hand hammering many of them recieve so if you were to line up a few 18" crashes they would all sound a bit different. Due to that, unlike other cymbals I've purchased (AAX/HHX) I would be wary of buying unseen because there is an inconsistency.
    PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |

User Info Menu

I have been playing the Wuhan “S’ series with my show kit for quite some time. Great sounding, very alive, and great volume without smacking the crap out of them. Mine are;
    14 hats
    16 crash
    17 crash
    18 crash/ride
    20 ride
    18 china.

Not sure they make the “S” series any more but a recent visit to a music store showed me their current line still sounds great. Yes the big three make great cymbals but Wuhan competes without the great price. Check them out.
    Last edited by rritter; 08-20-2014 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Add Picture
    Now playing Gretsch and Slingerland Drums

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rritter View Post
    I have been playing the Wuhan “S’ series with my show kit for quite some time. Great sounding, very alive, and great volume without smacking the crap out of them. Mine are;
    14 hats
    16 crash
    17 crash
    18 crash/ride
    20 ride
    18 china.

Not sure they make the “S” series any more but a recent visit to a music store showed me their current line still sounds great. Yes the big three make great cymbals but Wuhan competes without the great price. Check them out.
    Beautiful kit rritter. Did you get all of your wuhans as a set?

-Mike

User Info Menu

I've been using the 8" and 10" splashes for a little over a year. The 8" took a while to get that fast "splash", and the 10 hasn't caused me any problems. I love the quick china like sound they produce. Unfortunately, I've had some trouble finding Wuhan cymbals in Canada so I got mine off Ebay.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    Beautiful kit rritter. Did you get all of your wuhans as a set?
    I got the 16 and 18 with the 18 china as a special from MF. Thinking I would use the 16 and 18 with my practice kit of the time. I liked them so much I ordered the rest individually.
    FYI I have a full set of Zildjians that date back to 1964 when I got my first kit, a Slingerland 4 piece. I was in the 8th grade at the time. The Zildjians would be considered their A line of today. Great cymbals indeed and likely worth quite a bit do to their age.
    The kit in the picture is my Cat Maples in dark cherry burst, now my practice kit. I now play my Gretsch Renowns for my show kit in satin walnut burst.
    Now playing Gretsch and Slingerland Drums

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    I've been using the 8" and 10" splashes for a little over a year. The 8" took a while to get that fast "splash", and the 10 hasn't caused me any problems. I love the quick china like sound they produce. Unfortunately, I've had some trouble finding Wuhan cymbals in Canada so I got mine off Ebay.
    Yeah they are hard to find, my local store sometimes gets them in.

User Info Menu

I've really been considering trying a smaller crash... I am scared though because I've heard so many times you need to test them, yet.. no one around me carries them.
    Kits:

2014 Gretsch Catalina Club Classic 4pc Ocean Twilight Sparkle 8x12, 14x5.5, 14x14, 14x20

1976 Ludwig Classic 6pc Black Diamond Pearl (Restoration in progress)

Saluda Cymbals:

13" Symbolic Prototype Hand Hammered Jazz Hi Hats
    20" Earthworks Medium Crash/Ride
    15" Mist X Crash
    8" Decadence China Blast Splash

16" Rancan China

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumminchick View Post
    I've really been considering trying a smaller crash... I am scared though because I've heard so many times you need to test them, yet.. no one around me carries them.
    Wuhans are so inexpensive, you can take a chance and buy one on-line. If you like it, great. If not, just make a clock out of it, a lamp shade or cut it up into an effects cymbal.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I have a 16" Wuhan china and it is fantastic! Solid trashy sound with a short sustain.